Hyundai Azera A Hyundai like you've never seen before.

Gas Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 03:32 PM
Default Gas Consumption

I bought a new 2006 Azera in February of 06 and it's an amazing vehicle. Hyundai really out did themselves this time. I only have 1 situation that many people are having and that is the Gas mileage for City is 12-15mpg and Highway 22. I've talked with Huyndai (the dealer) and they say that it's within sticker specs. 18-27. or 16 -25. I have read many forums that the owners swear that they ae getting 30 highway and averaging 22 City. Let's hear from you people. I'm interested in knowing what you get in your Azera

Old 07-15-2006, 03:17 AM
Default RE: Gas Consumption

I've had my Azera since February. On the highway, moderately rolling hills and some flat areas, I'm getting 36.4 mpg [NOT using the AC].

In the city I get 25.4 mpg. I turn it off when I wait at drive-thru windows like the bank or restaurants. I try to keep the trunk empty.

Tonight is the worst it has done [using the defroster and AC in the mountains.] But still it is doing great. I keep my tires inflated at 31 pounds and I run 87 octane gas. I just wish gas was cheaper ... [don't we all!]. It does great on trips. Fantastic handling in torrential rains [like I had tonight]. I drove from Winston-Salem, NC to Grove City, PA on just 18 gallons of gas. Never got that far before in ANY vehicle on that little amount of gas. That was through the mountains too! Great ride. I wonder what you are doing to have such low mileage? Sit in a lot of traffic? Lots of stop lights? Drive-thru windows with it idling? You're NOT supposed to let the Azera idle more than three minutes according to the owners manual. Okay ... that's my input. Love my Azera!

Old 07-15-2006, 03:19 AM

RESET YOUR GAS MILEAGE METER TOO ...

If you don't reset it, you won't have an accurate reading.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:43 AM

I just finished a 150 mile interstate trip and the trip computer gave a MPG of 28. I held it at 65 MPH. Combined city/hwy travel on my new Azera is around 19 MPG. I would say there is something not right with your Azera.

Old 07-31-2006, 03:09 PM

I also just finished a 200 mile trip yesterday 7/30/06 and my Fuel consumption read 20.5 mpg. I filled the tank when I returned home and for the first time, The tank read 373 miles to empty. Usually it reads 335 to 342 when the tank is full. I am wondering if the computer in this vehicle has a learning curve for mileage. This morning when I drove to work the Fuel Consumption readout went up to 21mpg ad it usually hovers around 12-14. I've been trying to get answers from the dealer and Hyundai motors but it seems that it's very hard to get in touch with an engineer to discuss possiblities. I have been keeping a log of mileage etc to get a good range of what my mpg really is but it's all over the place with the same mileage, driving etc.. One week I will get 12 mpg and then the next week I get 19mpg driving the same route to work, same speeds etc.. I appreciate everyones input on your fuel consumptions

Old 08-03-2006, 01:40 AM

The distance to empty is based on the current MPG in the computer, so if you were doing highway travel and the MPG went up, the distance to empty will be greater. As you do more city driving, the distance to empty will be lower. Resetting the trip computer MPG reading will also cause a recalculation of the distance to empty.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:54 PM

I hear what your saying. It's amazing that the dealer doesn't know this information and they tell you that there is nothing they can do cuz you are within specs. I always reset the Trip, fuel Consumption etc on every fillup. This didn't clear the computer to the affect that it has had on my Azera. With mostly city driving and some highway 90/10, The amount till empty would not go over 342 miles when I filled the tank so as you stated my mpg was low. I had to take a long trip on the highway from a full tank to get the mpg to a higher point, use up more than half the tank and then fill up the tank and let the computer decide that I have gone a further distance on X amount of gas and recalculate the amout of gas till empty. This inturn recalculated the mpg that the Azera gets. I'm curious to see on another long trip if the mpg goes higher than it has on previous trips. thank you for the assistance to help figure out what is wrong and how to fix it. It would be nice if they put this in to the manual.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:05 AM

I have been averaging about 24.5 around town and sometime 23.0. This is averaging 1-2 MPG better than my Sonata which I don't understant. The Azera seems to get a little less on the highway than the Sonata but a little better around town. This I don't understand at all.

Mark
Ball Ground, GA

Old 11-10-2006, 03:33 AM

and I thought I was the only one wondering about these. [:@]

Old 01-01-2007, 04:00 PM

Re: Post # 2 and #3, Winston, thank you for the encouraging MPG results of up to 36.4 MPG on your new Azera.
May I suggest some proven economy tips for Azera owners;
To assure accuracy, fill-up your gas tank yourselves, and be sure to 'top off' the tank to the top.
(gas station attendants will often stop at the pumps 1st click, at less-than-full, giving us less-than-accurate mpg numbers)
Reset the 'trip meter' each fill-up back to zero.
At the next tankfull, top off the tank again, and divide the # of gallons you just pumped, into the current miles on your trip meter. This will give you current MPG for the tank of gasoline that you just replaced. Write this data down in a little book. You will see a pattern emerge as you document the results.
Safely use your brakes as little as possible. Plan ahead for red lights and stop signs, as well as traffic in front of you. Do not tailgate, but keep a safe driving distance as traffic flow allows.
Alignment: Please keep your cars wheel alignment maintained. Poor wheel alignment will rob you of proper safety, excessive tire wear and poorer MPG.
Avoidsudden stops and rapid accelleration. This consumes high fuel penalties.
Drive at steady speeds (avoiding undulatinggas pedal ups and downs),
Tire pressure: add 5-pounds pressure to your Azera recommended tire pressure. The ride will be slightly harsher, but your easier rolling resistance will increase your Azera's MPG. Check your tire pressure on a regular basis. More often in the winter when colder weather will ravage your tire PSI. Purchase a good digital tire gauge, and keep it in your glove compartment. Remember the recommended PSI tire pressure listed for yourAzera is for comfort - not for fuel economy.
Important: Change your engines air filter once a year (annually). Change more often if you drive many miles, or driving in dusty or dirty locations. Clean air filters will save you many gallons of gasoline, and will pay for the filters themselves.
Use synthetic engine oil. This type oil has minimal engine resistance for better MPG and provides better winter engine startup. Mobil 1 is a highly rated synthetic oil. Lab testing indicates that engine parts will last longer as well.
Avoid long engine warmups in the morning.
Stop'n go driving consumes higher gasoline volume. Avoid this type of drive.
Fast driving consumes more gas (anything over 55 mph consumes more gas). Going 75 mph is not a fair speed to judge the economy of your new Azera.
A serious 25-35% MPG penalty can be realized driving 70-75 mph or higher.
In the winter season, oil company additives in gasoline rob you and I of gas economy. Expect lower fuel economy from October thru April simply due to "winter gasoline" additives. One additive (I believe)helps prevent gas line freeze-up.
Sorry to ramble on. Hope this may help a proud Azera owner of obtaining better value from your new car, much like Winston Azera has shown us.

Quick Reply: Gas Consumption