Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Install Sirius Radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Default Install Sirius Radio

I just purchased a 2008 Hyundai Accent with the "popular equipment package".
It comes with an AM/FM/CD player (I believe newer model has MP3).
There is no external Audio input.
I would like to install a Sirius Radio.
On my previous vehicle I used the FM Combiner so the Siruis FM signal went directly into the FM tuner.
This eliminates interference with other radios and the need to search for open FM channels.
I would like to do the same with this vehicle.
How do you remove the existing radio from the dash to get to the FM connection (without wrecking the dash?
Is there a way to access the antenna without opening the dash?

Thanks in advance.

Adam

Old 09-16-2008, 03:07 AM
Default RE: Install Sirius Radio

My 08 Accent came with AM/FM/CD/XM with an aux input down by the lighter. As I understand it the radio pops out. Use some tape on a flat bladed screw driver and pry it out.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:00 PM

I just got done ripping my radio out and putting it back. Heres the short version of what to do if you want to install a new radio with an exterior aux.port for Sirius or Xm . (if you don't want to put in a new radio, skip all this and read the last paragraph only!)

You only need to take off the trim ring around the radio. Take the thinnest flat screw driver and pry from one of the lower corners ( I started on the lower right corner.) When you get a little bit of a gap started, stick another screwdriver in the gap above where you started and pry out. This will release the lower clip. These clips are TIGHT.
Dont worry. Work slow and you can get it off by going around the top a clip at a time.

Finally, I bought a JVC KW-XG700 Double din radio. The standard double din radios will require fill strips. They are about a 1/2" short in both the width and height of the face plate to fill the opening. So, unless you want to use the stupid looking fill strips or something else you can do like I did.

Return the radio and pay the restocking fee. Take the Sirius FM Direct kit (which I hope you saved with all the other junk they send you with your radio) and hook it up to the antenna lead on the back of the stock radio. You can reach it from under the dash on the passenger side very easily, plug it in and you will have the Sirius hooked up and no more hassle.

I can put up some pictures if you let me know the preferred manner. Thanks.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:36 AM

ORIGINAL: deserttaxguy

I just got done ripping my radio out and putting it back. Heres the short version of what to do if you want to install a new radio with an exterior aux.port for Sirius or Xm . (if you don't want to put in a new radio, skip all this and read the last paragraph only!)

You only need to take off the trim ring around the radio. Take the thinnest flat screw driver and pry from one of the lower corners ( I started on the lower right corner.) When you get a little bit of a gap started, stick another screwdriver in the gap above where you started and pry out. This will release the lower clip. These clips are TIGHT.
Dont worry. Work slow and you can get it off by going around the top a clip at a time.

Finally, I bought a JVC KW-XG700 Double din radio. The standard double din radios will require fill strips. They are about a 1/2" short in both the width and height of the face plate to fill the opening. So, unless you want to use the stupid looking fill strips or something else you can do like I did.

Return the radio and pay the restocking fee. Take the Sirius FM Direct kit (which I hope you saved with all the other junk they send you with your radio) and hook it up to the antenna lead on the back of the stock radio. You can reach it from under the dash on the passenger side very easily, plug it in and you will have the Sirius hooked up and no more hassle.

I can put up some pictures if you let me know the preferred manner. Thanks.
Thanks. I want to add a subwoofer . I assume I need a LOC and tap into the R/L speakers? I already have the amp and sub.