Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Brand New 2011 Accent. I have a question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:18 PM

Utah is at 8000 feet roughly. So i will use the 85 i guess

Old 02-02-2011, 07:31 PM

When I lived outside Butte, Mt, I tried the reg 85 octane gas, and my old car ran like crap. I always used 88 octane in high altitudes, and the car ran better. I suggest using the midgrade, or you could have issues with ping, esp if you drive into a lower altitude valley or something. Gas milage will increase after the first tank or two, as the engine is still breaking in, so it's normal to consume more fuel for now. My first tank got 27mpgs, the second tank got 31mpgs, all city driving with modest acceleration, same rts and traffic pattern. The gas tanks on these cars are very small, so don't expect 350+ mile cruising range on this car.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by cvargo
Another quick question on the 2011 accents. Is there a break-in period for MPG? Also what grade of gas should i be running in the car. In Utah they have 85, 88, 91. I have noticed that my MPG is lower than what i was expecting. I am hoping that is just due to it only having 200 miles on it so far.
Manual states to keep engine between 2k and 4k RPM for first 1200 miles. They recommend varying speed, so no long drives on highway at same speed. They also say don't exceed 55mph. Ahhh, I skipped that one I don't want to get killed going that slow on the highway around San Francisco. I kept it to 65 though, just to be nice to my new engine

As far as MPG, i'm in the same boat. I'm at over 2k miles so far and MPG is identical. I average about 27.5MPG in mixed city/highway with a 5spd manual trans. Still 3mpg better than my 99 civic automatic, but not what i expected. I was hoping to average 30-33 in my type of driving. Oh well... still a pretty neat little car.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:45 PM

My first couple of tanks returned about 27mpg city, after that, 31mpg city, but my driving habbits include coasting to stops (I have the 5sp), with modest acceleration, and I refuse to drive during rush hour. Once gas goes over $4 a gal, I will use more hypermiling techniques to further excede the mpg rating, it can be done in any car, just requires patience and spending more time in the right lane. I found I get there nearly as fast as those with a lead foot. I got 37mpg on a long hwy trip.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:00 AM

i bought one new one but haven't had any kind of smell.
maybe i was having cold or blocked nose. LOL

Old 02-04-2011, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by aaronalistair
i bought one new one but haven't had any kind of smell.
maybe i was having cold or blocked nose. LOL
Really? You just bought a new Accent? Then why did you post here that you just bought a new i20?
https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/s...5221#post35221
Originally Posted by aaronalistair
i bought a new Hyundai i20 and is facing a problem that its automatically shifting towards left while driving. I took it to the dealer and they tied to mend it but with no success returned my car saying that alignment is right but its a flaw in design The company is also not helping or giving any suggestions. What should i do ? i m going to file a case against the Hyundai company for not helping me out on my brand new buy.
And how did you buy a Hyundai i20 in New York (where you claim to be from in your profile)? The i20 isn't sold in the United States.

Last edited by NovaResource; 02-08-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by austex04
My first couple of tanks returned about 27mpg city, after that, 31mpg city, but my driving habbits include coasting to stops (I have the 5sp), with modest acceleration, and I refuse to drive during rush hour. Once gas goes over $4 a gal, I will use more hypermiling techniques to further excede the mpg rating, it can be done in any car, just requires patience and spending more time in the right lane. I found I get there nearly as fast as those with a lead foot. I got 37mpg on a long hwy trip.
I know that these vehicles are very capable of getting amazing gas mileage. Like i said my wife and i also own a 2008 Elantra. And this last summer took it on a trip and through Parley's Canyon (In Utah if you are familiar) all the way to evanston (Wyoming) before we filled up and we got 48 MPG!!! Of course all the conditions were perfect for this no wind hardly any traffic and a consistent speed around 65-70.

I do understand that i won't get that consistently but i am hoping for 30+ on a consistent basis in my new accent.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:56 PM

I just got a new '11 accent hatchback too! I love it. I did notice what I'd call a 'burning' smell coming from my engine, still do I guess its just that break-in period for new cars. Its been since 1997 that I've had a new car.