Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Service tech at Hyundai does not reccomend using synthetic oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Question Service tech at Hyundai does not reccomend using synthetic oil ?

I went into the hyundai dealership to pick up some parts and got to talking with the service tech about oil .I told him that my 2003 accent 1.6 had 73000 miles on it and i just did an oil change yesterday and went with mobil 1 fully synthetic 5/30 to try it out , he then told me that hyundai does not reccomend putting in synthetic oils due the tolerances of the engine and it keeps the seals from seating. I said to myself i figure the seals have already seated with the miles that are on the car now

So should i drain all the synthteic out now, what should i do guys?

Old 04-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Go to another dealership and tech. The guy doesn't know what he's talking about. I have well over 70K miles with Mobil1 synthetic oil in 3 different Hyundai engines. Zero problems.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:01 AM

The only issue you may see, when switching to syn on a higher mileage engine that has always had non syn oil, are some leaks. I have heard it's better to stay with the petro based oils if that is what has been always used in that motor. Im sure it's not definate that you will get leaks, just a good possibility. I use M1 in my car, but started at like 3000 miles.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bigrob
The only issue you may see, when switching to syn on a higher mileage engine that has always had non syn oil, are some leaks. I have heard it's better to stay with the petro based oils if that is what has been always used in that motor. Im sure it's not definate that you will get leaks, just a good possibility. I use M1 in my car, but started at like 3000 miles.
That's a myth. When synthetics first came out it was true but modern synthetics have additives that help gaskets seal.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ics/Myths.aspx
Myth: Mobil 1 will leak out of the seals of older cars.
Reality: Mobil 1 does not cause leaks. In fact, new Mobil 1 was tested in dozens of industry standard and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) tests to prove its seal performance. It is fully compatible with the elastomeric materials from which all automotive seals and gaskets are made. If an older engine is in good condition and does not have oil leaks, Mobil 1 provides the same advantages as when used in a new engine. ExxonMobil recommends taking measures to repair the leaks, then using Mobil 1. ExxonMobil also recommends following the automobile manufacturer's manual for the proper oil to use. Also watch our answer; it's myth four of five in our online video.

http://www.texlube.com/oilmyths.htm
Myth #5 - Synthetic oil causes engine leaks. Synthetic motor oils eat gasket material and cause engines to leak. Synthetic motor oils affect engine seals and result in excessive oil leakage. Synthetic oil can’t be used on high-mileage engines. Synthetic and synthetic blend motor oils cannot be used in older or high-mileage vehicles.
Fact: Synthetic oils do not cause engine oil leaks. Deteriorated and hardened seals and gasket material cause engine oil leaks. If the seals are already leaking with conventional motor oil, they will leak with synthetic oil. If the seals are in good condition, synthetic oils may be used in high-mileage engines.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/gener...tentId=7017050
FACT or MYTH?
Synthetic motor oil will ruin the seals in older vehicles and cause leaks.
Answer: MYTH! We're not sure who leaked that rumor, but synthetic motor oil does not cause leaks. It is 100% compatible with all automotive seal and gasket materials. In fact, SYNTEC meets additional ACEA seal protection requirements not even addressed in API specs.

Last edited by NovaResource; 06-19-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:21 PM

I had never heard that! Thanks for that info Nova!! You know how "THEY" can say things!!

I have a '99 Ford Explorer 5.0 AWD with 115000 on her. They guy I bought it from was a fanatic and the truck was maintained beautifully. Runs PERFECT! It has alway had Castrol regular oil, but I just may have to switch to M1! I know I would feel better with SYN in the motor!

Last edited by bigrob; 06-19-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:25 PM

I went from 36-38 mpg to 39-40 when going to a 5w30 synthetic vs the 5w20 dino the dealer was using.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Default syn

Synthetic oil = better gas mileage, more power, prolonged life of the engine. I have 193,000 (and going) to prove it.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:46 PM

I just bought a 2010 Sonata with 13,000 miles. I plan to go synthetic and saw that the engine calls for 5W-20. Don't have any experience with it. Do you guys think I should go with the 5W-20 or the 5W-30 I use in two other of my vehicles. Of course that's what they call for.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:44 PM

We keep the MOBIL 1 5-30 in stock, as it is a main stream easy oil to get..

Old 06-27-2010, 11:14 PM

I bought my car new in 02 and my first oil change was switched to Mobil 1. I now have 152K miles and have never had a problem. Engine is dry as a bone and even my oil pan is rusting from being so dry. Try that with a domestic car..

Quick Reply: Service tech at Hyundai does not reccomend using synthetic oil ?