Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Am I being taken for a ride?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Default Am I being taken for a ride?

My 2005 Accent with 34k miles was getting a "bump stop" and shifting poorly when downshifting overall. This thunk also happens at speed and can get violent when accelerating uphill where it first releases, revs really high, and slams into gear. This doesn't happen all the time but the Hyundai dealer was able to reproduce the problem. Yes this is an automatic transmission.

I took it Darlings Hyundai is Augusta since it is still under warranty and they just called me up saying I need to have the transmission fluid changed for $75. Then a little later they called again and said it involved a filter and was more involved. They say it is general maintenance under the extreme weather service schedule which says every 30k (not the regular schedule which is must less frequent). They said no state in the US qualifies for the regular schedule . . . . I know the winters in Maine are tough but am I being taken for a ride here with this $200 maintenance hit that might or might not fix the issue?

Old 10-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Am I being taken for a ride?

Yep, the automatic trans fluid needs replacement every 30K miles to keep the warranty. I've done it on all my Hyundais.

I'd have the service done and hope it solves your problem because if the trans is bad and they find it's because the fluid wasn't changed at 30K, they might void the warranty on the trans. Good Luck.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Default RE: Am I being taken for a ride?

I know the winters in Maine are tough but am I being taken for a ride here with this $200 maintenance hit that might or might not fix the issue?
Yes and no. Service intervals on trannies designed for conventional dexron and mercon fluids have been 25K to 35K for years. One would think a Hyundai transmission using a synthetic blend fluid like SP-III could handle a longer service interval. Should it go 105K under "normal" operating conditions. I have my doubts about that, but Hyundai does not define what "normal" and "extreme" conditions are which means you at the mercy of the dealership. Regardless, Novaresource is right in that if you want your warrenties to remain valid, you are stuck with the dealers interpretation of the situation. I also think $200 is high for that service given that the car was already in the shop, the flush is plenty much an automated process that only takes a few minutes and the filter is a spin-on type.