Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Hyundai Dash light problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Default Hyundai Dash light problem

Hi, I'm having a minor problem with my 2001 Hyundai Accent. My Dash board is showing that my trunk is open, even though it is closed. Im leaving on vacation for 10 days and I'm wondering if a single dash board light could drain my battery.

I have no other lights on and I have removed the bulb that was lighting up in the trunk. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Default RE: Hyundai Dash light problem

There should be a switch somewhere where the trunk closes. It's kind of like the light switch in a refrigerator door. I don't know exactly where that is on your car but if you can find that, you should be able to replace it.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure about the Accent, but I think the switch is built into the latch of my Elantra. If you're worried about killing your battery, I think pulling Fuse 2 or 3 in the Passenger Compartment Fuse Box will keep that light from staying on. Just remember to put it back in before driving!

Old 09-07-2006, 07:45 PM

check the trunck door sensor and check if its loose, and if the car has been rear ended it could be that the sensor is not making contact.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:57 AM

I also have a 2001 Accent GSI 1.6 Manual

the light indicator for the trunk open is always on and goes away when i press the brake pedal and comes back when i release the brake pedal. What is the problem and what can i do myself to repair it?

i tried WD40'ing the switch located under the brake pedal and the problem is still there.

Your response would be greatly appreciated ASAP.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

The brake pedal has nothing to do with the trunk light. The switch that is causing the problem is located in the trunk. The reason the light goes out when you press the brake is probably because the g-force of braking causes the switch to shut off the light. You need to check the trunk switch.

Last edited by NovaResource; 04-14-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:11 PM

Dude what are you talking about the switch is located under the pedal.

I am parked and it will do it too, there is a brake switch under your brake pedal and the the trunk is somewhat tied into your brake line for some reason, there is no G-force, the light stays on all the time even when parked and the emergency brake is not pulled the light is on and no matter when i press the brake pedal the light goes away when i press the pedal down and when i let go it comes back.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

[SARCASM]
Yeah, Hyundai put the "trunk open" switch on the brake pedal.
[/SARCASM]

Looking at this official Hyundai diagram, the tailgate/trunklid switch doesn't apprear to be on the brake pedal:

Source: http://www.hmaservice.com

Looks to be in the trunk to me but you're the expert.

Last edited by NovaResource; 04-14-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:47 PM

I have a 2003 Hyundai Accent with the same trunk light problem. When I apply the brake the light goes off but returns when I let off the brake. I've disconnected the wire in the trunk latch and the light on the dash stays on. I've also checked every fuse in the car and they're all good. I'm running out of ideas on what the problem really is.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Cool i found it

Had the exact same problem and found the solution...open the trunk and remove the interior trim behind the left rear taillight....look way down below and you'll see two connectors,one with lots of wires in it.its way down there,almost hidden...check the green and orange wire its the skinnyer one there is 2...pull it gently,mine just fell apart and was severely green and corroded...i wasnt able to get the original type connector so i just put in a piece of wire therefore bypassing the connector itself...chances are yours is the same...good luck...