Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Removing 02 Accent Fender/Door Decal

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Default Removing 02 Accent Fender/Door Decal

I have a 02 Accent Hatchback and it has a factory decal on front fender to door...up to now it looked fine in fact no scratches or dents in door until today (cant believe I have it this long without dents and scratches)
I dont know what hit but it didnt dent but scratched paint and peeled a small part of decal...my question is
If I wanted to remove bad part of decal is it covered with clear coat since it comes from the factory or cant peel it and polish out scratch
I actually wanted to remove the whole decal at one time and polish the whole door but it seems like alot of work
Any suggestions would be helpful thanks

Old 08-18-2010, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Hard to say without seeing it. Is it just a thin pinstripe? Can you catch your fingernail on the edge? It's probably just a sticker. My Tiburon had a very thin pinstripe from the dealer that I just peeled off that day I bought the car.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Banned

having done a bit of body work myself, i can say that its hard to tell with situations like yours until you begin to work on it. i can't say anything for sure without seeing it in person.

that being said, take a close look at the damage, you should be able to see where (if) the paint is broken. you can attempt touch ups with touch up pens, but you're not fixing a decal without removing it and replacing it.

if you want this to look perfect, see a body shop. when i want something to look near perfect, i find the only way is to:

1. strip the paint completely.

2. use bondo/glazing putty where necessary to smooth out any problems. hammer on some dents helps too

3. prime, paint and clearcoat from scratch. BTW, to get good results i use some pretty high end paint. its a polyester base. very expensive at about $70 CAN a PINT (and thats cheap believe it or not) and its also highly hazardous. a respirator, fully covering shop coat, eyewear, and gloves are very necessary unless you fancy a hospital trip. also this needs to be done with a compressor and paint gun, no ghetto clackity clack cans.

what this comes down to is a few factors:

1. how perfect do you want this to be?

2. are you capable of this kind of work?

3. how much money do you want to put into this?

Old 08-18-2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by zero_gravity
having done a bit of body work myself, i can say that its hard to tell with situations like yours until you begin to work on it. i can't say anything for sure without seeing it in person.

that being said, take a close look at the damage, you should be able to see where (if) the paint is broken. you can attempt touch ups with touch up pens, but you're not fixing a decal without removing it and replacing it.

if you want this to look perfect, see a body shop. when i want something to look near perfect, i find the only way is to:

1. strip the paint completely.

2. use bondo/glazing putty where necessary to smooth out any problems. hammer on some dents helps too

3. prime, paint and clearcoat from scratch. BTW, to get good results i use some pretty high end paint. its a polyester base. very expensive at about $70 CAN a PINT (and thats cheap believe it or not) and its also highly hazardous. a respirator, fully covering shop coat, eyewear, and gloves are very necessary unless you fancy a hospital trip. also this needs to be done with a compressor and paint gun, no ghetto clackity clack cans.

what this comes down to is a few factors:

1. how perfect do you want this to be?

2. are you capable of this kind of work?

3. how much money do you want to put into this?
Well thanks for that info and yes I have done some body work and sprayed with a compressor also I used a rattle can on a pair of mirrors for another car and it really went on nice I was pleasantly surprised
Also fixed dent in black chevy P/U with correct paint and air brush but luckily on this problem I was able to take an exacto knife and lighty reshape the end of the body decal (did it on both sides with a paper template) and then to my surprise I was able to compound and buff out a good part of the paint where you really cant see anymore so I was very fortunate
And by the way I guess the factory body decal is not clear coated because as I cut it and removed the damaged and the good part on other side it just came off and the bufffing process removed any marks made by decal removal
I was lucky to say the least his time
I did start to think about removing the whole decal I never liked it but I ll want till it gets cooler here in Florida once decal is removed I should be able to buff it in match surrounding atleast thats the impression I have even thought this decal has been on a long time