Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Check Engine Light & O2 Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Banned
Default Check Engine Light & O2 Sensor

Hey...

I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I recently purchased a 1999 Accent. When I first purchased the vehicle the Check Engine Light was illuminated. I was told that the light would turn on and off due to a fault O2 sensor. I was also told that this started after some exhaust work was done and that the previous owner just didn't get around to replacing the O2 sensor.

Before purchasing it I wanted to make sure that the problem really was just an O2 sensor, so I had a mechanic read the code and confirm that it was the O2 sensor.

Since then I have replaced the same O2 sensor twice [thinking that my original replacement was faulty] only to see the Check Engine Light come on after a few KM of driving.

Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks!

Old 11-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Default RE: Check Engine Light & O2 Sensor

First off, did you replace it yourself? If you did, did you remember to disconnect the battery so that the compter can reset and remove the error code. Secondly, if you have any after market exhaust system on there or a high flowing cat, test pipe, ect. Anything that will make the cars exhaust flow higher will effect the o2 sensor. If that is the case, they sell spacer adaptors that spaces out the sensor from the exhaust so it reads lower exhaust flow and lower tempature. let me know a little more about the exhaust.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Banned
Default RE: Check Engine Light & O2 Sensor

Hey Rdturbulence...

Thanks for the reply.

I did not replace it myself, and the code was cleared when I initially picked up my vehical from my mechanic. The light only came on after a little bit of driving.

The codes I received on my initial replacement were the following.

# P0132 02 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank I Sensor 1)
# P0135 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

I wouldn't expect the exhaust is any high performance exhaust... plus this is the pre cat O2 sensor.

Assuming my 2nd replacement is throwing the same codes do you think it could be a wiring problem??
[code P0135 makes me think this]

Thanks again!