Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

97 Elantra Lazy acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Default 97 Elantra Lazy acceleration

Hello All, new to the forum. Maybe someone can help.

My 97 elantra with about 100k miles has become really lazy out of the blocks in about the last 5000 miles. Sometimes it gets so bad that acceleration to 15-20 mph can take up to about 10 seconds. Once it reaches that speed acceleration is much the same as before.

I recently changed the plugs, plug wires, air and fuel filers, all to no avail. It almost feels as though the spark is not advancing until certain revs are reached. There are no codes.

Anyone have any ideas

Old 07-31-2007, 08:29 AM
Default RE: 97 Elantra Lazy acceleration

ok, is this an automatic transmission? You might find that the transmission is not going in to 1st gear. I've actually had a vehicle this happend to... it actually didn't go into 2nd either... lol Have you replaced the transmission filter recently.? If not,, you might want to replace it.. And try putting some Trans Tune (autozone, walmart etc... ) in with the transmission fluid. I"m thinking that it could be that.But, let me know what you find out...

Old 07-31-2007, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

DO NOT put any additives into the AT fluid of a Hyundai. Unlike other cars that use Dexron or Mercon AT fluids Hyundais (as well as Kias and Mitsubishis) use SP-III AT fluid. It's characteristics are not the same as the more popular fluids, so things that work for other cars don't necessarily work for Hyundais, and may actually DAMAGE the transmission. Also, when you get the transmission flushed, make sure they use SP-III and not some kind of "universal" AT fluid.

All of the internal failures of Hyundai ATs I've heard of have been due to either not doing the maintenance at all, or using the wrong fluid.

If the transmission isn't shifting and is stuck in 3rd gear, the most likely culprit is a bad speed sensor. There are several speed sensors on the car, including the crankshaft position sensor, the transmission input sensor, the transmission output sensor, and the wheelspeed sensor. If thereis a miscompare between these sensors, the transmission goes into "limp home" mode where it just stays in 3rd gear all the time becuase it doesn't know what gear it should be in. If this is the case, there is nothing wrong with the inside of the tranny, just the sensors that tell it when to shift.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:06 AM

yeah, don't put any additives into the transmission. Might cause more problems in the future. Good call doohickie. Thanks for the info. I'm used to American Engines/Transmissions. This is my first Hyundai

Old 07-31-2007, 09:15 PM

Thanks for all the replies. This automatic, and though its slow to shift down, it is getting into first. This also happens if I set the stick to first.
It is due for a transmision flush and new filter, so I'll get that done, and report back. One thing I have noticed is that this mainly happens when the engine is hot, and its a fairly warm day

Old 08-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

It's gotta be one of the sensors.... maybe MAF? (Do the 97s have a MAF?)

Old 08-01-2007, 02:08 PM

Well, I wont say that was a waste of 150 bucks, but having the flush donedidn't resolve the problem.

I've also been thinking MAF, but its expensive, ifits notcertain thatits the problem.

Anyone know how to test these things?

Old 08-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Old 08-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Old 08-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

DTC - P0102, P0103 (MAF SENSOR)[/align][/align]
TROUBLESHOOTING HINTS[/align]
If the engine stalls occasionally, start the engine and shake the MAF sensor harness. If the engine stalls, check for poor contact at the MAF sensor connector.
[ol][/ol]If the MAF sensor output voltage is other than 0 when the ignition switch is turned on do not start the engine. Check for the faulty MAF sensor or ECM.
[ol][/ol]If the engine can be idle even if the MAF sensor output voltage is out of specification, check for the following conditions:

Disturbed air flow in the MAF sensor, disconnected air duct, and clogged air cleaner filter.[/align]
Poor combustion in the cylinder, faulty ignition plug, ignition coil, injector, and incorrect comparison.[/align]
[ul][/ul]
[ol][/ol]Though no MAF sensor malfunction occurs, check the mounting direction of MAF sensor.
[ol][/ol]
USING VOLTMETER

Check item: Mass air flow sensor output voltage (MAF sensor side connector No.1 or ECM harness side connector No.41)
Engine state -- Test specification
Idle (800 rpm) -- 0.7 - 1.1 V
3000 rpm -- 1.3 - 2.0 V

NOTE

When the vehicle is new [within initial operation of about 500 km (300 miles)], the mass air flow sensor air quantity will be about 10% higher.[/align]
Use an accurate digital voltmeter.[/align]
Before checking, warm up the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches 80 to 90°C (176 to 198°F).[/align]
[ol][/ol][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]

Quick Reply: 97 Elantra Lazy acceleration