Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Upgrading Instrument Cluster for X3

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Default Upgrading Instrument Cluster for X3

Hi All, I’ve Searched this Forum and haven’t found anything to answer my questions, so I’ve added this post asking for your help and assistance. The question I have is has anyone upgraded their X3 non-tacho instrument cluster to the sporty tacho cluster? How successful is it?

Some background, I have a 1998 X3 DOHC, which I have recently acquired and I’m in the process of customizing to include better instrumentation, i.e. a tacho. I want to keep the clean layout of the standard dash and so have decided to go for the ‘deluxe’ cluster upgrade. The Speedo drive connection and mounting bracket are the same for both, so there’s no problem there. I’ve tried this and it works fine. There are, however, several issues about how it should be installed to ensure all the gauges and warning lights etc. work. [ul][*]Both versions of the cluster have the same number and size of plug connections, but the pinouts are very different. I’ve downloaded the circuit diagrams from hmaservices.com for both layouts and I’m currently working through them before making the swap. Has anyone already done this and are there any problems?[/ul] [ul][*] There are a couple of other Posts asking about how to pick up the Tacho signal, but non (that I could find) have been answered. Can anyone confirm if connection 8, on the ECM, is the correct one?[/ul] [ul][*]Are there any other problems that I should be aware of?[/ul] If anyone can provide any information it will be greatly appreciated. TIA

Old 01-18-2008, 02:16 AM
Default RE: Upgrading Instrument Cluster for X3

Hi All, I continued to reseach this topic and have found an article that provides instructions on 'how to' swap the Clusters over.

Go to http://www.geocities.com/hyundaixl2000/gxdash.htm

My progress: I had already done all the pin swapping before I found the article and have noticed a couple of differences between their pin swaps and mine. They say move Std 15 to GX 18, but Std 15 on my Cluster isn't used (there is no pin) and by me it should be Std 16 to GX 18 and Std 18 to GX 20). My lights work okay, but I suggest you double check to be on the safe side as it is the Low Fuel and Engine Check lights. I still have to do the Tacho wire (the hard part) and the article offers a good solution for this much asked for task. If I have any difficulty with it, I'll let you know.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:41 AM
Default RE: Upgrading Instrument Cluster for X3

Hi All, This should be my final word on this topic as I have successfully completed the Tacho hook-up. One small point worth noting is that the previously mentioned article and the wiring in my X3 differ because according to it my DOHC has SOHC wiring and I find that hard to believe. Otherwise, the article was great and saved me untold hours of frustration. A big thanks to the author, who ever he or she might be. Cfn.