Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

01 Elantra Leaking Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Default 01 Elantra Leaking Transmission Fluid

I have a 2001 Hyundai Elantra that is leaking transmission fluid. It's a manual transmission, and the leak seems to be coming from where the left front axle meets the transmission; it started about 2 weeks ago. I had the left axle and axle seal replaced about a month and a half ago, along with some other work.

I've taken it to the mechanic four times so far. The first time he said he thought the axle had slipped out of place a little, so he tapped it back in. It was still leaking, so I took it back; this time he replaced the axle seal. Still leaked, took it back again, this time he replaced the axle and the axle seal (with factory parts -- no aftermarket). Still leaked. I took it back today and he's going to replace the axle seal once more and apply some sealant around it.

He's been a cool mechanic so far (he's even done all of this work without charge under warranty of the axle he put in), and from what I hear he is a good mechanic. My dad has been using his services for years, and a couple of other people have told me he's a good mechanic. But now he's pretty much stumped. The only other thing that he can think of is that the transmission housing could be cracked. He's going to inspect the seal housing with a magnifying glass this time and otherwise look for what could be leaking, but he's not very hopeful.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? I just bought this car used 6 months ago -- I would hate to have to replace the transmission already. As a full-time student I don't have a very reliable source of income, so a new transmission would really hurt financially.

Thanks for any help, everyone. I've loved the car so far, but this leak is really stressful.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Default 01 Elantra Leaking Transmission Fluid

I just wanted to see if you ever figured out a way to stop the leak? I also have an 01 Hyundai Elantra and had the drivers side axle replaced and after having a new axel put in the axel actually came out. The mechanic thought maybe the transmission was bad but when he checked it, it seemed ok? So he put a new seal in and it leaked again. So on the 3rd time, he put one more new seal in it and it is still leaking. I don't know what to do? Didn't know if you figured it out and if so, could you please let me know what to do.
Thank You,
Crystal

Old 10-23-2010, 03:16 PM

Yea, the leak was fixed. It turns out that the mechanic's distributor had been sending him axles for the automatic transmission version of my car, which has a larger diameter where the seal rests. The larger axle was ripping the seal every time a new one was put in. A new (correct) axle and new seal later, no more leak . Luckily all the parts and labor were free since the mechanic has a warranty on all his work. Lots of hassle, but it turned out alright. Good luck with your car.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:36 PM

hey guys
I want to thank you for posting what happened to you. After reading your post (my manual transmission was leaking too after cv axle replacement) I went and check the part number that the Hyundai dealer put in. The replace the old one with an automatic transmission cv axle. I took the car back to them and they replace the seal and the axle for free.
Something to keep in mind, seem that this mistakes are not that uncommon.