Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

HELP!! Poacher and anyone else that knows Accents

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 04:44 PM
Default HELP!! Poacher and anyone else that knows Accents

Well I've run into MAJOR amounts of frustration so far. Here's my problem at the moment. I just managed to get a hold of a '97 Hyundai Accent GT. Now there is a decal on both sides claiming Dual OverHead Cam 16V. The engine itself says the same thing. I lack a computer in it at all. Carfax on the other hand says it has a 12V SOHC. Now I'm basically in complete and utter confusion as to exactly WHAT I have and what I need to be doing with it. Here's a shot of the side with the 16V DOHC sticker. Hopefully that put the pic of the sticker up. Now the other problem is locating a computer.

[IMG]local://upfiles/967/3A97304CD1CC4BA3A990EF521E0E4B04.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Default RE: HELP!! Poacher and anyone else that knows Accents

When I got the car the underside of the dash next to the drivers' door looked like this:

My VIN # is KMHVD34N9VU287187 and according to Carfax this is the # for an Accent GS/GT Hatchback 2 door with a 1495CC L4 MPFI SOHC 12. I am assuming the 12 is 12 valve but again as you can see in the pic in the previous post it IS a DOHC. The plug wire cover claims 16V DOHC as well. (More pics later). Now I'm guessing the connector hanging there is for the ECU and so far I have been unable to locate a used one. For the time being I've stuffed the 2 hanging connectors up under the dash again so that I could clean the whole interior. I'll post more pics of the before and aftermath of the interior cleaning (You will be AMAZED at the transformation. It almost looks showroom good now on the inside with the exception of the shattered windshield).

[IMG]local://upfiles/967/4DC9FEE2903E48D29C409AB15542B8D4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-19-2006, 04:53 PM

I'd also like to find out exactly what kind of car this is refered to (I've seen all these posts for LC and LC2 and x3 what is it that I have) and also the block code for whatever engine I have. If pics are needed I can get them. If anyone knows what other vehicles used this ECU it would also be GREATLY appreciated. I would like to get this beauty back on the streets if it's as rare as poacher thinks.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:56 PM

Wow...what a mixed breed. Sounds to me like you have a 16 valve mutil port fuel injected engine in there. Could it be that at some point the original engine was swapped out?? Not so far fetched as it seems.
Brant

Old 01-19-2006, 09:46 PM

At first that's what I thought as well but in looking at everything it appears that nothing's been changed. The ECU was missing BUT maybe it was never there for this engine? Why would someone swap a 16 though for the 12 without having the ECU??? Also from the interior (I'll post another topic and other pics later as the interior was THRASHED) the car was owned by a guy with AT LEAST 2 kids. Why would he have swapped? And even if there WAS a swap why would you take the time and put the 2 decals on the side without having the car running?? I managed to snag an ECU out of an elantra with the 2.0 16 valve engine (After advice from Poacher) but I won't know if it's a successful swap until I get the clutch and get the trans back on. Unfortunately the starter is held in place by the trans. The starter turns freely when the key is turned though which I guess is a good sign... If I had access to a scanner II or Mac Mentor I'd see if it is able to communicate with the computer. Maybe I'll be able to get a hold of a friend and borrow his for a bit. Otherwise I dunno it's a confusing car and quite odd.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:48 PM

BTW the ECU from the 12 valve will not fit the harness that's in there right now. So if a swap WAS done they at least did the wiring already... Still odd though that they would go this far and scrap the car (I got it for $53.51).

Old 01-20-2006, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Did you connect the ECU yet, or are you waiting to put it together at once. What are you working on now?

Old 01-21-2006, 03:44 AM

ECU is in place and connected then I connected the battery. I tried to test the computer by turning the key on and listening for the fuel pump to kick on and off but I didn't hear it. Either it's THAT quiet or something might not be right... At the moment I'm at a standstill until I get the clutch in. It's on order and if anyone has any idea how the throwout bearing is put in place I'd GREATLY appreciate it. Unfortunately I didn't take the trans off so I don't know what it all looked like coming off. I need to know do the little pins on the throwout bearing go on top or behind the clutch fork and where the clip goes for it as well as if the clip is going to come with the new throwout bearing or if I'll need to find one (The guy lost the one that came off it). Also what about the pilot bearing? Should I go ahead and replace it or leave it be?

Old 01-23-2006, 12:47 AM

you know its a lot easier to identify what kind of engine it is with a shot of the actual engine instead of the decal on the side, stickers can be bought anywhere

Old 01-23-2006, 07:08 AM

It's not so much figuring out which engine I have as if it's the engine that's SUPPOSED to be in there. The engine IS a 16V I'm guessing it's the 1.5 but I really have no idea I just know the engine IS DOHC

Quick Reply: HELP!! Poacher and anyone else that knows Accents