Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Headlights / Heater Fan

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Default Headlights / Heater Fan

I have a 1998 Accent 4 door Automatic that I just turned over 100,000 miles. Now to begin with its Iowa here and right now a bit on the cold side!!!
#1. About a month ago I was driving with heater on full when the headlights AND the fan cut out. I parked and looked around the fuses, links, and what wires I could see and found nothing wrong. After a few minutes of inactivity I again turned on the headlights and they worked, so did the fan. 4 blocks down the road they cut out again.
I finally let the system cool down (I didn't shut the car off just left the fan and lights off for 5 min or so) and was able to drive the 20 miles home without any more problems. Hyundai dealer examined and found the fan squirrel cage had some leaves in it and thought a mouse might be the problem...cleaned out the fan and found a ground bad on the headlights. Dealer could not replicate the problem I had and told me that it couldn't be related because lights and fan are on different circuits (like I didn't already know that)

# 2.Car worked ok for a month until I found myself in a ditch and snowbank last week. Just as the tow truck got there, after close to an hour of idleing with lights and fan on .....the $#%^ cut out again. Shut things off and by the time I was out of the snowbank...I had lights and fan. 2 miles down the road they cut out but restarted after just 1 minute of cooldown.

#3 Wednesday night 1/9 I was piddling around town for about 45 minutes and the thing cut out again just blocks before I got to work......I limped into the parking lot hoping the police didn't see me first (parking lights were enough in town) and when I got off work the next morning everything was ok

#1 and #2 were during wet times and very cold times temps in the teens.#1 rain/sleet #2 stuck in snow bank
#3 dry and cool temps in the 20's

I haven't been back to the dealer yet because I understand that If they can't replicate the problem it will be hard to fix......ANY IDEAS?

I love my hyundais I also have a Elantra
Thanks
Doug