Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Accent (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-accent-16/)
-   -   2012 Accent Fuel Economy (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-accent-16/2012-accent-fuel-economy-11533/)

DAVIDG 09-29-2011 06:45 PM

2012 Accent Fuel Economy

Hi, just bought a 2012 Accent hatch Marathon Blue....impressed with the warranty. Your feedback please?

NovaResource 09-30-2011 07:59 AM

Welcome and congrats. Best of luck with it.

gychang 10-15-2011 10:08 AM

is it relatively quiet on the road?

gychang

Originally Posted by DAVIDG (Post 39698)
Hi, just bought a 2012 Accent hatch Marathon Blue....impressed with the warranty. Your feedback please?

DAVIDG 10-16-2011 03:43 AM

quiet ride

Originally Posted by gychang (Post 39918)
is it relatively quiet on the road?

gychang

It is relatively quiet. The ride is firm, not cushy. Steering is responsive.

Catdaddy74 10-17-2011 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by DAVIDG (Post 39933)
It is relatively quiet. The ride is firm, not cushy. Steering is responsive.

I agree with you, David. I've had my Mocha Bronze hatch for 2 weeks now and I'm completely happy with it. Very smooth and plenty of power when needed. Lots of car for your money!

DAVIDG 10-18-2011 11:01 AM

Hi,

How's your mileage? I'm averaging about 33, but have not gotten above 37 with straight highway, I expected better. I've heard that the mileage computers aren't always accurate but that's little comfort. I'd heard that "real time" mileage would even be above what claimed. Thanks,

(Marathon Blue, purchased in Sept)

NovaResource 10-18-2011 11:05 AM

Mileage increases as the engine gets broken in.
Mileage depends greatly on the way it's driven (lots of idling, stop and go traffic, hard acceleration, A/C usage, hills, etc).
The computer mileage is very accurate. My Tucson and Sedona are usually within 0.1 MPG of calculated MPG. However it ranges from -1 to +1 MPG of calculated.
The computer is a cumulative MPG (over the tank of gas), not instant MPG of what the engine is getting at any particular time.
And you should always calculate MPG manually.

DAVIDG 10-19-2011 09:06 PM

Hi, and thanks for your reply.
I gassed up tonight, after 280 miles. About 200 of it was pure highway, the rest suburban, no true "city" driving, thus few stop lights, etc. and at 61 years, I'm a conscientious driver, no fast starts, idling, etc. It took 8.5 gallon, averaging out to about 33.5. That seems low when 30/40 js advertised. Also I was told to expect even better "real life" mileage.
I like every other thing about the car but the mileage is a big disappointment. Thanks, David

Marathon Blue SE 12-09-2011 12:36 AM

I hear you on the mileage. I just hit 700 miles (the car came with 100 on it already). I've filled up twice beyond the initial dealership fillup. I'm averaging 30.2 mpg (calculated manually) but the comp says I'm 31.5-32mpg. So I guess expect 1-2 mgp lower than what is displayed.

I should mention that I drive 95% city, at least half of which is in some degree of stop-and-go congestion, and I also have to drive some hills quite frequently. And when I do get on the freeway, seldom am I able to sustain a cruising speed anyway, so it's much more like "city" driving. Living in Los Angeles is not the best recipe for optimal fuel economy! I do however accelerate about 20% slower than the average driver, coast about 40% more than average, and have grown a thick skin regarding people riding my tail when I'm going the exact speed limit. Otherwise I'd probably be *gulp* in the 27-28mpg range for sure.

Something I've realized, driving late at night on larger avenues/boulevards, is if I can get into 6th gear at around 42-45 mph and anticipate the lights well enough, I get FANTASTIC mileage. It makes sense.. if you can drive for stretches at 45mph you'll be in the most efficient gear at the lowest rpms. Too bad there isn't a special freeway lane for that speed.. I'm guessing you could achieve 45-50mpg that way.

SoCalSE-Driver 01-10-2012 01:59 AM

Hello all,
I purchased a 2012 Accent SE Hatch in mocha bronze for me, and a 2012 Tucson AWD for the wife. We traded in two guzzlers: 2007 GMC 2500HD Z71 4x4 Diesel and a 03 Chevy Suburban. Needless to say a win-win all the round. Even though my fuel expenses have dramatically decreased, I must say I am a bit disappointed about the actual mileage I have been getting out of both vehicles, especially the Tucson. The wife is averaging 18-21 and I am averaging 29 to 31 of mostly highway miles in cruise control at 70mph. Again, love the cars, but was just expecting more drive time between fill ups.