Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

How does your 2001 Accent GS feel when idling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 12:12 PM
Default How does your 2001 Accent GS feel when idling?

hey there, I posted a problem before about my used accent 2001 GS model (in Canada) having a rough idle problem. After bringing it to the shop, they did a compression test and said that cyl 3 and 4 were crappy. they sent the cylinder head out to a machine shop, which repaired it, compression test is now normal and they had my car for over a week.

now that its back, it certainly drives better and i dont hear as much engine noise, but I still feel vibration when the car is idling. The amount of vibration increases as the engine gets warmer. The vibration isn't that bad to be honest, I can feel it coming through the gas pedal a little, and when I put my hand on the steering wheel its vibrating quite a bit, but I can't see the wheel vibrating anymore which is what I could see before they did this major repair. So the problem has gotten a bit better and maybe Im just paranoid,.

my question is, how are these cars supposed to feel when idling - is it abnormal to feel vibration in the wheel? I have a 1995 honda civic 4cyl car that idles way way better than my Accent, but maybe this is just a Hyundai Accent issue and is completely normal? Are there any other accent owners that can tell me how the car idles? Does it feel smooth or do you feel slight vibrations and when you put your hand on the wheel does it kind of feel like a clothes dryer?

Thanks for any and all feedback in advance.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: How does your 2001 Accent GS feel when idling?

Though mine is an older model, I have a slight vibration as well.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:41 PM

I took mine in to the dealership and an associate auto repair shop for a "tune-up". Basically, they changed the timing, serpentine/fan belts, fuel pump, replaced the trans. fluid, steering fluid, and used something called an "engine lifter cleaner."

When I got it back, it felt ever-so-slightly more sluggish and I did notice a bit of a vibration in the wheel.

I was told by a co-worker that they may need to adjust the timing of the timing belt.

Or maybe I got a bum fuel pump. Or maybe it's time that I change the air filter.

But I hear ya...

Old 07-26-2006, 08:11 PM

If its vibrating more you should have the engine and transmission mounts checked. Maybe when they replaced the engine they broke a mount and didnt tell you. You shouldnt feel a whole lot of vibration through your steering wheel with good mounts.