Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2003 Hyundai accent question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Default 2003 Hyundai accent question

Hello I just bought a used 2003 hyundai accent gl 4 door with 70000 miles 5 speed. I have a couple of questions here .First problem here is that the air bag light just came on ,and when i start the car it will flash two times and will stay on. Second question is ,I have the digital odometer and that continues to stay on when the key is removed ,is that normal orshould it turn off? Thank you

Old 04-06-2009, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Get the air bag light looked at.

As for the odometer staying on, that's normal.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:07 PM

Hello. I know it's been around 7 years since this was addressed but I'm having a slow battery drain issue regarding a 2004 Accent Hatchback with a GT badge. If it's normal for the odometer to remain on with the key out of the vehicle, could someone please tell me some other things that might be causing the battery to drain down. Thanks in advance.

*When I remove the neg cable the battery remains the same.
*I made sure that everything is Off.
*There are no after market items installed.
*I checked the starter, alternator connections & the battery cables including ground.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:37 AM

Just a quick thank you to those taking time to welcome new members and to let you know that I searched Battery Drain instead of odometer, doh!. Thankfully there are youtube links in the replies showing how to trouble shoot. I tried Eric the Car Guy's test (removed neg cable, clipped leads to the bat & cable with meter on 10A, removed & replaced each and every fuse while watching for a drop in current) and the meter remained on 5.55.

If & when I locate the circuit causing the drain, I'll return in order to share the findings with other Accent owners experiencing this nightmare.
Thnx.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:48 PM

oops! it's a 2003

Ok, I found a reply from NovaR in another thread that it could be - Radio Memory. In the fuse box under the hood, there is a yellow plastic clip that houses two fuses, one 15A for Audio and one 10A for Room Lamp. In the Owners Manual, in Fuse Panel descriptions, it says that the Protected Components for this Audio fuse lists the following: Audio, Digital Clock, Power Antenna, A/C Switch, Rear Fog Lamp Switch.

The Inner Panel shows #14 being Audio with Protected Components listed as - Digital Clock, Audio, A/T shift & key lock control module.

*Question - Regarding: Radio Memory & Battery Drain -
If I just want to disconnect the radio (and its memory) to see if it is causing over-night parasitic battery drain, please tell me which one of these fuses I should remove?
Thank you.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:11 PM

Update. I performed the fuse pulling test again. With a fully charged battery, meter on 10A, neg. cable removed and leads clipped down, the meter read 0.45 and again nothing was detected when I removed each fuse one by one.

I removed the radio and put it in the trunk. I removed the cig lighter fuse and put it in the ash tray. Despite this, there is still a problem causing the battery to drain down over night.

Anyone with some spare time, please direct me to a thread or topic regarding what to do when pulling fuses fails to detect the problem circuit.
Thanks.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:29 PM

There are fuses in the engine compartment and inside the passenger cabin (in/under the dash)
Should also try pulling some relays to see if the current draw drops.

You can check out videos on youtube about parasitic draw.
Ericthecarguy has a decent video.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:58 AM

I found Eric's vid along with several others but none of them ended up pulling relays. Since they didn't, I was hesitant to. I'll get on it and hopefully find the culprit. Thanks.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:45 PM

Thanks Avisitor. I pulled all of the relays (aka fusible links) in the engine compartment.

I saved the one marked - 20A (30A) E.C.U. (DSL) for the very last.
The good news is that the 0.45 reading dropped down to 0.01

In order to find out what this means, I'll search for threads regarding ECU & parasitic drain.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:58 PM

If you pulled the fusible link for the ECU then you should know that it doesn't just power the ECU.
There are a bunch of circuit on that fusible link.
Getting an electrical schematic will help identify what else is powered by that fusible link.

Quick Reply: 2003 Hyundai accent question