Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

intake help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Default intake help!

I have a 02 Hyundai Accent 4 door 1.6L. I was wanting to put an open element cone filter on the stock intake tube but im having trouble finding a filter that will fit in the clamp... Anyone have advice???

Old 11-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Default RE: intake help!

http://kia-fx.netfirms.com/estore/nf...roducts_id=337

For an 02 Rio, which is more or less a Kia badged Accent.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:33 PM

If you're just looking to buy a cone filter from like auto zone, easiest thing to do is messure the diameter of the tube and match it up witha filterat autozone or advanced auto parts. If you're not looking to buy a complete intake, it would probably be best to just clamp the air filter to the MAF sensor, it won't be a cai, but it will still help air flow, gas millage and performance. Infact, advanced auto parts has a filter that has several different size rubber rings on the air filter so you can put it on a 2 1/2" up to 3". Hope this helps.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:54 PM

Hey thanks Rdturbulence... I will check the filters out at Advanced Auto Parts. Thanks again!

Old 12-05-2008, 12:15 AM

"it would probably be best to just clamp the air filter to the MAF sensor, it won't be a cai,"

i dont understand, how would that not be a cold air intake?Granted i'm assuming we're talking about placing the cone where fresh air is reachable. isit because theMAF ispaired with the cone? Do true cai kits have different sensors?

Old 12-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: cliffjumper

"it would probably be best to just clamp the air filter to the MAF sensor, it won't be a cai,"

i dont understand, how would that not be a cold air intake?Granted i'm assuming we're talking about placing the cone where fresh air is reachable. isit because theMAF ispaired with the cone? Do true cai kits have different sensors?
A true CAI (Cold Air Intake) places the filter outside the engine compartment where it will get colder air. Placing the filter on the MAF inside the engine compartment is like an SRI (Short Ram Intake).They will not receive colder air because the engine creates heat to warm the air.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:57 PM

Question: at winter time it is better to have a SRI instead of a CAI?

Ok I'm living in Canada, so it can get pretty cold here.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

When it comes to performance, colder air is better. A CAI may give some slight problems in very cold climates when the engine is still warming up but not much.

Water and puddles are a much bigger problem to worry about with a CAI. If the filter gets submerged (and because most CAI's place the filter very low to the ground this can happen)the engine will suck in water like a straw and hydrolock the engine.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:26 PM

Hello Nova,

I not really looking for performance, but for fuel economies,
and a fast warming car in the morning when I bring the kid to the day care.

Could a SRI will be better that the OEM Air Intake?
and which one between a SRI and a CAI should be better for my propose.

Thank all.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

In all honesty, the factory setup will probably be best for you.Both the SRI and CAI will slightly helpfuel economy, both are also much louder than the factory intake.

Quick Reply: intake help!