Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Looking at buying an Accent. Any Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Default Looking at buying an Accent. Any Thoughts?

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum. I am looking into buying an Accent. Not sure if I want to buy new or within a few years old yet. I am looking for any info from Accent owners or previous owners. I'm looking for pros, cons and general suggestions when purchasing. I would also like a suggestion as to which type to go for. (basic, sport, premium, etc.)

I love to hear any feedback you can give. Please let me know.

Thank-you very much! All and any thoughts are apprietiated.

Thanks,
Stephanie

Old 12-01-2006, 01:57 AM
Default RE: Looking at buying an Accent. Any Thoughts?

Overall a good car some complaints and irritions with the car that I notice during the last 5 years engine noise,bad CV bearings, eats brake pads for dinner, MAF sensor dies out on almost every car, flimsy suspension, doesn't hold well to rust...

I'm planning to buy another one because there cheap, easy to fix, and have a simple design where any novice DYI mechanic can do most of their own maintenance and repairs.

One key thing... AVOID the AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION..

My suggest if you need an A to B car the Accent is good. The depreciation is terrible so your better off buying 3+ years old for under 5k, then spending over over 12K new.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:11 PM

Hi, new here too. Got a dead '99 Saturn (bad remote starter install, broke hood release cable, couldn't get to block heater, -35 weather for several days, screwed battery, now alternator and tranny most likely gone), looking at '07 Accent 3dr GS3 Premium automatic trans with block heater.

Good I've heard:
*driver seat raised 2 inches, more comfortable for taller drivers
*5 out of 5 stars for side impact in front seat
*good mileage (31-37mpg)
*60 month/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty

Negative rumblings:
*3 out of 5 stars for rear passenger side impact
*"mushy" steering
*complaints about engine noise in cabin
*110hp engine peppy, but not powerful

Heard way more positives than negatives, so I'm looking to buy in the next few days. Likewise interested in other comments.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:49 PM

I'm also interested in replacing my aging '93 Spirit (2.5L) with something more economical especially for around town errands. I got 290 000kms out of the spirit and now it's costing me more to fix it then I'd ever be able to sell it for.

I work up the block from the local Hyundai dealer and can't help but notice the Accent. I stopped by and it seems fairly large inside for someone my size (6'2" 220lbs). I'd definately get the 5 speed manual.

Performance is tepid at 10.2 seconds from 0-60mph with the 5 speed and 11.8seconds with the 4 speed auto. As much as I don't care for the exterior looks, the interior is very descent. The interior is important since I spend time driving the car, not staring at it. A GL sedan with comfort group (5 speed trans) runs just under $16K here in Ontario. Very good deal.

Depreiciation on the other hand isn't a good deal with the Korean cars. If anyone plans to purchase new, at least keep it for the duration of the warranty to make the purchase worth while. As with any car these days, an outstanding maintenance record is key for long term ownership.

On the highway the Accent has best interior noise level in its class at 69 decibels. Compact car class average is 72! The one thing that will take me a while to get used to is the engine RPM on the highway. My truck turns 2000rpm at 60mph and 2200rpm at 70mph; The Accent with the standard shift turns 2939 and 3429rpm at 70mph. I did the calculations from the gear ratios/final drive the dealer gave me so it's within' 2% accuracy. That's with 185/65R14 tires on the GL w/comfort group. The GLS with the few options it has, comes with the larger and lower profile (55 series) tires, will cost 30% more to replace and won't even last half as long as the 65 series tires! So the GLS is not worth while.

Time for another drive!