thermostat housing - Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:37 AM

Default thermostat housing

the thermostat housing I can not get it off to replace the thermostat. bolts came loose easy but the seal want come loose to take the thermostat cover housing off thinking of using a lot of force but may break it off. some help please!
Old 03-20-2017, 10:29 AM

Usually it is the seal or RTV used as a gasket that keeps the thing from coming off.
Using a thin piece of metal and trying to slice between the housing and engine block might help to loosen it.
Then use something to help pry it open.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:03 PM

Thinks will try harder, if I break the housing I've already bought another thermo. housing in case I break this one. these housings have two out lets one the thermo. sets
in .the other smaller outlet I think is a safety outlet. if the thermostat become stuck close the motor will not over heat so quickly. have time to get to a safe place to fix problem.my thermostat has been stuck open for quite a while dealer shop want touch it even said it didn't have a thermostat. they also said in 2004 my bought new with only 7 miles on the odometer Hyundai accent gl. 1.6l did not have a cabin air filter go figure that one. always used synthetic oil 5-6 thousand oil change.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:29 AM

Just tap it with a hammer, perhaps put a piece of wood down to soften the blow.