Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Arrgh my timing belt just snapped!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 05:02 AM
Default Arrgh my timing belt just snapped!

My timing belt snapped this morning in rushour traffic. Luckily, I was stationary when this happened & didn't hear any 'breaking' noises.

I'm therefore hoping I might get away with just a timing belt replacement & no valve or piston damage! But that's a big maybe.

What is really annoying is the fact I was going to change it within the next few weeks anyway as it's always better to change them more frequently than recommended....ah typical eh?

Anyone else had a timing belt break on a 2000 1.3i, when stationary with no other damage? I'm still hoping....fingers crossed.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:58 AM
Default RE: Arrgh my timing belt just snapped!

Oh, I do know it's an interference engine by the way. I just wondered if there is a possibility of no valve damage as it literally went while the engine was ticking over. I just let the clutch out & ....dead.

I intitially presumed I had stalled! So I tried to start it a few times. Would this have caused any damage too?

Next thought was it could be an electrical fault & hence not sparking as it had been very wet.

However, it dawned on me that it was the timing belt and a look confirmed this!!!

Car now at garage where they're of the opinion that as it went whilst stationary I might of got away with little or no valve or piston damage.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

I hope you don't have damage but I highly doubt it. Sorry.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:41 AM

Yeah, I think I'm just deluding myself

Old 11-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Think about it... at idle your engine is rotating at 700 rpm or so; it can't stop in less than one rev. Sorry... and good luck. Maybe you can pickup a head at a salvage yard?

How many miles on the car?

Old 11-21-2007, 11:06 AM

Yeah, I know, it's a very small chance but not unknown. Still awaiting the outcome. I did actually have the same thing happen with another car years ago. Timing belt snapped at traffic lights while ticking over & almost a miracleas no damage. Few pounds for a belt and an hour or so work.So I live in hope!

85k on the clock now. Last timing belt changed at 40k. Was going to change it this month....just my luck.

S'pose the next best hope is a head (from salvage yard), head gasket & belt kit.

Oh well[X(]

Old 11-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Wow! I thought belts were supposed to last 60k! I guess they say 60k or 4 years, whichever comes first...

Old 11-21-2007, 04:16 PM

Yeah, I can't believe it snapped. Was definitely 3 years ago at 40000miles!

So let this be a warning. A timing belt can snap after only 45k miles. Still seems a bit dodgy to me. Pehaps the guys at the 40k service didn't change the belt after all? Who knows, they certainly charged for it in the service history.

Fingers crossed, it's just a few bent valves at the most! But hey, wont know until the guys at the garage take the head off.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:26 PM

Oh my goodness! You're making me scared! I've got almost 71,000 miles and haven't replaced my timing belt yet. I checked the Service Manual and it recommends a check for the timing belt at 60k (which I kinda skipped) and mandatory at 90k. Hopefully I can make it until the tax refund in March, because I don't have funds for it right now.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:02 AM

Well, the kits in the UK are around £20-30 and it's not a big job- an hour and a half at most for any competant mechanic.

So, might be better spending a little now than a lot later. Basically if your timing belt snaps at any speed you can pretty much say goodbye to you engine.

Quick Reply: Arrgh my timing belt just snapped!