Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Accent (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-accent-16/)
-   -   2012 Accent Fuel Economy (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-accent-16/2012-accent-fuel-economy-11533/)

SoCalSE-Driver 02-01-2012 01:00 AM

Marathon Blue SE: I feel your frustration! The continued mental anguish I just can't seem to shake is the STRETCH of Hyundai's advertising for this particular vehicle. No other vehicle in it's class is getting the same type of related postings on any of their respective sites. Honda, Mazda, Ford, Fiat, Toyota, Chevy, not a one. Know why? Because they didn't stretch the truth and dress it all up with an "ECO" button, or give you a sales pitch on "how you have to learn a new style of driving". Even though I like the little car, I should have test drove all the others before finally making the purchase. The 100,000 mile warranty is truly what put me over the top. Personally, if Hyundai would have straight out sold the car as a solid 30-38 mpg vehicle, I would have bought it without any post negative feelings due to expecting by "trust in the deal" better fuel economy. I think I can speak for a lot of us in here who feel the same way. Hyundai just pushed the limit on this one. Just enough to leave a bitter taste in the mouth. I'm sure Nova is going to chime in here with all of his magnificent vehicular and statistical wisdom. ;-)

@davi4648: I'm sure it will, but I do really hate being passed on the highway by every 18 year old girl in a VW bug or Mazda 3. 55-60mph on Southern California roads is flat out suicide. Not to mention the road rage that can be caused by impeding the traffic flow. I'm not a stranger to fire-fights, but I'm not really looking for that kind of hassle in a Hyundia SE. It's no up-armored rig if you know what I mean.......

NovaResource 02-01-2012 07:04 AM

Bottom line, people are getting upper 30's and even 40 MPG out of the new Accent.
2012_Hyundai_ Accent-w/auto trans (Hyundai Accent) | Fuelly

Just because you aren't doesn't mean the car isn't capable of achieving it. How it's driven makes all the difference.

tbb10785 02-01-2012 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by tbb10785 (Post 41371)
Here's a mid-winter update on my 2012 Accent (hatch w/auto), tracked miles over 19,000.
MPG from 7/25/11 - 12/7/11, 39.48MPG on 14,238 miles tracked.
MPG from 12/8/11 - 1/16/12 36.94MPG on 5,229 miles tracked with snow tires.

<snip>
I track my fuel-ups at 2012_Hyundai_ Accent-w/auto trans (Hyundai Accent) | Fuelly and there's another tread on the 2012 Accent and MPG at 2012 Hyundai Accent - Page 2 - CleanMPG Forums

MPG on snow tires update with additional 1,600 miles;

MPG from 12/8/11 - 2/1/12,
37.116MPG on 6,809 miles tracked with snow tires.

So, really no increase to note but it does look like my MPG on snow tires has leveled out to a 37 mpg average. I'm happy with my Accent!

tbb10785 02-01-2012 10:15 AM

SoCalSE-Driver & Marathon Blue SE,

I wonder if your lower MPG has anything to do with your Accents being tweaked for California emission standards? I'm making an assumption your Accent is different than the rest of the USA.

SoCalSE-Driver 02-02-2012 11:06 PM

tbb10785 Just added all my stats to the Fuelly web site! That site is really cool, thanks or posting it! As far as your guess if California has anything to do with the substandard MPG........you can bet on it.

SoCalSE-Driver 02-02-2012 11:12 PM

http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-us/108191.png

NovaResource 02-06-2012 09:01 AM

Here's an interesting report from Popular Mechanics. Granted this is for the Elantra but the complaint is the same as some of you have with the Accent: not acheiving the claimed fuel economy. Take a read:

Mileage Moment of Truth - We Put 40 Mpg Claims to the Test - Popular Mechanics

Mileage Moment of Truth: We Put 40 Mpg Claims to the Test
By Ben Wojdyla

The 2012 Hyundai Elantra and Ford Focus SFE are among 20-plus cars that now claim 40 mpg highway. But given the peculiar way in which the EPA calculates its fuel economy estimates, do those mileage numbers truly reflect real-world driving? We tested the Elantra and Focus on the streets and roads of Michigan to find out, with some surprising results.

Gas prices remain stubbornly high, and the economy is still lagging. Carmakers are responding to consumer demand for smaller, more efficient cars (and to stringent government fuel-economy standards) with a raft of vehicles claiming an astonishing 40-mpg highway rating. When a gallon of gas first topped $4 in 2008, only the Toyota Prius and the Honda Civic Hybrid got over 40 mpg on the highway; now there are more than 20 cars able to achieve that kind of mileage. Over the past 12 months we've tested a variety of 40-mpg cars and have regularly missed hitting the window-sticker figures. Others have cried foul as well. Last December, a nonprofit group called Consumer Watchdog sent a ­letter to the Environmental Protection Agency suggesting that the Hyundai Elantra's rated fuel economy (29 city and 40 highway) was erroneously high. Perhaps, we wondered, the auto­makers had found a way to game the EPA's test. Then again, we're also ­keenly aware that driving behavior has a pronounced effect on fuel economy. So which is it? Are the cars overstating their ­efficiency, or are aggressive drivers like us distorting the results with our lead feet? We obtained a 2012 Hyundai Elantra and another 40-mpg car, the Ford Focus SFE, and did our own fuel-economy test. The results proved surprising.

The Test

It's hard to replicate the real world in a lab. But since 1975, the EPA has published test procedures that carmakers follow to determine the city and highway fuel-economy figures found on new-car window stickers (see "Behind the EPA Numbers" below). Over the years, these tests—which are performed on dynamometers—and their corresponding calculations have been refined to better approximate real-world results. The latest update was in 2008, when the EPA included air-conditioning usage and its correction factors to bring down the window-sticker numbers.

For our testing, we specifically didn't want to replicate the way the EPA tests cars. This wasn't just for the sake of being contrarian, but because we wanted­ to test the cars the way any reader might be able to, which meant driving the cars on the road. We were mainly after the highway-fuel-economy figure, but we also did a city-driving loop. The highway route took a nice big lap around the city of Detroit, twice. It was a lot of seat time, but at about 133 miles, a good distance to get a real-world average. We ran the highway test at both 55 mph and 70 mph, and to avoid traffic variables, we drove in the middle of the day, when fewer cars were on the road. The city course was a meandering in-town 64.5-mile route up into the northern suburbs of Rochester Hills and back down along the riverfront, then up historic Woodward Avenue.

Accurately measuring the miles driven and the gallons consumed is tricky. In-car odometers often don't match brand to brand, so we relied on the $570 PerformanceBox from Racelogic and its more accurate GPS-based distance measurement (we also used this to average our speed). Tracking the gallons used is similarly prickly. The procedure most people use is to top off the fuel tank at every gas stop and ­simply record the miles. According to Hyundai, however, variations in ambient conditions can result in one fill-up being as much as a half-gallon less than the next at the same pump. So to find out exactly­ how much fuel was used, we weighed the cars precisely before and after driving. Each gallon of standard E10 gasoline weighed in at 6.4 pounds, so if we drove 80 miles on the highway and the cars achieved 40 mpg, then they should be 12.8 pounds lighter than at the start—a simple but effective method.

Results

Counter to our original hypothesis, both cars demonstrated significantly­ better fuel economy than advertised. Cruising along at 55 mph on the highway, our cars easily cleared 40 mpg and, astonishingly, approached 50. At higher speeds, with greater aerodynamic drag, the cars were still very efficient. They didn't quite get 40 mpg, but they were close. City results were equally­ impressive, with each into the mid-30s. Bear in mind that we made no effort to be overly frugal—no drafting, no excessive coasting—and we made a point to keep up with traffic. Sure, we were a little light with the pedal, but slowpokes we were not.

What, then, should we make of our own previous fuel-economy tests and the cries of Consumer Watchdog? To put it simply, your results will vary, and that is why the window-sticker figures are called estimates. For our test, we simply concentrated a little more on thrifty driving than usual, and it was 40 F outside, so we didn't use the air conditioning. There will never be a lab test that can cover all environmental variables or account for how differently we all drive. But these two cars demonstrate that with very little behavior modification, 40 mpg is quite a realistic figure. Not only is it easy to achieve, it's easy to surpass, even under less than ideal conditions. If you choose a car with a high-economy claim and drive within reason, you should be able to match those window-sticker figures. Considering that these cars are also decent performers on the road, the benefit of this high-efficiency engineering really goes to consumers, who are apparently getting more than they've bargained for.

The Fuel-Economy Equation

Many factors determine efficiency—not the least of which is how aggressive you are on the throttle. Still, things like vehicle size, weight, and shape; road friction; outside temperature; aerodynamic drag; and losses in the powertrain all play important roles. Collectively, these factors are known as a vehicle's road load. We've created a simplified version of the road-load equation. Notice how velocity is squared in the equation, meaning each additional mph has a greater impact on your mpg.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/p...05-0212-de.jpg

Behind the EPA Numbers

Getting the window-sticker fuel-economy estimates starts with a car strapped on a dynamometer, which positions the car's drivewheels on a giant computer-controlled rolling pin. A technician operates the car following prescribed acceleration and speed curves. There are five different test procedures: city cycle, highway cycle, air conditioning on, high-speed driving, and cold starting for carbon monoxide emissions. All currently use 100 percent gasoline, something consumers generally cannot buy because 10 percent ethanol mix is what most pumps dispense. Flow meters measure fuel consumed, and the exhaust gas is collected for emissions measurements.

The tests are surprisingly slow and short—the longest is 11 miles, and the highest average speed is 48 mph. In this scenario, cars get much higher fuel economy than what's advertised to consumers. To adjust that perfor­mance toward real-world figures, the EPA applies mathematical formulas to determine the final numbers on the window sticker. Further complicating matters is that for the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE), the government uses the uncorrected data. For the CAFE, our Elantra gets 56.5 mpg highway, but after correction the window sticker says 40 mpg. Complicated?

We think so, too.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/p...03-0212-de.jpg

PM Mileage Test at a Glance

We took two closely matched, high-mileage vehicles on multiple test loops to see if they could hit their EPA window-sticker numbers on real roads. We found that if you're willing to ease the pedal off the metal, these sippers outperform the ratings.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/p...04-0212-de.jpg
Bottom line: The Elantra got BETTER fuel economy than the EPA ratings. So if you aren't getting the EPA numbers with your Elantra or Accent, the problem is NOT the car. The problem is THE DRIVER and/or the enviroment you drive.

DAVIDG 02-06-2012 09:24 PM

There are 20 reports for 2012 Accents on the Fuelly site. The average mpg is 31.8. Are we all driving "wrong"?
If the advertised mpg can be achieved only under "test" conditions, then it's not real, and should have been advertised as such.

NovaResource 02-07-2012 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by DAVIDG (Post 41711)
If the advertised mpg can be achieved only under "test" conditions, then it's not real, and should have been advertised as such.

Read the story again. Under test conditions it got HIGHER THAN ADVERTISED. CAFE then brings that number down to meet real world conditions.

The tests are surprisingly slow and short—the longest is 11 miles, and the highest average speed is 48 mph. In this scenario, cars get much higher fuel economy than what's advertised to consumers. To adjust that perfor­mance toward real-world figures, the EPA applies mathematical formulas to determine the final numbers on the window sticker. Further complicating matters is that for the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE), the government uses the uncorrected data. For the CAFE, our Elantra gets 56.5 mpg highway, but after correction the window sticker says 40 mpg.
Also, Popular Mechanics went out and drove ON REAL STREETS IN THE REAL WORLD and got HIGHER THAN ADVERTISED fuel economy.

We took two closely matched, high-mileage vehicles on multiple test loops to see if they could hit their EPA window-sticker numbers on real roads. We found that if you're willing to ease the pedal off the metal, these sippers outperform the ratings.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/p...04-0212-de.jpg

Originally Posted by DAVIDG (Post 41711)
There are 20 reports for 2012 Accents on the Fuelly site. The average mpg is 31.8. Are we all driving "wrong"?

Basically, yes.

charlesH 02-08-2012 08:02 PM

My mpg experience

I can easily achieve 40-50+ mpg in highway/freeway driving (no AC).

For city driving I typically get 25mpg (no AC). However, my ave mph in this city driving is 14-17mph. Since the city EPA test ave mph is 21, I attribute my less than epa city mpg to my city driving conditions.

I have been driving recently with the ECO mode off. Thus far I am averaging higher mpg 26+ vs 25+ with ECO mode on. Interesting ........

Base on my experience there is nothing wrong with the car or the epa tests.

litesong 04-10-2012 11:35 AM

ECO-off-on

Originally Posted by charlesH (Post 41734)
I have been driving recently with the ECO mode off. Thus far I am averaging higher mpg 26+ vs 25+ with ECO mode on. Interesting ........

Quite a few people mention the seeming ineffectiveness of the ECO in the 'on' position in several Hyundai models.

I wonder how many people experiment with the 'ECO-on' setting, but drive like their usual selves. I would think people using the ECO setting should also feather foot the car for its maximum ability to squeeze gas drops.
However, I think all people should squeeze gas drops, even in the 'ECO-off' position.

Another item..... use 100% ethanol-free gasoline, if you have it available in your region or state. Go to pure-gas.org for accurate addresses & a great zoomable map showing nearly 5000 stations selling 100% pure gas. With careful records of 10% ethanol tanks AND 100% ethanol-free tanks, our 3 cars have increased mpg by 8%, 7-8%, & 6%. All 3 car engines also are smoother, quieter, & have a bit extra power.

Use 100% ethanol-free gasoline. Careful tho! You'll like it, won't go back to 10% ethanol blends & might even get political, to get your elected officials to get off the ethanol bandwagon.

DAVIDG 04-11-2012 07:52 AM

Thanks for the info on non-ethanol. I'm going to research it a bit and check it out.
I too have noticed no difference using the ECO. I'd like to know the story on that.
Overall my mileage is in the 33mpg range, though I expected higher.
A question for Accent owners:
Can the shifter be used as a standard? How to best use that?
Thanks all for your contributions.
Davidg

tbb10785 04-11-2012 08:08 AM

From my earlier post on page 3;
================================================== ======
MPG from 7/25/11 - 12/7/11, 39.48MPG on 14,238 miles tracked.
MPG from 12/8/11 - 1/16/12 36.94MPG on 5,229 miles tracked with snow tires.
<snip>
Oh, I'm trying a little experiment with the "ECO" feature. The first 19,000 tracked miles were with the "ECO" button on/engaged but I never liked how the car pulled away from a stop, jerky, kind of like someone who didn't know how to drive a manual shift. I plan to drive without "ECO" until at least mid-summer and compare to my previous MPG's. The car does "feel" much better at low speeds with the ECO off. I think I can use my brain and light foot to obtain the same MPG but time will tell.
================================================== ======

4/11/12
The ECO has been off since 12/9/11 but I don't have a previous winter for comparison of MPG. However, since I removed the snow tires at the end of March I can compare that to my average of 39.48 mpg from July-Dec 2011 (see above) with the OEM tires. I've driven 2,278 miles (end of March to today) with the OEM tires and averaged 39.69 mpg WITHOUT using the ECO mode. I'll have a much better comparison as I get close to a years ownership but it looks like the ECO mode doesn't help or hurt my gas mileage.

litesong 04-12-2012 07:16 PM

ECO button, 100% pure gasoline

Oh, I'm trying a little experiment with the "ECO" feature. The first 19,000 tracked miles were with the "ECO" button on/engaged but I never liked how the car pulled away from a stop, jerky, kind of like someone who didn't know how to drive a manual shift.

4/11/12
The ECO has been off since 12/9/11......
////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Get some 100% ethanol free gasoline. I suspect the ECO button was made to be used in conjunction with 100% ethanol free gasoline(as was the engine itself) & isn't functioning quite right. In my switch from 10% ethanol to 100% pure gas, I've noted our 3 cars, not only get better mpg, but also became smoother, quieter & do NOT need as much downshifting to go up hills.

Yeah, somehow that ECO button must be affected by the 10% ethanol that is so prevalent, making 100% pure gasoline unavailable to scores of millions of people.

tbb10785 04-13-2012 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by DAVIDG (Post 42696)
<snip>
Can the shifter be used as a standard? How to best use that?
Thanks all for your contributions.
Davidg

David,

Sorry I don't always read everything (or listen very well according to my wife, lol) and missed your question about the auto trans in manual mode.

Here's how I use the manual mode, for better or worse. I use it mainly on long hills/mountain grades. Going up to hold the transmission in one gear so it's not shifting between 5th and 6th gear as an example. Going down hill I will shift to 5th to help hold my speed so I'm not coasting over the speed limit. The above is done with the cruise control ON. Yep, using manual mode doesn't break the set point on the cruise. I drive about 90% of the time with the cruise ON because my ankle bothers me using the gas pedal for long periods. Also, the transmission will override your manual shift points if you try to do something that would damage the tranny. Example, like trying to downshift from 6th gear to 1st while driving 60 MPH.

BTW, my earlier comment (months ago) about shifting into neutral to coast to a stop is something I NO longer do because it doesn't help my MPG.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

DAVIDG 04-14-2012 12:14 PM

Thanks much for the shifter and how you've used it. I'll try to do the same.

I too am dissappointed with the Accents mpg. With it advertised at 30/40 I expected closer to 40 as I live in a rural area.
The car I just got rid of was a 1994 Geo Prism (197,000m), which averaged about 28+ driving as I pleased. My Accent's in the 33 mpg range (BTW check out "Fuelly" as a site that compares thousands of cars mpg's.) Very informative.
The Accent drives well otherwise, but if you have to drive "perfectly, under perfect conditions, then there's something dishonest about the suggested mpg.
I wonder do other makes and models have the same discrepancies?
Thanks for the help and communications. David

ritchep 04-25-2012 06:54 AM

David,

Enjoy your ride. I have an '02 Accent with 188,000 miles on it. Keep up with recommended maintenance and you won't have an issue with your car ... Hyundai builds a quality product. My mileage? I drive my car 900 miles a week, and consistently get 38 mpg on the highway. I recommend a K&N air filter. They're expensive but will yield an immediate 3 mpg improvement. I also prefer ethanol-free gasoline. It's tough to find, but worth it.

tbb10785 04-26-2012 05:59 AM

I'm enjoying the warmer weather and so is my Accent. Since April 16th I've driven over 2,000 miles and averaged 42.5 MPG. I noticed on Monday the 23rd were I usually average over 45 MPG, my MPG dropped to 41 which was due to the lower temps (in the 30's) and snow. Everything else was the same on Monday, driving speed and even filled up at the same gas station. My Accent is hugely effected by the outside temperature.

mpg miles gallons fuelup_date
42.46 376.2 8.860 4/16/12
39.872 385 9.656 04/17/12
48.373 193.2 3.994 04/17/12
46.321 215.9 4.661 04/20/12
44.186 207.1 4.687 04/21/12
36.693 273.4 7.451 04/23/12
41.169 197.2 4.790 04/23/12
48.669 201.1 4.132 04/25/12
42.485 2049.1 48.231 Totals/Average

All notes are in my fuelly account below.

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/tbb107...ent?fu=2531800

NovaResource 04-26-2012 06:56 AM

Your comment on warm air vs cool are is correct. Many people have found (not just with the Accent but many different cars) that the warmer the intake air, the better the mileage. Power drops slightly but mileage goes up. Some people have gone so far as to add "warm air intakes" to their cars.

Similar to a CAI (Cold Air Intake) that places a cone filter outside the engine compartment to get cooler air into the engine to make power, a WAI (Warm Air Intake) is when people move the air intake into the engine compartment to get warmer air off the hot engine to raise fuel economy. I've seen people disconnect the air inlet and place it above the exhaust manifold to get the warmest air possible. However, you have to monitor the AIT (Air Inlet Temperture sensor) to make sure you don't allow the air to get too hot which will cause detonation.

tbb10785 04-27-2012 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by NovaResource (Post 42930)
Your comment on warm air vs cool are is correct. Many people have found (not just with the Accent but many different cars) that the warmer the intake air, the better the mileage. Power drops slightly but mileage goes up. Some people have gone so far as to add "warm air intakes" to their cars.

<snip>

NovaResource,

Thank you for the information and explanation. Funny, when I was roadracing motorcycles horsepower was "holy grail" so many were fitting cold air intakes on their bikes. Of course we didn't race in conditions much below 45 degrees with most of the racing taking place from late March through October.

It is interesting to think about MPG and horsepower differing on wanting hot versus cold air, but like you mentioned up to a point. The point being you don't won't spark knock (detonation).

gregl50 05-31-2012 09:25 PM

2012 4dr 6sp manual tran owner with 10000 miles.

Currently getting 37.5mpg.

Have gotten anywhere from 34 mpg to 42 mpg.

the 34 was with the worst brand of gas in the area, also this was during the winter. with snow tires.

The 42 was with summer gas and stoplight free 17 mile long trips back and forth to work while driving with a feather foot.

The 37.5 I'm getting currently is 30% city 70% highway. Lead foot type driving. Different brand of gas.

Have 1 more brand of gas I want to try. but am very happy with the 37.5 I'm getting with my driving style.

I using my calculated millage as the Gage in the car is a average of 2 mpg off.

Besides different gases for different areas and summer and winter blends,

try different brands of gas. It might be worth the 2 or 3 cents more per gallon.

ritchep 06-01-2012 06:56 AM

Greg, that's great stuff. I have an '02 Accent with 193,000 miles on it. My driving style/mix and mileage are simliar to yours, and I average 38 mpg, all gauge-calculated. I run a K&N air filter, which took me from 35 mpg to 38 mpg. You're on the right track with gasoline brands. If you can find some ethanol-free gas, try that. I have a local station that sells it, and I see a 2-3 mpg improvement. Good luck.

gregl50 07-11-2012 05:52 PM

A update on my MPG,

2012 4dr 6sp manual tran No AC.

With a change in brands of gas I am up to 38.5 MPG, for 30% city 70% highway. Lead foot type driving.

But I also just took a 1200 mile trip last week, that I got a 41.4 avg MPG for the three tanks of gas that I bought. I must have averaged about 75mph on the trip. Windows wide open.

This $13,000 car can't be beat in the MPG dept. I see they want another 1500 for the cheapest 2013 model. This is the first brand new car I bought that I feel that I took the dealer for a change.

calculated millage

tbb10785 07-12-2012 05:48 AM

Thanks for the update gregl50. Like you I think the Accent is a great car and gets it's stated MPG numbers under normal driving conditions.

I'm waiting until the end of the month to post my one year MPG numbers. I've rolled up over 40,000 so far so I have a good base of data for my mpg averages.

Bruce

tbb10785 07-26-2012 06:51 AM

One Year Ownership - UPDATE & STATS

Below are my one year of ownership stats. We only missed data on 3 or 4 fillups which is about 1,000 miles. Data can be found at 2012_Hyundai_ Accent-w/auto trans (Hyundai Accent) | Fuelly

Total mileage 41,573.2
Total Gallons purchased 1,058.9
Average MPG 39.26

Average MPG per month
Aug-40.27
Sep-40.54
Oct-38.83
Nov-38.29
Dec-37.58
Jan-36.94
Feb-38.02
Mar-38.32
Apr-41.37
May-41.22
Jun-40.78
Jul-39.14

Average with Winter/snow tires-37.55
Average with summer tires-40.09

Our Accent has been great so far with no trips back to the dealership. Only 5,000 mile oil changes and one air filter to date.

I did a what if, assuming for the last year I drove our old 95 Impreza that had an average MPG of about 28.5 and average cost per gallon of $3.50. We saved about $115 per month in gasoline costs each month driving the 2012 Accent.

NovaResource 07-26-2012 07:24 AM

Excellent numbers. And I also use Fuelly.com Great website.

gregl50 07-26-2012 07:10 PM

Thats great Bruce,

Mine has 13,000 miles on it and it will be a year next month. The brand I'm using now(think NASCAR) is giving me a 39.7 Avg for the last seven tanks. My savings per mile is even better than yours as my 98 Ford Ranger is lucky to hit 18mpg on a good day(I only use it for the dump now).

I figure the car will have been free :) after around 125000 miles of driving at todays gas prices.

tbb10785 07-27-2012 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by NovaResource (Post 43714)
Excellent numbers. And I also use Fuelly.com Great website.

Thanks Nova and for the driving tips earlier in this thread. I'm driving the Accent fairly "normal" just paying attention to coasting to a stop as much as traffic will allow. Plus, trying hard to time traffic lights and not stop at all. I watch my speed on the interstate and drive the posted speed limit or a tad lower.

tbb10785 07-27-2012 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by gregl50 (Post 43726)
Thats great Bruce,

Mine has 13,000 miles on it and it will be a year next month. The brand I'm using now(think NASCAR) is giving me a 39.7 Avg for the last seven tanks. My savings per mile is even better than yours as my 98 Ford Ranger is lucky to hit 18mpg on a good day(I only use it for the dump now).

I figure the car will have been free :) after around 125000 miles of driving at todays gas prices.

Hey Greg,

That's great to read your getting the same or bit better MPG with your Accent. I don't find it difficult to get this type of fuel mileage but I do have to pay attention.

A free car, yep the math is sound :-) I'm resisting the urge to have a pickup for weekend hauling and really need to purchase a small utility trailer and tow it with the Rogue instead. Why do pickups, full-size or compact, always getting around the 18-20 mpg mark? I like a pickup but can't justify the poor MPG at current gas prices.

HammerZ71 08-06-2012 09:44 PM

Just bought a new 2013 Saturday, took it on a "tour" Sunday and put about 120 miles on the odometer. Mostly 55 mph limit county roads with a couple 35 mph jaunts through towns with a few stop signs and traffic lights. According to the trip computer I'm averaging 43.4 mpg.

HUGE difference for me. The '02 Grand Cherokee 4x4 I sold to buy this got about 16 mpg in mixed driving and my lifted 4x4 truck gets about 13 mpg, LOL...

tbb10785 08-07-2012 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by HammerZ71 (Post 43848)
Just bought a new 2013 Saturday, took it on a "tour" Sunday and put about 120 miles on the odometer. Mostly 55 mph limit county roads with a couple 35 mph jaunts through towns with a few stop signs and traffic lights. According to the trip computer I'm averaging 43.4 mpg.

HUGE difference for me. The '02 Grand Cherokee 4x4 I sold to buy this got about 16 mpg in mixed driving and my lifted 4x4 truck gets about 13 mpg, LOL...

Welcome HammerZ71! Congrats on the new Accent.

Sounds like you'll be making money at the pumping compared to your Jeep & truck :D. FYI, my actual MPG is usually 3-4 mpg less than the on-board computer. Interested to see if this is a little closer in the 2013 model.

HammerZ71 08-07-2012 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by tbb10785 (Post 43861)
Welcome HammerZ71! Congrats on the new Accent.

Sounds like you'll be making money at the pumping compared to your Jeep & truck :D. FYI, my actual MPG is usually 3-4 mpg less than the on-board computer. Interested to see if this is a little closer in the 2013 model.

Thank you.

Yeah, with this economy I find myself working a different job making about 40% of what I was making about four years ago. Couldn't justify two lifted, V8, 4x4s of which one was my daily driver. Got out of the Jeep while it still had enough value to give me a good size down payment on the new Accent.

I'll have real, hand calculated MPG numbers to compare when I do my first fill-up so we'll know where it's actually at. Prolly be this weekend as I've put about 185 miles on it so far and still have a hair over half a tank of gas left. Had to run a bunch of errands today, lots of "in-town" driving. Trip computer is down to 37.7 :( LOL...

ritchep 08-08-2012 07:47 AM

Marathon, I have to respectfully disagree. I drive 900 highway miles every week, most of them at 70 mph (just to keep from getting run over!) I consistently average 37-38 mpg. I am running a K&N air filter. Perhaps it's because my engine has so many miles on it (199,600 mi?)

Marathon Blue SE 08-09-2012 02:54 AM

I'm not quite sure what you're disagreeing with... I drive 95% *city* miles, and that's Los Angeles city driving. When I do get on the freeway, 3/4 of the time I'm using freeways at a grade. And here in LA people drive hills awfully dumb: Race all the way up, ride the brakes all the way down.

Anyway, somehow I'm managing to average 30mpg even in these conditions, although I have no fun when I'm driving, it's all moderate acceleration, more-than-average coasting, and sticking pretty much right on the speed limit at all times.

In other news, my "leather"-wrapped steering wheel is peeling off. Taking it in for the 7500 mile service tomorrow, I'm assuming this will be covered in the warranty.