Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Accent (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-accent-16/)
-   -   2012 Accent Fuel Economy (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-accent-16/2012-accent-fuel-economy-11533/)

DAVIDG 09-29-2011 06:45 PM

2012 Accent Fuel Economy

Hi, just bought a 2012 Accent hatch Marathon Blue....impressed with the warranty. Your feedback please?

NovaResource 09-30-2011 07:59 AM

Welcome and congrats. Best of luck with it.

gychang 10-15-2011 10:08 AM

is it relatively quiet on the road?

gychang

Originally Posted by DAVIDG (Post 39698)
Hi, just bought a 2012 Accent hatch Marathon Blue....impressed with the warranty. Your feedback please?

DAVIDG 10-16-2011 03:43 AM

quiet ride

Originally Posted by gychang (Post 39918)
is it relatively quiet on the road?

gychang

It is relatively quiet. The ride is firm, not cushy. Steering is responsive.

Catdaddy74 10-17-2011 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by DAVIDG (Post 39933)
It is relatively quiet. The ride is firm, not cushy. Steering is responsive.

I agree with you, David. I've had my Mocha Bronze hatch for 2 weeks now and I'm completely happy with it. Very smooth and plenty of power when needed. Lots of car for your money!

DAVIDG 10-18-2011 11:01 AM

Hi,

How's your mileage? I'm averaging about 33, but have not gotten above 37 with straight highway, I expected better. I've heard that the mileage computers aren't always accurate but that's little comfort. I'd heard that "real time" mileage would even be above what claimed. Thanks,

(Marathon Blue, purchased in Sept)

NovaResource 10-18-2011 11:05 AM

Mileage increases as the engine gets broken in.
Mileage depends greatly on the way it's driven (lots of idling, stop and go traffic, hard acceleration, A/C usage, hills, etc).
The computer mileage is very accurate. My Tucson and Sedona are usually within 0.1 MPG of calculated MPG. However it ranges from -1 to +1 MPG of calculated.
The computer is a cumulative MPG (over the tank of gas), not instant MPG of what the engine is getting at any particular time.
And you should always calculate MPG manually.

DAVIDG 10-19-2011 09:06 PM

Hi, and thanks for your reply.
I gassed up tonight, after 280 miles. About 200 of it was pure highway, the rest suburban, no true "city" driving, thus few stop lights, etc. and at 61 years, I'm a conscientious driver, no fast starts, idling, etc. It took 8.5 gallon, averaging out to about 33.5. That seems low when 30/40 js advertised. Also I was told to expect even better "real life" mileage.
I like every other thing about the car but the mileage is a big disappointment. Thanks, David

Marathon Blue SE 12-09-2011 12:36 AM

I hear you on the mileage. I just hit 700 miles (the car came with 100 on it already). I've filled up twice beyond the initial dealership fillup. I'm averaging 30.2 mpg (calculated manually) but the comp says I'm 31.5-32mpg. So I guess expect 1-2 mgp lower than what is displayed.

I should mention that I drive 95% city, at least half of which is in some degree of stop-and-go congestion, and I also have to drive some hills quite frequently. And when I do get on the freeway, seldom am I able to sustain a cruising speed anyway, so it's much more like "city" driving. Living in Los Angeles is not the best recipe for optimal fuel economy! I do however accelerate about 20% slower than the average driver, coast about 40% more than average, and have grown a thick skin regarding people riding my tail when I'm going the exact speed limit. Otherwise I'd probably be *gulp* in the 27-28mpg range for sure.

Something I've realized, driving late at night on larger avenues/boulevards, is if I can get into 6th gear at around 42-45 mph and anticipate the lights well enough, I get FANTASTIC mileage. It makes sense.. if you can drive for stretches at 45mph you'll be in the most efficient gear at the lowest rpms. Too bad there isn't a special freeway lane for that speed.. I'm guessing you could achieve 45-50mpg that way.

SoCalSE-Driver 01-10-2012 01:59 AM

Hello all,
I purchased a 2012 Accent SE Hatch in mocha bronze for me, and a 2012 Tucson AWD for the wife. We traded in two guzzlers: 2007 GMC 2500HD Z71 4x4 Diesel and a 03 Chevy Suburban. Needless to say a win-win all the round. Even though my fuel expenses have dramatically decreased, I must say I am a bit disappointed about the actual mileage I have been getting out of both vehicles, especially the Tucson. The wife is averaging 18-21 and I am averaging 29 to 31 of mostly highway miles in cruise control at 70mph. Again, love the cars, but was just expecting more drive time between fill ups.

Marathon Blue SE 01-10-2012 02:38 AM

I believe the EPA highway estimates are based off traveling at 55mph, so it's not surprising you're not experiencing mpg in the high 30s and low 40s. Having said that, 29 is awfully low if you do drive mostly highway. I'm a 90%+ city (with crap traffic) driver, and I'm averaging about 30 for the life of my car so far (only 1400 miles). I do practice some semi-conservative driving techniques (coasting up to traffic lights longer than my fellow Angelenos generally appreciate, moderate acceleration, cruising in optimal gears/speeds).

As much as this may suck, try dropping 5mph off your highway speed and see what happens. Select the "instant mpg" feature on your display.. it's probably far from accurate, but it gives you an idea if you're driving efficiently or not. Also, cruise control can help your mileage if you have fairly flat and smooth drives, but if you have to do any hills, take the cruise off.

NovaResource 01-10-2012 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by SoCalSE-Driver (Post 41252)
.... at 70mph....

^^^ There's your problem.
Slow down.

SoCalSE-Driver 01-11-2012 06:23 PM

Hold on a sec Nova. This is 2012 and I should not have to limp my new car around town to obtain conservative MPG averages, especially when the high MPG ratings were a key selling point of the vehicle. I am by NO means a lead foot, but come on. For example: I have a 1994 Ford Ranger 3.0 V-6 that religiously gets me 18-20 mpg no matter how hard I push it. I can drive 70-80mph all day long and I still am good. I am simply stating, as I believe others are and are learning, that WE expected a bit more in the MPG than what we are actually getting. We were told one thing, but are experiencing something different.

I just want to be told the straight skinny on things, don't sugar it or stretch it out to the extremes. I called my salesman (great guy) and told him of my MPG results. He informed me, "Well, you have to learn how to drive the vehicle differently than what you are used to." Ah.....excuse me? You never gave me that "disclaimer" prior to the sale. Then it was "You are going to love the HIGH EPA of 31-40 MPG this little car gets all day long!" hmmmmm. Now, I have to set the cruise control at 55mph, turn off the A/C, set the ECO button to on, and make sure I have gone to the bathroom before driving to lighten the load, before I can experience the advertized fuel averages. Again, I love the car and it is definitely a win-win for me, I just wish they would have been a bit more realistic with the EPA figures. The figures they pull off a stationary dino or by driving at a secluded track on in Korea are not the same as USA driving standards. :-)

NovaResource 01-11-2012 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalSE-Driver (Post 41281)
Hold on a sec Nova. This is 2012 and I should not have to limp my new car around town to obtain conservative MPG averages, especially when the high MPG ratings were a key selling point of the vehicle.

It doesn't matter what year it is. Physics laws can't be broken. The faster you go, the less fuel mileage you get. As speeds increase, so does wind resistance (exponentially). That's Physics 101.

The MPG ratings are done at 55-mph. If you want get the ratings, then drive 55-mph. If you want to go faster than 55-mph, then expect lower fuel economy.

Marathon Blue SE 01-12-2012 02:37 AM

In a way I agree with you both. SoCal, technically you could have researched the specs on how EPA reaches its numbers and then understood beforehand that you might not get them with your typical speeds.

I do however sympathize with your reasoning. I had a 2001 VR6 Jetta with a 4 speed automatic transmission that got 20-24mpg for me, and that thing zipped around and had some fun torque, let me tell you! Never once did I give a thought to conservative driving techniques, on the contrary, I drove it rather sportily, and I consistently got that mpg.

Now I have this new SIX speed variable transmission, in a smaller and lighter body, with a smaller engine, and several other features with improved mileage in mind, and I'm getting what.. 8mpg more. AND driving like a grandma to get it! Keep in mind that I'm talking about city driving, where wind resistance doesn't play as much of a part.

Even though the EPA revised their standards in 2008, they are still too liberal with their numbers imo. Most people will never see EPA numbers. I for one drive in city traffic 90% of the time, and half of that is pretty congested. I don't know what kind of cities EPA had in mind, but stopping once a mile? Please! I often have to stop once a *yard* At any rate, if I remember correctly, the EPA never actually puts cars "into the field", they just run them on those roller "car treadmills" with a computer simulating driving conditions. No wonder they're hard to attain.

I'll end this rant with a suggestion: my BEST mileage comes at 45mph. This is the point at which the highest gear kicks in (on my automatic). If you have a choice between cruising at 40mph or 45, kick it up a bit. Conversely, the faster you go beyond 45mph, the lower your efficiency will be. Just put your instant mpg function on your display, you'll see what I'm talking about.

SoCalSE-Driver 01-12-2012 11:12 AM

Exactly!

Marathon Blue,

Thank you for at least exploring my thought process :). I understand the physics process just fine, and I also understand convoluted, red tape, EPA B.S. too, which tends to fall within the shady economics arena. Bottom line, EPA says: "If you want to sell your cars here, make sure they fall within these new translucent guidelines." So, the car manufactures do what ever they can to obtain those figures by the least expensive means possible, including removing a standard spare tire and replacing it with a cheap air pump and a small bag of fix-a-flat! Weight to power ratio: physics once again.....

Pretty soon, car companies are going to tell the buyers, "if you want to achieve 40mpg, you have to be under 6 foot tall and weigh under 200 lbs." That includes a half tank of gas and 1.5 passengers going down hill. The American public can accept the truth about true MPG ratings, just don't tell us openly we are going to expect a result, e.g 30-40mpg and then throw a whole can of behind the scene "conditions" to make those ratings a reality. There are too many "conditions" placed on something that should be already worked into the equation. :rolleyes: After reality based testings, just tell me what the numbers really are. I can handle it. The problem is, they (the car companies) are all in the market to out due one another and they know their sales will plummet if they speak the truth without softening the blow a bit.

Nova, when I mentioned the year, 2012, I was simply implying the technology is readily available to produce a car which can reach 30-35mph all day long without having to drive it around like it you had a lidless cup of hot coffee in your lap. The problem is that it is too $$$$$ and they can make more money with what they are doing now.

Rant concluded.

NovaResource 01-12-2012 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by SoCalSE-Driver (Post 41292)
Nova, when I mentioned the year, 2012, I was simply implying the technology is readily available to produce a car which can reach 30-35mph all day long without having to drive it around like it you had a lidless cup of hot coffee in your lap. The problem is that it is too $$$$$ and they can make more money with what they are doing now.

Yes, the technology does exist but that type of car you wouldn't want to drive. It wouldn't have crash protection (multiple air bags, ABS, TCS), electronic "toys" (navigation, backup cameras, multi speaker sound systems, power seats, power windows, heated seats, AWD, 6-speed transmissions) and wouldn't have nice 17 or 18" wheels. All these things add weight and lower fuel economy. We make lighter and ligher parts yet we keep adding more and more things to the car that keep the weight the same.

For example:
- my 2006 Tucson FWD 2.7L V6 4-speed automatic is rated 18/24 mpg and weighs 3370-lbs (source)
- your 2012 Tucson AWD 2.4L 4-cylinder 6-speed automatic is rated 21/28 mpg and weighs 3366-lbs. (source)

As you can see, 2 cars with the same weight yet yours is more eficient but it still weights a lot. I regularly get 22-mpg in about 50/50 driving in my less efficient Tucson. It's all about driving style.

DAVIDG 01-12-2012 11:47 AM

Accent Mileage

I have a 2012 Accent, automatic, with about 5,300 miles on it. I like everything about it but the mileage.
I ive and drive in a rural area averaging 1 light or stop sign per mile.
I thought that was closer to highway but I've been told it's not.( I'm from Brooklyn and 1 stop per mile is not city driving, city is closer to 5 - 10 stops per mile, in stop and go traffic).
I too am driving absolutely like a grandmother, coasting, staying below 2rpm when accelerating, watching every little thing and not enjoying the ride. I'm averaging 32.5. My previous car, a 1994 Geo Prism with 196,000 miles on it averaged 28, driving how I pleased. I've done 150 miles on straight highway but have never averaged above 36 mpg.
I too am very disappointed with this. It's not the price of gas, but the lack of what you expected from your ride. I'm afraid if I ever drive relaxedly, even in a rural area, I'd get below 30mpg and in a city, who knows? Who is responsible for the 30 - 40 estimates? It deserves an explanation. Do I have to make sure I'm barefoot and with no change in my pockets to do a little better? (Not a rant, a justified thoughtful complaint).
(Check out a site called "Fuelly" you can post your mileage see what other cars and drivers are getting). I'm on there as "Blue Bonnet".
Thanks

SoCalSE-Driver 01-12-2012 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource (Post 41293)
Yes, the technology does exist but that type of car you wouldn't want to drive. It wouldn't have crash protection (multiple air bags, ABS, TCS), electronic "toys" (navigation, backup cameras, multi speaker sound systems, power seats, power windows, heated seats, AWD, 6-speed transmissions) and wouldn't have nice 17 or 18" wheels. All these things add weight and lower fuel economy. We make lighter and ligher parts yet we keep adding more and more things to the car that keep the weight the same.

For example:
- my 2006 Tucson FWD 2.7L V6 4-speed automatic is rated 18/24 mpg and weighs 3370-lbs (source)
- your 2012 Tucson AWD 2.4L 4-cylinder 6-speed automatic is rated 21/28 mpg and weighs 3366-lbs. (source)

As you can see, 2 cars with the same weight yet yours is more eficient but it still weights a lot. I regularly get 22-mpg in about 50/50 driving in my less efficient Tucson. It's all about driving style.

Okay, putting your logic to the test: If my car is lighter, and has all that JAZZ removed from it, minus the cool 16's, then why am I/we NOT obtaining the 30-40mpg we were all sold on. It is not just the style of driving, it also has to do with design and political B.S. Inflated EPA numbers (obtained only with special conditions attached) like FINE PRINT in a contract is not really as up front as the American people want.

Why do you think the guzzlers sell so well? It is because people make the choice to purchase them KNOWING what they are getting. When I shopped around, I purchased my Hyundai's on the premiss I was going to achieve the MPG THEY advertised for just driving the car, not caressing and babying it all round town. Simply put: Test the cars as your consumers drive them and give them the straight dope on it! If I would have known then what I know now, I may have purchased a different vehicle. One that averages what the sticker says no matter how I drive it. That is why there is such a difference in the MPG ratings, e.g. blah-blah City, blah-blah Hwy. Ratings used to mean the incorporation of varied driving habits, lead foot vs. light foot. The city MPG is what you got when you drove aggressively and the Hwy MPG is what you got when you were less on the peddle. The reason so many of us, and the number is growing on this particular issue, is when just driving normal, we don't even get the lowest estimated number of 30 MPG, most are seeing 28-29MPG. Again, not a dismal number in regards to fuel economy, but NOT close to the mid 30's we would have expected for just driving as a normal everyday schmuck. Come on! Pretty soon Hyundai is going to be giving driving classes as a prerequisite to obtain THEIR respective EPA numbers.

My 1994 Corvette was one of the best fuel economy vehicles I have ever owned that it had a 330HP LT1 engine in it. It was light and had all the bells and whistles on it. Still, it averaged 18-24 MPG religiously, and I stomped on it!

Let's just come to an agreement. I think Hyundai really played with the numbers this year to stay on top of the competition. They technically didn't tell a lie, but there again, they aren't really speaking the truth either. Smoke and mirrors :cool: I agree with DavidG all the way.

NovaResource 01-12-2012 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalSE-Driver (Post 41296)
Let's just come to an agreement. I think Hyundai really played with the numbers this year to stay on top of the competition. They technically didn't tell a lie, but there again, they aren't really speaking the truth either. Smoke and mirrors :cool: I agree with DavidG all the way.

Hyundai didn't do anything different than any other car company. The fuel mileage ratings are done by the EPA, not Hyundai.

SoCalSE-Driver 01-12-2012 09:09 PM

Nova, I love your dedication! :-)

SoCalSE-Driver 01-15-2012 04:47 PM

I am pleased to report the average MPG is improving! :-)

DAVIDG 01-16-2012 03:47 PM

@SoCal,

Keep us updated on your mileage. I'm going to drive this tankful in "normal" mode. I'd been driving with so much attention to being careful about mileage, coasting, easy accelerations etc, that it was almost dangerous. I'll let you know whether or not there's improvement.
Thanks.

Marathon Blue SE 01-17-2012 02:39 AM

David, I added you as a friend on fuelly.com. I'm "Mr. Marathon".. or I think MattyT is my username.

As you can see, I'm averaging 30.9 mpg after 6 fillups. Not awful, but like many have said, I am having ZERO fun driving this car. Coasting, slow cornering, slow acceleration, slow up hills, etc. etc. I shudder to think what I'd be getting with eco off and old fun driving habits resumed (in fact there are a handful of Accent drivers on Fuelly in the 25-27 range. yikes).

I really ought to go on an extended drive up the coast on the PCH some day.. keep my speed right around 55 for a hundred miles and see what happens to my mileage. As it stands, most of my driving is traffic-light-stop-and-go-20-40mph city driving.

Another thing: that MPG computer is off by at least 1.5-2.5 mpg every single time I fill up. I'm so depressed by getting less real world mileage than what I think I'm getting that I have the display set to something meaningless.. like my trip miles or my average speed or something.

SoCal, I understand your angst, but the EPA tests all vehicles with the same procedures. Like Nova said. I have the feeling all these new Ford and Mazda drivers who are purchasing their latest vehicles boasting "up to" 40mpg will suffer similar disillusionment.

SoCalSE-Driver 01-17-2012 11:00 PM

In the same boat.

[quote=SoCal, I understand your angst, but the EPA tests all vehicles with the same procedures. Like Nova said. I have the feeling all these new Ford and Mazda drivers who are purchasing their latest vehicles boasting "up to" 40mpg will suffer similar disillusionment.[/quote]

Yup, I am feeling the same as well. At this point, I am wishing Hyundai would have put in a 15 gal tank, at least then I could feel like I was going longer between fill ups because of better millage. As of right now, I am visiting the gas station with almost the same frequency as when I had the guzzlers, the only difference is I am not spending as much to fill the tank and the millage is about the same. :cool:

tbb10785 01-18-2012 09:03 AM

Here's a mid-winter update on my 2012 Accent (hatch w/auto), tracked miles over 19,000.
MPG from 7/25/11 - 12/7/11, 39.48MPG on 14,238 miles tracked.
MPG from 12/8/11 - 1/16/12 36.94MPG on 5,229 miles tracked with snow tires.

I found out how important aerodynamics are after hitting a raccoon and seeing about a 10% drop in MPG. The front bumper cover really didn't look that bad, missing cover were fog light would be installed (if I had any), and a 6-8 inch rip in the plastic. MPG returned to former levels after repairs.

The car is working great. I have two jobs which require me to travel almost 1,000 miles a week. My Accent is usually full and the back seats are almost always folded down and with the hatchback layout it's like my "mini" mini-van.

Oh, I'm trying a little experiment with the "ECO" feature. The first 19,000 tracked miles were with the "ECO" button on/engaged but I never liked how the car pulled away from a stop, jerky, kind of like someone who didn't know how to drive a manual shift. I plan to drive without "ECO" until at least mid-summer and compare to my previous MPG's. The car does "feel" much better at low speeds with the ECO off. I think I can use my brain and light foot to obtain the same MPG but time will tell.

I track my fuel-ups at 2012_Hyundai_ Accent-w/auto trans (Hyundai Accent) | Fuelly and there's another tread on the 2012 Accent and MPG at 2012 Hyundai Accent - Page 2 - CleanMPG Forums

Take care,

Bruce Brown
Le Roy, WV

tbb10785 01-18-2012 09:11 AM

Two other items to mention. My onboard computer calculated MPG is always about 3 mpg higher than my actual MPG. In other words, the dash says 43 mpg and my actual trip miles divided by my gallons at the pump equal 40 mpg. FYI, the highest readings of had over a tank of gas with the onboard MPG is in the 49's. Maybe low 50's will show up this spring after the snow tires are removed.

Second, if anyone wants to email directly it's tbb10785@hotmail.com

DAVIDG 01-19-2012 12:13 PM

@tbb

Hi, your mileage is 25% greater than most. How do we account for that I wonder. As you can see most of us are just managing to get in the low 30's.
("Fuelly" is a sit that lets you compare mileages with other makes, etc.)

I, and we, want to hear more about how you're doing this. Thanks,

David

NovaResource 01-19-2012 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by DAVIDG (Post 41383)

He knows that and tracks his economy there under the user name tbb10785:

Originally Posted by tbb10785 (Post 41371)

Hi, your mileage is 25% greater than most. How do we account for that I wonder. As you can see most of us are just managing to get in the low 30's.

I'm going to guess highway driving as opposed to city. Over 6 months, 19K miles and 70+ fuel-ups his average is 38.8-MPG averaging 77% highway driving. His best was 47.5-MPG on a trip that was 95% highway.

Marathon Blue SE 01-20-2012 02:32 AM

I was going to educated-guess that tbb drives a lot of highway. This car isn't a hybrid, there's gonna be a significant difference between highway mpg and stop-and-go.. man and am I feeling that. I think this tank will be under 29mpg. I didn't have the occasion to do any highway driving whatsoever, and I've been sick and tired of driving like there's a carton of eggs on my roof.

tbb10785 01-20-2012 07:21 AM

@tbb

I, and we, want to hear more about how you're doing this. Thanks,
David

Hey David,

I'll be happy to share the what, where, and how about my driving as objectively as possible. FYI, I'm an accountant/CPA by training so my background is to document my work :-). Also, I roadraced motorcycles for about 8 years which helped me get "in tune" with a vehicle and how it feels (I think).

My Accent driving (random order);

Very few trips less than one hour or once the car is started I usually drive at least 45-60 minutes before stopping. FYI, I noticed with the on-board avg mpg that gas mileage really suffers in my Accent until everything is warmed-up.

I drive 90% of the time using the cruise. Thumbing up and down quickly to raise or lower the speed, one thumb up or down equals about 1 mph.

Check out my other cars in my Fuelly garage which are mostly my fill-ups. My wife mainly drives the Rogue and the 95 Subaru has now gone on to my daughter (she doesn't track her fuel). Notice with my driving I average about the EPA estimated highway MPG. see - https://www.fuelly.com/driver/tbb10785

Driving the same car, take the Rogue for instance, I average 1-2mpg higher than my wife. Why? Longer trips, I driving closer to 65mph on the interstate versus 70mph for her, and I believe I coast a bit more when coming to a stop.

MPH - I usually drive no faster than an indicated 68-69mpg, which is actually 65mph. If the speed is posted less than 70mph I just drive the speed limit.

I try to coast to stop as much as possible without becoming a big traffic hazard. Also, I try to time stop lights so don't have to come to a complete stop at each one.

Tire pressure - OEM tires 40 psi. Snow tires 35 psi (not sure the extra pressure actually helps)

I watch my revs when pulling out and try to keep them under 2,500 rpm's but usually see the lower gears shift close to 3,000 rpm's. Again, if traffic demands it I get up to speed so I'm not a traffic hazard.

When coasting to a stop. If I can time it correctly I let off the gas way ahead of time and slip the tranny into neutral. I really not sure this helps or not. Traffic doesn't allow this very often either and sometimes I just don't mess with it.

Gasoline - 87 octane of whatever station has the lowest price.

Oil - Amsoil OE 5w-30 with an OEM filter. I do my own oil changes every 5,000 miles. First oil change at 1,500 miles, second at 5,000 miles, third at 10,000 and so on.

NovaResource 01-20-2012 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by tbb10785 (Post 41394)
When coasting to a stop. If I can time it correctly I let off the gas way ahead of time and slip the tranny into neutral. I really not sure this helps or not.

That doesn't help and can actually hurt MPG (as well as being illegal). Putting a car in neutral means the engine needs fuel to continue turning. When you coast in gear, the computer cuts off the fuel because the inertia of the car is turning the engine via the transmission. Yes, there is a bit of drag that way compared to coasting in gear but it is more than made up for by not using fuel. Also, I've found that giving just a slight bit of throttle as opposed to being completely off the throttle helps the coasting in gear. Also, the lockup converter puts more drag on the car while coasting. One tap of the brakes ever so slightly disengages the lockup converter helping the car to coast longer.

DAVIDG 01-21-2012 02:40 AM

Hi all, thanks for contributing,

Marathon, you've put that well, driving like there's a carton of eggs on the roof. I too have felt like a traffic hazard.
I've had a slight increase, maybe, since I changed oil (at 5200) with Mobil1 5-20 synthetic (+ Mobil filter), to 34 mpg. I'm going to ride this tank more in the "normal" manner and see what happens. I've been in "eco" the whole time, the next tank wll experiment with it off.
I've less than 1 stop per mile so it's more, IMO, like highway than city. Some hills as well. My average trip though is about 14 miles, relatively short I suppose. It seems that real city driving would result in 25mpg! I hope not.
Looking outside, it's snowing, I'll let you all know about it.
Again you guys have been helpful, I appreciate it.

tbb10785 01-22-2012 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource (Post 41397)
That doesn't help and can actually hurt MPG (as well as being illegal). Putting a car in neutral means the engine needs fuel to continue turning. <snip> Also, the lockup converter puts more drag on the car while coasting. One tap of the brakes ever so slightly disengages the lockup converter helping the car to coast longer.

Thanks NovaResource! Yep, your post is exactly what I had read about the new fuel injection systems (well it's been out a while now, lol). Thanks for the tip on the easy tap on the brakes.

I'm always trying little things with my driving if for no other reason just to entertain myself since I average about 800 miles a week of seat time.

tbb10785 01-22-2012 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by tbb10785 (Post 41394)
Oil - Amsoil OE 5w-30 with an OEM filter. I do my own oil changes every 5,000 miles. First oil change at 1,500 miles, second at 5,000 miles, third at 10,000 and so on.

Sorry, it's 5w-20 Amsoil not 5w-30, our Nissan Rogue takes the 5w-30.

mrmr256 01-22-2012 11:01 PM

I've noticed an increase in mpg AND less pinging/chugging when I switched to full synthetic on my third oil change. When I talk about average mpg, I'm not using the computers, just a simple tripmeter reading / gas.

Other things I've learned since owning the car... eco does help, but your habits have to drastically change to milk the most out of eco. Accelerating does take a lot longer, especially when trying to reach 65mph speeds. The car manual does not say if eco mode changes your gas injection volume... but it does change gear ratio settings (hence the longer accelerating length). If you do city driving, it's useless driving in eco mode unless you want to piss other drivers off and if you love waiting on red lights... So, as far as I know, eco mode changes how your transmission works and I'm not sure about what it does to gas. I did not notice a difference in mpg when turning on eco mode when I'm cruising at 65mph.

About mpg.... lately I've been doing some site visits for my job, at least once a week, so that's about 260 miles round trip of 70% highway driving. I then average about 110-120 miles before the gas light comes on, so as little as 370 miles (average driving) total. I also know that when the light comes on, it will take over, or almost 9 gallons to fill it up... so just doing the math there, I'm over 40mpg. Now if I just go to work for a full week, which is how long gas will last me, I average 35-37mpg (35mpg if I'm carpooling two heavy set people). My MPGs were below 35 when I was using regular oil. So yeah, synthetic oil helps.

To those still having below expected mpg, you have to really pay attention to your driving habits. My overall driving habits have changed since I've owned the car. At first I was getting &quot;crappy&quot; mpg than what was advertised, but I've come to learn that the 40mpg does exist under certain habits. And I've only started to hit 40mpg after 9k miles. I'm not at 12k miles. So hang in there and work on your driving habits and yes, the onboard computer that calculates average mpg is off... so don't trust that. It actually calculates average mpg different than how you simply divide your trip miles by the amount of gas used to fill it up (as long as you zeroed it out prior to filling it up last time).

@tbb... what oil filter are you using?

tbb10785 01-23-2012 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by mrmr256 (Post 41439)
@tbb... what oil filter are you using?

Hyundai OEM filter

Thanks for your post above!

SoCalSE-Driver 01-31-2012 12:59 AM

Okay fellas, this is what I got since I bought the car. ECO on and ECO off, doesn't matter. Like I have said before, this is me driving the car "egg cartons" and all,as well as in "normal" guy mode. I drive an average of 70-80 miles a day on the freeway and use cruise control the majority of the time. My average "real world" speed is between 60-70mph in the HOV lane. City driving is normal and not heavy on the pedal at all. My computer consistently shows 33.5 to 36 mpg on the freeway and 32/33mpg around town. I believe the best I'm going to get with "MY" driving style is between 29 and 32 MPG's. And you know what....... I'm okay with that. It's way better than 10.5 mpg I was getting before and I have XM radio. :-) I am going to try the synthetic oil however.

1/03/12 to 1/08/12 10.32 gals in= 29.75 mpg
1/08/12 to 1/18/12 10.33 gals in= 30.59 mpg
1/18/12 to 1/24/12 10.58 gals in= 28.73 mpg
1/24/12 to 1/30/12 10.10 gals in= 29.70 mpg

P.S. I use the Mileage app on my DROID X to log all my vehicles fuel stats.
mileage@evancharltion.com

Marathon Blue SE 01-31-2012 03:57 AM

The 30mpg I'm averaging is certainly better than the 20-24 I was getting in my VR6 Jetta. But the constant nagging question for me is: was it worth it? My buddy has an 08 Honda Fit and averages 38mpg. Granted, he lives in a smaller city where traffic is more free-flowing, and he drives the manual. Still, I was anticipating-with conservative driving habits and a vehicle with much better advertised mileage-getting at least in the mid-30s.

Honestly I'm still flustered, compared to my previous vehicle. How can a vehicle with 2 fewer cylinders, 2 more gears, 400 less lbs, and a small host of other mileage-related improvements only get - with CONSERVATIVE driving - 6-8mpg more than my old car, which I drove with comparative reckless abandon?!? And let's not talk about technology and weight. As I said, my Jetta was 3-400 lbs heavier, and had more airbags than you could imagine.
I have yet to turn off Eco mode. I'm loathe to do so seeing as mileage was the determining factor for me buying the Accent vs the Fit. And I'm still bitter that I have zero fun driving this thing and get barely better mileage. Bah humbug.

davi4648 01-31-2012 06:56 PM

2012 milage

Don't worry your milage will improve if you use a few of the active eco features on the accent such as the active eco mode on the left side of your steering wheel and accelerating at a moderate rate of speed to allow maximum fuel economy.