Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Do Accents really get 37mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Default Do Accents really get 37mpg?

I just purchased a stock 2002 Accent L (no options whatsoever) 1.5L 12V 5-spd hatchback for my girlfriend to drive to and from work. It has 51,xxx miles on it and a large folder with meticulous maintenance records. Overall, aside from a door ding, it looks literally brand new. We drove 250 miles each way to get it, and on the way home (all freeway) it got 25mpg @ 65-70mph. I have to say, I was a little disappointed.

I know winter gas has an effect on mpg, but what else could be causing this? I just ordered an air filter, fuel filter, plugs, and wires. If those don't help, I'll test the O2 sensors and make sure they're functioning properly. Just curious if you guys have any other recommendations for getting the best mileage out of this little car. We sold our Subaru which got around 25mpg hoping for at least a +10mpg improvement.

Thanks!

Old 03-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Do Accents really get 37mpg?

I think 37-mpg is a little optimistic. However, 25-mpg seems low to me. I know you were doing highway driving but was it hilly, was there traffic, are the tires properly inflated, how much weight was in the car, was there a head wind. A lot could cause lower MPG.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:20 PM

I have a 2001 Accent GLS1.6 automatic and the guy I got the car from said he never got anythng better that 25 to 28 MPG.

I put a new air filter, plugs, wires, fuel injector cleaner and replaced the alternater that was weathered and the bearings were real bad it actually froze up at one point. (SMOKED UP THE GARAGE REAL BAD FROM THE BURNING BELT) and made one heck of a mess with burnt rubbe stuck in the pulley groves!!!!!!

After that I did a few MPG runs with A/C OFF

I drive pretty much on flat terain 18 miles to work each way 3/4 highway and 1/4 stop and go.

I found that if I droveaggressively with fast starts cruizing 70 to 80 mph I got 30.5MPGaverage.

If I drove like a little old lady with nice slow acceleration and 60 to 65 on the highway I got 36 MPG

I had to really work to restain my driving habbits to get the 36 Mpg and it was not fun.

Tune her up and see what happens.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:54 PM

You could probably see 37 MPG in a manual car.

I drive very conservatively, and on a recent highway trip, using AC and cruising at 68-70 MPH, I got an average of 36MPG. I never get less than 30MPG in combined city and highway travelling. I'm pleased with that mileage. Something is wrong with the 25MPG.

I have replaced my stock air filter with a K&N Air Filter, replaced the plugs, wires, and the crankshaft sensor.

Runs great!

I have the DOHC 1.6L, you have the SOHC 1.5L

I would think the 1.5L would do better on the mileage, since the DOHC loves to rev and I have to keep my foot out of it. Something's not right if you're only getting 25MPG.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:33 PM

I ordered plugs, wires, air filter, and afuel filter a week ago and changed all of them a few days ago. We filled the tank, and I'm happy to report that my girlfriend has driven 205 miles and the gauge is at the halfway mark

Old 04-18-2008, 09:16 AM

I have a 2002 Accent 1.5 Manual and will get anywhere from 33 - 38 MPG highway... Long trips, 5th gear gets consistent mileage... Just wish I could fix the starting and stalling problem...

Old 04-22-2008, 04:43 PM

I have a ’02 1.6 and I get anywhere from 30 (fast 80+ or hard acceleration and downshifting stop and go) to 38. I have recorded 40mpg consistently on the way to and from NY and FL (no hills or traffic)! Remember tire pressure (a few extra pounds helps) air filter, regular oil changes (I use synthetic) and even acceleration and deceleration. I think your gas mileage issue has a lot to do with the “winter gas” (not just winter any more). I have recorded that ethanol killed 3 to 5 mpg off my mpg.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:23 PM

Would a after market air filter like a stock K&N or one of those chrome jobs with the mesh filters increase milage?

Old 04-25-2008, 05:02 PM

I found that the K&N helped my mileage only slightly. I'm guessing 2-3 mpg more on the highway trips? No increase in power department, so don't buy it expecting a power increase.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:44 AM

I have the four door "GL" with a 1.6DOHC and get 41mpg on the highway consistantly. Mixed driving gives me about 34mpg. I'm not a gas mileage fanatic, I just let the car take it's time getting going. It doesn't have much power anyway so I don't force it.

Incidentally, that's exactly the mileage I got from the first Accent I drove. It was a rental car from Budget. That was with the windows open, 65-70mph on the highway, on a 4 hour trip. I needed a cheap economy car around the same time I got this rental. I liked the driver seatingof this one so much that it was the perfect fit. Once I realized how well it buzzed down the highway, I really began to like it. The gas mileage was just an added bonus. I'm just glad I didn't have to climb any hills.

Quick Reply: Do Accents really get 37mpg?