Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

How to install automatic antenna on accent

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Default How to install automatic antenna on accent

Hi,

I recently purchased a powered antenna from ebay (yes I know) to intall in my 1999 accent but unfortunately it didn't come with any instructions. The seller is not responding to my e-mails (a story for another day) so I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me out.

The cars original antenna was a standard manual one (i.e. non electric) which has been broken by some mindless vandals. I thought I might as well give a go at replacing it with an electric one. Is it even possible to install an electric antenna where the original was non-electric?

If it is indeed possible how would I go about connecting up the three wires (black, green and red). I understand that the black needs to be screwed into the vehicle body as an earth and the red connected to the positive battery terminal through a fused switch. However, what exactly is meant by "through a fused switch"? Can I not simply connect the wire directly onto the terminal itself?

I would greatly appreciate any advice and assistance.

Thanks

Old 07-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Default RE: How to install automatic antenna on accent

Yes, you can install an electric antenna even if the original was manual. You will have to decide on how the antenna will be raised (either by adding an extra switch in the car or perhaps the antenna can raise automatically when the radio is turned on).

As for the fused switch, yes, that is necessary for safety. If you were to connect the wire directly, there would be no protection against a short-circuit.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:24 AM

Thanks for the info!

Old 07-18-2007, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

I know on the Elantra hatch, even though power antenna was not an option in the U.S., the wire was put into the car that is fully wired. It is a 3-pin connector- one for ground, one for always-on power (that drives the motor) and one that comes on with the radio (to tell the antenna when to extend or retract). Look for a connector on a length of wire that is tied back to the harness in the area near the antenna. If it fits into the connector on the power antenna, I bet it is the right one.

On my Elantra, it was located in the left rear area near the antenna mounting, and it looks like this:

In my car, I used it to power andcontrolan amp.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:03 PM

Thanks for that DooHickie.

You can tell ceiling cat it's safe to come down now

Old 08-24-2007, 12:34 PM

hey
I have the same car

and I would like aautomatic antenna om my car

can you post some pics of the end result and the wiring of the antenna

can you post the manufacturers name and the type of the antenna

Is the antennaspecific for hyundai accent ?

thanks in advance

regards colin