Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Electric Supercharger do or dont?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Default Electric Supercharger do or dont?

Hey guys,

I have a question for everyone. I have a 2001 Accent GL and I am looking into upping the horses, but I dont have the massive amount of money to modify my engine enough to handle a turbo. I saw an Electric supercharger on Ebay for $100. I am not too familiar with these, and dont expect a great gain of horsepower from it, but at least a few...maybe even 10-20? Will it hurt my stock engine at all? Does anyone know or have any pointers about using one of these things? I am also putting in an intercooler and extending my short-ram intake into a full cold air intake.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Electric Supercharger do or dont?

My advise, don't. Think about it, if it actually worked, why would it cost $100 when a real supercharger costs thousands. It will create a restriction in your intake and actually lower HP.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:23 PM

Stay away from them. Super chargers increase the boost in relation to RPM. They are also tuned to the power band. These Ebay super chargers cannont provide enough pressure to do any good. If you want the boost. Go with a 25 or 50 shot of Nitrous.
Of course, your stock engine will melt down after a few bottles.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:13 AM

dude you would most likely see better gains with a CAI and it would cost way less

Old 09-13-2007, 10:56 AM

ORIGINAL: orion30
Go with a 25 or 50 shot of Nitrous.
Of course, your stock engine will melt down after a few bottles.
Well you dont know Hyundais.

Hey ArtZPACarGal711, if you choose to go the nitrus route dont worry just dont go above a 75 shot and you should be ok...its not an exact what will happen but your engine IS NOT going to melt.

Also your engine is strong enough to handle a turbo just fine with out HUGE mods. I currently running a 14b Mitsubishi turbo at 6 psi and getting good numbers...im not runnign as wel as I should but everything on my car is stock except the turbo and exhaust. Change your injectors to add more fuel, get a good stand alone tunner and you can easily get 172 to the wheels running less than 10 psi on a stock 1.6l Alpha engine.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:43 PM

Enjoy the car for what it was built for...economy and reliabilty. Want more power...go to a V8 in another vehicle.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:28 PM

ORIGINAL: outandabout

Enjoy the car for what it was built for...economy and reliabilty. Want more power...go to a V8 in another vehicle.
I wish it were true..but do you have any idea what it costs to get a decent SPORTS car now days? Yeah to some 20k+ isnt that much but not everyone can get a V* or decent V6... I say work with what you got and if your not happy with well get rid of it.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:12 PM

I bought the e-supercharger and installed in through an intercooler...and I have seen a performance improvement, although it is very small. pretty much it is easier to accelerate and to maintain higher speeds with lower rpms. I am currently saving up for a T3/T4 turbo and plan to run 5-6lbs boost. My advice to anyone who wants a small gain and a cool-looking gadget is to try one of these. You get what you pay for, but they are kinda nice.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:16 PM

It's a bilge blower for a boat.....you can buy for $35 at a boat supply store....but why do it? Just keep the car tuned-up and have fresh fluids. That's the best way to keep it running strong.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:54 PM

Well i don't really think you should get a Supercharger, because i don't think the accent can really handle it, but another option is getting air intakes and stuff that can increase hp and gas mileage. But if you want, you should get a turbo, but not too strong, but enough to increase a good amount of horsepower.