Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2004 Accent Code 0734

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 07:26 AM
Default 2004 Accent Code 0734

My son has a 2004 Accent with 77k on it, the check engine light just came on and its getting a code 734, If it turns out to be a new Transmission any suggestions on a very cheap replacement or fix?
thanks

Old 05-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2004 Accent Code 0734

I have several answers for you. First of all, if your son is the original owner and resides in the U.S.,and has a transmission problem, it should be covered under the 10 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty (as long as he maintained the transmission including recommended fluid flush). Note that using a fluid in the transmission other than SP-III as required by Hyundai can cause damage to the transmission. If your son had the transmission flushed by a non-Hyundai shop and they used anything other than SP-III, the shop is liable for any damage to the transmission since they should know what the proper fluid is.

Code P0734 indicates a fourth gear system malfunction. It can be due to a bad pulse generator circuit (one of the sensors on the transmission), although the troubleshooting chart indicates you may see a P0717 or P0722 code as well.

Are there any driveability problems? If it is stuck in third gear, but putting the grear handle in low allows it to go into a lower gear, then your son's car is in "limp home" mode and it may just be the sensor.

If there are speed sensor disagreements, the car just goes to limp home mode because it doesn't have any idea what gear to be in.

If it turns out to be a sensor, the labor should beminimal (I think the trans sensors are fairly accessible), so the major expense is the cost of the sensor itself.

Good luck.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:24 PM

First of all, don't panic. Chances are it isnt the tranny. I have a 2001 Accent and the check engine light has come on at least 5 times, and only once was it the tranny. Has the car been shifting funny or bucking or sticking in gears? Has it seemed to have no power or sucky gas mileage? If not, and it drives mostly normal, I would not think it is the transmission. If you get water in the gas lines, or dont put the gas cap on properly, the light will come on. If one of your spark plugs or fuel ignitors misfires, the light will come on. If it is a manual and you shift it wrong, the light can come on. I just had my light come on a while ago, and it turned out I needed a new speed sensor - that was throwing off my gears and like 3 tranny codes came up, but my tranny itself is fine. So dont worry, try taking the gas cap off and putting it back on with at least three clicks, then turn the car off, disconnect the battery, reconnect it all after a minute and see if the light is still on. Good luck!

Old 05-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, there are something like 3 or 4 different speed sensors. If they are out of synch, you throw CELs and the car will not drive properly, but replace the offending sensor and things are fine.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:41 AM

We carried the car to the dealer we purchased from, and the service manager formed his opinion right away before checking out the car that it was out of warrenty, and my son failed to use the SP-III since we had no proof.
Around 3 that evening the call came in a new transmission $2495, needless to say we have the car at home. If we keep the OD off it drives fairly good but around 65 is the top speed on the interstate. I think we will just look for a used tranny somewhere.
Thanks for the replies

Old 05-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

WAIT A MINUTE! It's up to him to prove you used something other than SP-III, not the other way around. And if the fluid is still in the car, it can be analyzed to see what it is. This should be a warranty repair! They should do an analysis of the fluid.

If he had the transmission flushed ata different shop and THEY used the wrong fluid, THEY are liable. They are supposed to know what fluid to use in a car, and if their failure to use the recommended fluid caused a failure, the shop should be on the hook to pay for repairs.

You may need a lawyer to sort it out, or maybe small claims court. I wouldn't let it drop, though. If your son paid for someone to do a transmission service, they are supposed to do the service right; they are professionals and that's their business.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:33 PM

it might br the pulse generator my 99 accent with 70k miles is out of warranty as far as sensors go but the pulse generator has gone bad 5 times the last time was the most fun after no shifting and no movement of forward motion backing up was no problem the following codes came up 722 speed sensor open, 732 2nd gear ratio wrong, 734 4th gear ratio wrong and 1624 check engine light on turned out the speed sensor b was faulty and causing all the other cades the replaced the pulse generator part number 45955-38051 and take it to a lacal garage and have them look because the sensors and pulse generator are a non covered item because they are attached outside the tranny

Old 07-31-2007, 07:39 AM

that dealership sounds shotty... even if they did work on the vehicle, you can't be sure that they will do it right... I would try taking it to a different Dealership. Like what doohickie said... you might want to consult a lawyer. As far as the sensors go... could be that as well... gotta hate the newer vehicles and their electonic components... lol