Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2005 Accent OIL Filter problem...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Default 2005 Accent OIL Filter problem...

Yes, you can start laughing. I can't get the oil filter off my 2005 Accent.

I have torqued/turned/pulled/cursed at this thing COUNTER-clockwise if you face the front of the car(rotating toward the passenger door) for ....a long time with a oil filter grip and tools. I gave up, and in the next few days I am going to drain the oil (it has been a few thousand miles since this episode) and *try again* with some better / bigger tools.

IDID try initially when it didn't budge topull CLOCKwise (rotating toward the driver side), and also no movement.

Disclaimer: The oil pan bolt had threadlocker on it.* I DO NOT KNOWWHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD DO THAT.* I nearly broke my wrist when this bolt finally gave loose. So yes, I changed the oil and not the filter.

Ihave never done any other service to this vehicle myself. I purchased it in May 2007.
I fully intend to change my own oil because I am capable, have worked simple maintenance on many vehicle makes (Chevy, Honda, Saturn) and just don't want to take it in to a mechanic yet.

(Automatic, 4d, 25,000 miles)

Old 10-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2005 Accent OIL Filter problem...

There's no going back from this method, but have you considered driving a screwdriver through the filter? When it's just too darned tight, I've done that. Like I said, though, once you've poked the filter, you're committed.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:53 PM

Yep, I've considered this. I even had a replacement OEM filter on hand (probably won't stick to OEM much longer considering they haven't considered putting a better way to grip the damn thing).

I had a friend suggest it to me after he lent me his 'better' oil filter wrench that wouldn't stop slipping.

Thank you for the reply , but I still have no confirmation as to if I'm rotating/ pulling the filter off the correct way.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:23 PM

i had to use a pipe wrench when i changed the filter on my 07 for the first time... not alittle toy pipe wrench either, like and 18 incher

Old 10-16-2007, 10:50 PM

Wow... I just can't see anyone having such issues with a filter.
From the factory, they're spun on by machines and tight as ****, but after that its all arm strength.

Grip it and rip it man!

Old 10-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

I agree but he said this is first oil change he's done since he bought the car in May. Who knows what the previous person did, especially if they used threadlocker on the oil pan bolt?

Be careful if you use something other than a Hyundai OEM filter; some filters (*cough, cough*Fram*cough*) have been linked to oil starvation and have caused engine knock. The problem, I think, is that some filters are advertised for Hyundai applications but they have Honda specs including a higher bypass valve pressure, which means it doesn't bypass as early as it should and not enough oil gets to the engine during high demand periods. Purolator and I think Wix have the proper specs.

I only pay $6 for a filter or $15.95 for the whole oil change at my dealer, so I've been sticking with OEM.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:31 AM

Last post before I go nuts:

Grip and turn oil filterTOWARD passenger or TOWARD driver side to get it off?

Have I just had the wrong angle on this and don't understand right-tight/ left-loose?

I have pulled/rotated/turned ittoward passenger side. Anyone who does their own maint: Is this wrong?

I should've been more specific in my OP that I was concerned I was doing it the wrong way, and not all the other details.

Edit: *Thank you* for all your thoughts, my bad for not being more specific.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:30 PM

... if the oil filter is pointing out to the front of the car you should be turning toward the passenger side... get a pipe wrench... good luck

Old 10-17-2007, 10:46 PM

Turn it counter clockwise.
Going towards the doors can get a little confusing.
Just go counter clockwise.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:55 AM

Thank you again, will be working on that this weekend. I've got some friends' tools that should do the trick.
Yeah, you helped me realize I was in fact pulling on it the correct way (counter clockwise).....just need more leverage.

Quick Reply: 2005 Accent OIL Filter problem...