Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

My Easiest Brake Job

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 04:46 AM
Default My Easiest Brake Job

I am ancient and that translates into owning and servicing many makes of vehichles over the years. I have always done my own brake replacements, oil changes, and easy things like changing alternators , starters , batteries etc.. . Only did one complete engine re-build many moons ago in another life on a old Ford Econoline 6 banger van. I don't get into that type of repairs any more.
Yesterday it was time to replace the rotors and brake pads on the front of my 2002 Accent.
I must say that was the easiset brake job I have ever done. Just did it in my driveway in less than 1/2 an hour per wheel.
It was just like working on a big toy.
My hat is off to Hyundai for making some things so user friendly when it comes to maintenance.
W.Y.

Old 04-02-2006, 03:13 AM
Default RE: My Easiest Brake Job

I could always do pretty easy brake jobs on front of my vehicles,but when it come to the back ones forget it!I could never handle the annoying springs that held the brake shoes on....argh!!!!You have better luck with rear brakes?

Old 04-02-2006, 04:57 AM

I have to agree that the rear drum brakes can be a PITA compared to the front disc brakes but I have yet to have any mechanic do any brake job for me. The rear ones on my accent are still good but I will tackle them when the time comes. Hopefully smaller parts and weaker springs etc than on big full size vehichles will relate to an easier rear brake job.
W.Y.

Old 04-02-2006, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

The Accent drums aren't that bad. I tore mine apart twice already and they haven't been that much of a pain.

Old 04-02-2006, 07:39 PM

I'll be glad when my back shoe pads are wore down enough to warrant new ones. The ones that are on it make a hell of a scraping, grinding sound whenever it is wet out and soon as it is dry they are quiet.
I bought the car with 25 k kilometers on it and the dealer told me that sound was normal. Not being satisfied with that explanation I had them remove the wheels for inspection. The linings still looked like new. They said they use a high metal content in the originals so they will last 100K kilometers. He said to go to regular after market ones after they need changing and they will be quiet wet or dry.
The car now has 60K km on it so the rear ones are probably good for another 40K km .
W.Y.

Old 04-02-2006, 08:06 PM

You got that right about the scraping/squealing noise when the rear brakes get wet after a good rain...makes me look bad because when people hear it they look at me like i dont take good care of my vehicle :/......oh well.

Old 04-05-2006, 08:32 PM

ok got a cure for that remove the rear brake drums and using emery or sand paper rub the outer edges of the brake shoes so they have a sort of shamfer to them also while you have the drums off sand the shine off the shoes and also using copper grease lube the back plates where the shoes touch. try it , so far its worked on all the cars i have done.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:53 AM

Thanks.....i'll try that soon since they getting close to a brake change.

Old 04-22-2006, 11:14 PM

Hello,

it seems you guys all have some experience with changing break pads. I dont but would like to gain some. Since I dont have the service manual anymore, could you explain in plain English, step by step, how you change the brake pads on a 1996 Accent? Or direct me to a website where I can learnt it!

Thanks,

Balazs

Old 04-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Which ones do you want to know how to change, the disk or the drums?

Quick Reply: My Easiest Brake Job