Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Aftermarket alternator

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Default Aftermarket alternator

I have an 02 accent. I'm going to replace my alternator. An aftermarket alterntor is half the price of the deal part. Has anyone ever installed an aftermarket alternator in their accent? I want to make sure it will fit before purchasing it. Recently I bout an after market w/p and it didn't fit. So i want to make sure. THanks ahead of time.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Default RE: Aftermarket alternator

bassically get a garentee on the part before purchasing it, normally the alternators are odd shapes and dont fit into the same holes. so if they are willing to have it back if it doesnt fit go for it otherwise go with a genuine part.

however alternators are tempremental beasts, i reccomend going to a wreckers to find a second hand one for a car that age they should still be good unless you did something like run the car and short the battery. this would cost you arount $130 instead of a new one at $445. sorry they are australian prices i dont know where you are. also its not normal for an alternator to go in that age car so id say putting another battery in it to test if its actually the alternator or a collapsed battery. unless you are getting the battery symbol on the dash. anyway thats my 2c good luck

Old 02-08-2008, 06:48 AM

You want it to fit right the first time? Do be so cheap and go OEM. I dont use aftermarket on my own cars,,,, aftermarket = junk for a low price.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:51 PM

Buying an OEM altenator from the dealer is the sure bet, but as you know, the most expensive option. I agree with the other forum member's advice, don't buy a generic alternator that may/may not fit and may/may not work in the car. A used one from a junk yard will fit, but you don't know it's history and it may not be any better than the one you are replacing.

If you are trying to save some bucks, you have two choices. 1) Most reputable auto parts stores (e.g. NAPA, Carquest, Autozone) offer lines of remanufactured altenators. The casting or body will be an exact match to your old alternator, but the windings, diodes, bearings, etc, have all been replaced with new parts, inspected and tested. The stores usually carry 3 lines, a "good", "better" and "best" grade. If you are going to keep the car for a while, stick to the "best". They will cost a little more, but are more rigorously tested before shipping. "Best" grades usually come with a longer warrenty. Take your old alternator in with you so you can confirm the fit. You can then swap it out, so there will be no core charge. Also, some stores will swap the pulley for you as well. 2) Ask around if there is a reputable generator/alternator shop in your area. These are specialty shops that can rebuild your alternator with new guts, or sometimes they carry rebuilt and new replacements. They too will swap the pulley and may offer an installation service. I prefer this approach because if something goes wrong during the warrenty period, you have a local person to deal with.

I've replaced several alternators from both sources and I've had only one that didn't outlast the original alternator or the car for that matter.