Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2013 Hyundai Elantra cranks but won’t run

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by avisitor
You are going to need to go to a mechanic that can actually diagnosis this issue.
Ordinary mechanics are parts changers. That is all they know how to do.
They don't really know how to troubleshoot tough cases.
If the mechanic changed any parts then you will want the old parts back in case they are still good.

Have seen where a power steering sensor kept an engine from running.
The power steering sensor was sending out erroneous voltage spikes
Which in turn kept the crank sensor signal from being clean

Anyway, different vehicle.
Would probably put an oscilloscope on the voltage supply to crank sensor and on the output of the sensor
This way you can see if there is anything going on that is compromising the signal.
Would also need schematics to see what else is on that crank shaft sensor

Good luck
my good people, interestingly my car is working perfectly now,I dont know which of the technician made the error of switching the crankshaft sensor harness to another sensor's harness,so,we've been practically plugging the crankshaft sensor into a wrong harness all this while. It was when I noticed that the crankshaft sensor doesn't key in or remove easily that my mechanic noticed they are not meant to be clipped together and found it's harness clipped into another sensor,you can imagine. Thanks so much all for the response. I will only patronize professionals going forward.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:36 AM

LOL! That's one of those smack-my-head hard lessons!

Happy motoring!

Old 12-26-2018, 02:54 PM

Wrong harness, wrong connector, .... really??
Tough enough to troubleshoot when things are connected properly
It becomes impossible when this type of thing happens
Well good luck moving forward

Old 12-27-2018, 02:38 PM

Hey Guys,
Just couldn't let this one pass,
Unfortunately, there are some "I really don't like to use this expression, mechanics" out there that can manage to do some unbelievable things like get plugs that are supposed to be designed to mate with only the correct other half AND they can manage to plug them together even if the designer says that's impossible!! Well there's bound to be more anyway, Happy Hew Year Everybody !!

Old 12-31-2018, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Don't feel badly,
There are some conditions that will not always throw a code AND there some conditions that will throw a completely unrelated code. The object is to know which you have and as stated there are lots of , "people" that have no idea what to do or where to go if they have no code to look at. Because they lack the knowledge of how the system is supposed to function and check it out, they change parts or automatically blame "the blackbox". There are many times unless you have the proper test equipment , you are out of business.
Just think, there is more computer power in today's vehicles than the first space capsule that went to the moon, scary isn't it ?
Thanks it's working now but stalls after the AC is on for some minutes,what should I look out for?

Old 12-31-2018, 09:10 AM

Thanks it's working now but stalls after the AC is on for some minutes,what should I look out for?
Cooler temperatures.

Jokes aside, normally the idle speed gets bumped up when the AC is turned on. Does that happen? If not then the computer does not get the message or it does not send the message.
I wonder if the other connector got damaged by the forced marriage. It may be the one that communicates AC mode to the computer or computer output to the throttle body.

Does the AC work properly in other regards?

Old 12-31-2018, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by allegretto
Cooler temperatures.

Jokes aside, normally the idle speed gets bumped up when the AC is turned on. Does that happen? If not then the computer does not get the message or it does not send the message.
I wonder if the other connector got damaged by the forced marriage. It may be the one that communicates AC mode to the computer or computer output to the throttle body.

Does the AC work properly in other regards?
The AC works properly ,even at idle but car starts vibrating and eventually stalls after some minutes buts starts immediately. Without AC it runs all day.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:42 AM

The AC works properly ,even at idle but car starts vibrating and eventually stalls after some minutes buts starts immediately. Without AC it runs all day.
It may help to know if the idle speed goes up when you turn on the AC. Drive with the AC off. Park the car, put it in P or N and let it idle. Watch the tachometer. Turn the AC on. Idle speed should rise about 100 rpm. turn AC off, idle should drop to were it was before.

Old 06-13-2021, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by avisitor
Sitting quietly in the car, turn the ignition key to the on position and listen
Did you hear the fuel pump prime the fuel rail (about 2 seconds)?
Have someone crank the engine, feel the fuel injectors for pulses
Check for spark.

If not spark and no injector pulse then may be the crank sensor
If no spark and there is injector pulse then issue is in the ignition system
If there is spark and no injector pulse then fuel system issue
Hi Everyone,

my hyundai elantra 2013 cranks and roll but wont start.. it was diagnosed and mechanic comfirmed it was a spark plug issue. I tried getting some spark plugs but wont start..do i need to get a new hyundai spark plug for that fits my car? Am getting frustrated..

Old 06-13-2021, 12:10 PM

Let's see if we can get you kinda in a good start position, OK ?

Since all engines are not the same, therefore all spark plugs are not the same.
A good parts store should be able to provide you with the correct plugs for your vehicle. They will need, the year, model, and engine size.

Now , lets go back and review what "The Mechanic told you".
Been doing diagnostic and repair work for many years and have yet to see all plugs go bad at once, EXCEPT , if the owner never replaced them and they have lots and lots of miles on them. Here again , spark plug replacement is not as simple as it might sound. People don't confirm the new plug is set to the recommended gap,they crack them on installation, under or overtighten them.Some people even manage to connect the coils/wires incorrectly.

There are some reasons for an engine not to start among which are a Security system problem, (which does not seem to be the problem from your description), no spark when required, no or insufficient fuel to the engine.
Fuel and spark need to be verified. Once they are present at the right time and in the right quantity, the only things that could contribute to a no start are possible overfueling, insufficient info to the engine computer to allow the engine to start.
This is what a technician looks for and verifies .
There are no short cuts and the more good parts are replaced hoping to hit the problem , the more chances another problem has been introduced. Why? Some partts today are defective right out of the box. If the repair person doesn't know their "stuff" the bill just keeps rising and the problem eludes them.
Suggest you get some recommendations from friends of a good shop and have them do what is necessary , with the right equipment and information.

Quick Reply: 2013 Hyundai Elantra cranks but won’t run