Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2009 Elantra - PCV Valve location?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Default 2009 Elantra - PCV Valve location?

Hello all,

Does anyone know where the PCV valve is located on the 09 Elantra? The diagram at hmaservice.com is of absolutely no help since the diagram is NOT for the 09 Elantra. I would really prefer to not have to spend an entire weekend trying to track it down.

Other than that, I'm enjoying my 5 speed. I have only owned it for about 2 months now. The hardest part to get used to was the location of reverse!

Old 05-25-2011, 10:01 PM

Look at the Vacuum diagram decal affixed to hood..

Follow the vacuum hose off intake to the cam cover.. can't get any easier than that..

Why you look for PCV ?? Everybody that try to replace them breaks the cam cover, then tries to get us to warranty the cover for damage they did.. we dont even replace PCV valves, nothing to really wear out, unless you fail to keep clean oil in engine all the time and sludge the valve..

Old 05-26-2011, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

The PCV is in the back side of the valve cover under the engine cover. There is a hose from it to the intake manifold surge tank.

#2 in this pic:

Last edited by NovaResource; 05-26-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by sbr711
Look at the Vacuum diagram decal affixed to hood..

Follow the vacuum hose off intake to the cam cover.. can't get any easier than that..

Why you look for PCV ?? Everybody that try to replace them breaks the cam cover, then tries to get us to warranty the cover for damage they did.. we dont even replace PCV valves, nothing to really wear out, unless you fail to keep clean oil in engine all the time and sludge the valve..

I'm not sure about the previous owner but I haven't owned it long. When I fuel up, the car doesn't want to start for several seconds to a minute afterward. Everything I've found on the problem indicates a possible problem with the valve which is why I was looking for it. Maybe it's something other than the valve. Please let me know if you have seen this before.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:06 AM

That is the diagram I was looking at. One of the first things I noticed is the orientation of my air filter and it's hose doesn't match the diagram. There were a couple other things that didn't match when just looking at the engine trying to orientate myself. If those were different it looked like other things would be different too.

I didn't even think about the diagram the other post mentioned using.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by peackpr9
That is the diagram I was looking at. One of the first things I noticed is the orientation of my air filter and it's hose doesn't match the diagram. There were a couple other things that didn't match when just looking at the engine trying to orientate myself. If those were different it looked like other things would be different too.
You are correct. That pic is of the newer 1.6L Gamma engine. You can tell by the plastic intake manifold on the radiator side of the engine and the exhaust manifold on the firewall side of the engine.

US Elantras in 2009 still had the 2.0L Beta-II engine with the intake on the firewall side of the engine and the exhaust on the radiator side of the engine. I corrected the pic in my above post. See of these help:

#2 in this pic:

Another pic:

Last edited by NovaResource; 05-26-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:57 PM

Thanks!!! The updated pictures are the ones for my car. Now whenever it stops raining I can check into it more and test if it really is the PCV valve or something else that is causing the car to not want to start after fueling.

I have to admit, I'm loving this car more each day. I forgot how much fun a 5 speed was. Now if I can just remember to keep my hands off the gear shift while driving the Santa Fe. I keep wanting to shift gears.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:28 PM

PCV valve has nothing to do with starting after fueling the car.

PCV is nowhere near any liquid gasoline.

I would be more interested in the purge control valve, as it draws across the canister' charchol bed full of trapped fuel vapor during refuel.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:44 PM

Thanks for clarifying that. I thought the same thing but everything I read up on kept repeating PCV where the other one is a PCV solenoid.