Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Timing belt replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Default Timing belt replacement questions

I am going to attempt to replace the timing belt as well as the 3 other belts on a 01 Accent with a 1.6. I looked at hmaservice website and printed out some diagrams and instructions. I am wondering if I should replace water pump or just leave it ? The car has 166K miles so It may be near the end of its service life? Is there anything that may give me trouble other than the the crankshaft pulley ? I have an impact gunn for that and a pulley remover as well so my concern is the timing belt. Is there any tricks to keeping the timing from getting tweeked ?I have a timing gun so Im sure I can get it figured out,but if anyone can help me with a few pointers I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:29 AM
Default RE: Timing belt replacement questions

I am wondering if I should replace water pump or just leave it ?
If original, by all means replace it (NovaResource is smirking at this moment).

Is there any tricks to keeping the timing from getting tweeked ?
The two most common mistakes I am aware of are putting the new belt on backwards and not setting the belt tension tight enough. The new belt will have an arrow printed on it indicating the belts direction of travel. Also, remove the spark plugs first so that the engine can be easily rotated to check timing mark alignments. Rotate the engine by hand in two rotation cycles to bring all marks back to center (the cams rotates at half the speed of the crankshaft). Remember, this is a true interference engine. Any misalignment can be disasterous for the engine.

Check and be prepared to replace the bearings in the timing belt pulleys. I think this engine has both an idler pulley, as well as the tension pulley.

I have a timing gun so Im sure I can get it figured out,
This will be of no use for this procedure. If the timing is wrong, you will know the minute the engine is started.

Good luck.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:56 AM

Ken99,
Thanks for the info ! I will try it and hopefully keep this car on the road ! I will update when Im all done

Old 01-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Banned

Why don't you get a timing belt kit, which includes belt, water pump, seals, gaskets, and tensioner?

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:43 PM

I have removed thecrankshaft pulley, and the timing cover. I am looking for the timing marks but I am unsure as of their location ? The camshaft sprocket has 2 indentations with green paint on them. Is one of those needed to align for timing ? I am kind of confused as to the instructions from hmaservice .Does Thecranksshaft sprockethave any markings? I cant see any obvious markings other than a"nipple" (for lack of better word)on the block ? Thanks for any help. I really dont want to screw it up.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:08 PM

Does The cranksshaft sprocket have any markings ?
Yes, sometimes the casting marks are not very pronounced. Take a stiff piece of wire about 10 to 12" long and insert it into spark plug hole #1. Watch the wire as you align the marks. That should confirm that piston #1 is TDC. Make sure the wire is long enough not to fall into the cylinder.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4972/CF4F7D94154D4579AE50C747A621EED5.gif[/IMG]

Old 01-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Banned

Usually you set the crank to TDC. Put the pulley back on temporarily, and set it to 0 is how I do it.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:45 PM

Ken,Jsinton,
Thanks I found the sprocket mark and lined it up with the block casting. The cam sprocket was simple and I got the water pump on, timing belt back on and I am taking a break so I can finish up the remaining belts. I appreciate all the help. I did start up the motor before I swapped the water pump (not alot of fun) And so now I just got to button everything up and have a cold beer !!! Thanks.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:08 AM

Great news ! I am drinking a cold beer because I swapped out my first timing belt on a Hyundai !!!I also replaced the water pump, and although it took probly alot longer than it should have, I am glad. I put it all back together had some dinner and took it for a spin and she drove great. I hope it keeps running for another 166k miles. Its not my car but my brother would be happy to have it on the road that much longer. Thanks for all the advice here. It really helps out alot. I ended up finding the timing marks on the crankshaft sprocket. that was the toughest part I was having. Again thanks and I'll drink to that !!!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

166k miles? You realize the timing belt shoudl be changed every 60k miles? Glad the car has lasted this long and I hope it lasts another 166k miles but I hope you change the timing belt more often.

Quick Reply: Timing belt replacement questions