Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2000 elantra automatic gls Transmission 4-3 shifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Default 2000 elantra automatic gls Transmission 4-3 shifting

I bought a 2000 elantra in july from a used car dealer and the day after on my way to work the car was getting stuck in third gear. I took it back to the dealer and told him and he had his mechanics and a transmission guy look at it. Nothing wrong. No codes. So they say. I finnally got it to do it and took the dealer with me and he drove it and saw it for himself and finnally admitted there was a problem. He has supossedly had the transmission rebuilt twice and I just got it back yesterday and on my way to pick up the tag and it did the same thing. It got stuck in third. Now, it does drive better and does slip as bad but the problem is still there. This last time it was rebuilt, all the parts were replaced, including the torq conveter. The shutter I fill is very slight when shifting from forth to to the passing gear while going down the road or while accelerating out of a turn where I entered it from forth gear. the shutter seems like a torq converter. When traveling at road speeds and trying to acclerate slowly to pass of just increase speed is when I notice the shutter and if I don't back of of it it will **** to third and if it is shifting between third and forth several times it will get stuck in third almost everytime. I don't drive hard or accelerate like a maniac but if I do drive it harder and accelerate faster or tromp the gas to pass it shifts fine and wont get stuck. Any ideas or experience with similar symptoms. Could it be the Transmission control module/computer causing it. As far as the rebuilds go, I have not seen any paperwork showing that it was done but like at said at the beginning of my novel, it does do better than it did when I first bought it. Sorry for the long naritive but I wanted to be clear on the problem. Any help on this would be great. I just want it fixed.\

Joe

Old 10-17-2008, 06:56 AM
Banned
Default RE: 2000 elantra automatic gls Transmission 4-3 shifting

It's really hard to say if they really rebuilt it or not. You say it shifts ok if it's under hard acceleration? Does the speed at which it shifts have anything to do with it? Like my car will shift easier when it's cool, but after long, hard miles... it shifts at a much higher speed.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Default RE: 2000 elantra automatic gls Transmission 4-3 shifting

It doesn't matter what the temperature it is. I don't know if it shifts "ok" under hard acceleration but itwill usually shift into third with out getting stuck. As i was driving yesterday, I noticed that when driving at around 40-45 mph in town and then slowing down to make a turn and then accelerating out of the turn it stutters if i don't let off and it will probable shift into third but it may get stuck or it may do ok but it deffinitley stutters everytime when gently shifting from forth to third. The same thimng happens when gently accelerating while going 55-60 or 65. I am at a loss.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:32 AM

same thing happened to me with my 2000 elantra. It was the transmission pump