Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

05 elantra head deck removal

Old 12-04-2005, 08:23 AM
Default 05 elantra head deck removal

have just spent the last hour trying to remove my factory head deck out of the dash with no head way.

does anyone know how to remove it or instructions on this?

urgently needed thanks.

i own a 05 sedan(aus head unit)

Old 05-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Default RE: 05 elantra head deck removal

yea man, you don't wanna mess anything up to the point where you gotta pay to get it fixed. try going here
http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremoval.htm

Old 05-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 05 elantra head deck removal

That site charges for the directions. It's not that hard, really.

1. Remove the ash tray. Using a phillips head screwdriver, remove the two screws that are visible in the ash tray hole.
2. Remove the two screws in the instrument cluster bezel above the speedometer & tach.
3. Starting near the ash tray, pull the dash fascia off. There are several pop fasteners; just work your way around popping them one at a time till you get to the vent near the door.
4. Disconnect the electrical connectors for switches, lights, clock, etc., that are attached to the fascia. Each one has a catch; once you depress the catch the connector should come free if you wiggle it around and pull.
5. Remove the six screws that hold in the stereo head unit and the bin beneath it. they are attached together with two brackets (one on each side).
6. Disconnect the electrical connectors for the head unit.

You will need an adapter harness to connect your new head unit to the factory wiring. If it was not included with the price of your stereo, it will cost about $10-20. The brackets holding the head unit to the storage bin can be used to mount the new head unit.

The Hyundai OEM head unit face is not the same size as an aftermarket unit. The opening in the dash fascia will ikely be too small to include the trim bezel that comes with your aftermarket unit, but large enough to leave a gap around the detachable faceplate. There are several options here:

1. If you don't worry about the untrimmed area, it will look like this:

2. Trim out the unfinished area. I had some foam tape that was about 1/16" thick which I put on the perimeter of the head unit *before* putting the fascia and faceplate on. The foam was pressed under the fascia at the outer edge and when I put the head unit face on, it compressed the foam slightly on the inner perimeter. When I had it this way, it looked like the following picture. Other things besides foam could be used including electrical tape, black construction paper or cardboard.

3. Buy the 00271-84004 OEM unit (about $40 at a dealer or online). My Pioneer unit fit perfectly except that there are small tabs that stick out of the unit (I think for security purposes) that I bent over... then it fit perfectly. It looks like this:

4. There is a more affordable OEM option that trims out the area but omits the door- it's part number 00273-83000 (about $15-20). The doorless kit looks like this when it's installed:

Note: This post was largely copied from a post I made to ElantraClub.com in this thread.