Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

white smoke coming from exhaust..

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:59 PM

ha ha well i wont be geting him again.. no way.. do you think i should get it looked over by another mechanic or just leave the car be..

Old 07-18-2010, 12:59 PM

Wow felt like I was just put back in time about 8 years ago. We were dealing with this every week. On some accents the oil was going between valve guide and head . You could see this when car sat overnight it would smoke alot. The fix was just pop a head on it and done ready to roll. I havent seen one with any lower end problems. The head swap took like 3 hrs and its done. Now if you gonna get a head and you buy from hyundai you need to go ahead and get new valves and the seal kit and have machine shop do the building of the head. We did our own in shop but again we had tools to do the job right. It might cost same for a new head as it is for a used engine. Weigh that option.We never had luck with machine shop fixing old heads due to casting issue between guide and head. Either way you go good luck and thanks for taking me on a trip down memory lane.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:52 PM
Banned

yeah the vlaves leaking oil is always a possibility here, but that does not cause white smoke as the OP is having. you'd generally get black or grey smoke, definitely not white. white is either coolant burning or a bunch of condensation in the engine.

my feeling here would be to have someone else take a look. and as far as the valve seals/guides do you notice smoke behind you when you take off from a stop light? thats the big tip off for that problem. however a new engine, no freakin way.

options if its the valve problem are as suggested a new head, head rebuild, or even one from a junkyard.

the condensation (which i suspect) is really only evident after the car as been left for a while (usually overnight) so that condensation has a chance to build inside the engine. thats very normal and not harmful. take careful note of when this problem occurs and that will determine if you need to have it looked at - preferably by a more competent mechanic that isn't out for money.

unfortunate as a female who does not understand cars, the crooked mechanics prey on your type. just be careful and ask lots of questions, ask friends who they go to as well.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:52 PM

If it was coolant they would notice a loss. Have you ever noticed loss of oil in between oil changes? The only way to determine what is causing the smoking is an accurate diagnosis. You can remove spark plugs and check for oil burning on them. You can also see if it is coolant . Now for smoking takin off at stoplights....never seen a hyundai have that problem . FIRST... diagnose find what is causing the smoke , then work on solution. I would look at all of the spark plugs. Check for loss of oil or coolant. Maybe do a compression test or even a cylinder leak down test. Look in the intake throttle body is there any oil? How about the PCV valve ...is it operating properly? There are a number of things to look for. We do this all day so we know what to look for so just do some research and lets see where it leads.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Oil smoke would be blueish in color but it can't hurt to check the oil level and plugs.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:01 AM

checked the coolant again today, still the same..sometimes while taking off but it mostly happens when driving slowly..sometimes goes on for a few mins, leaves clouds behind, other times its not as bad, its worse in the heat..yeah the car is burning oil real quick.. thought it was a leak at first but wen that mechanic checked he said well these cars do burn oil quicker.. but now its down to wear and tear in the engine.. 2 to 3 litres im putting in every 2 to 3 weeks al depends how much driving im doing.. other than this, have no other problems with the car..

Old 07-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Banned

yep thats what we were looking for here. your engine is burning the oil for sure. if you have emissions laws to contend with where you are it WILL fail. and no these cars don't really burn oil fast at all normally. from what you describe there is a problem with the valve seals and/or guides, this means some rather expensive head work.

"sometimes while taking off but it mostly happens when driving slowly" theres the big clue as to it being a valve sealing problem. i can't say 100% and as hyundai-tech suggested a proper diagnosis is needed. what i'm saying is that behaviour is common to the valve problem.

here are the possible problems, someone will chime in if i miss anything:

-valve seals and guides. this means your exhaust and/or intake valves in the engine head have lost their seal and are allowing oil to enter the combustion chamber and be burnt creating your smoke. requires removal of the head and some somewhat extensive rebuilding. a used engine head is another option.

-head gasket. although rather rare on these cars and even more rare to be oil, the head gasket can be leaking oil into the combustion chamber.

-piston rings. at that point yes a new or used engine is probably your cheaper option. the rings that seal the pistons inside the engine may have worn out and allow a good deal of oil to enter the combustion chamber again.

-yes as hyundai-tech suggested check in the throttle body and check the PCV valve. thats a simple and cheap fix so i would start there.

step one is to provide any more information here you can, even the things that seem small and trivial may give us another clue. second step ask around for a good mechanic. ask here if you are unsure and want some advice of what a mechanic tells you.

finally if its something like the valve seals/guides the repair bill is going to hurt...fair warning.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:14 PM

not sure on emmision laws,im here in ireland, as far as i know the higher it is the more tax we pay on it..
how much do you think it will hurt if it is the valve problem..?
not sure on any other things that might help. sometimes i get the odd smell as its smoking, not a burning smell as such.. the smoke doesnt happen ongoing, as i drive it, it will just start coming out at anytime,and yeah as i said, only wen driving slowly, never wen driving fast, when it does happen its quite embarrassing.but as i live in a small town i tend to be driving a lot slower most of the time.i have no problems while drivng fast, or on long distance drives.sometimes the fan kicks in after turning the engine off for maybe 30 seconds in the heat..even after a short drive.. however, not all the time.. thats all i can tell u for now.. thanks for that.. i will go on a mechanic hunt over the next few days..

Old 07-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Banned

well short term its really not too damaging as long as you can keep putting oil in. here in canada (and most of the US) we have to go for emissions tests every so often. every other year here. if it fails, you have to get it fixed and costs a bit. if you have nothing like that, then emissions are not a worry for you.

long run you're going to get a lot of buildup inside the engine. problems are going to include spark plugs wearing out a lot faster, buildup on valve seats making the engine much less efficient, partial blockage of the intake (throttle body mainly), blockage of various emissions components such as the PCV valve, eventual blockage/damage of various sensors such as the o2 sensors and MAP sensor, and i'm not 100% sure but i would imagine that long term could kill the catalytic converter.

once you get a proper diagnosis make your decision from there. if its the valve problem you're looking at repair engine head, replace engine head, or maybe it might even make sense to get rid of the car and get another. thats up to you.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:56 PM

yeah will do..might not get much for the car so will just see how much it costs to get fixed first.. the mecahnic that ripped me off has offered 600 euros for it even though he wants 700 off me to fix it..i was told not to take that amount.
would make more sense to get rid of it i suppose..
you should start charging for all ur advice..

Quick Reply: white smoke coming from exhaust..