Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Removing brake drums

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 01:19 AM
Default Removing brake drums

How do I remove the rear brake drums from my 2000 Accent? On any other vehicle, I place an adjusting lever in the rear slot after removing the rubber seal, fumble my way around until I find the ratcheting mechanism, inevitably turn it the wrong way, curse, turn it the correct way (to get over the ridge of rust), and then simply slide the drum off. Of course this is all after the preliminary work of removing the wheel and hub nut.

Behind this particular slot, the only thing there looks like a brake pad and either way I move it, the drum stops freely turning.
In any pictures I found, the ratchet is nowhere near this slot. This brake was locked up, but it can now turn, however, I have to get in and see what is going on, especially since one of the pins for the retaining springs pulled right out.

The Hyundai online manual was a little too detailed. It said 1) Remove brake drum

Nowhere was there a how!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Default RE: Removing brake drums

well, i just inspected drum brakes on my wife's 2002 Accent and here how i did it:
1) Remove wheel;
2) use screwdriver and from behind the drum leverage the screwdriver against the drum - push it toward you;
3) move screwdriv around the drum and repeat the same operation;

Drum will tend to stuck because there's a step created on the inside of a drum, as it wears out after use. I was able, once I couldn't use screwdriver anymore, to pull it out with my hands. Just apply equal preassure and try to hold drum paralel to the axis of the wheel and you should be ok.

I hope this helps,

Majki

Old 09-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Default RE: Removing brake drums

remember to take of the E-brake cause if u leave the E-brake up the drum is never gonna come out beileve me it happened to me lol
good luck.