Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Default Check Engine Light

Earlier this year, I bought a 2003 Hyundai Elantra. As I was driving to work today, I noticed that the Check Engine Light was on. I've never had that before on this car. The previous own told me it used to come on for him because he would overfill or not close the gap on the gas enough. I filled up last Friday, so I know it's not that. I own a Tracker before this car and I was able to lift the code form the check engine light by jumpping something under the hood with a paperclip. Can anybody tell me how to get the code off of the car for the check engine light at home???? Also, once I get it, where can I find a list of the codes and what they mean?

Oh, and it also is driving fine, no smells, no shakes, or anything!! So I'm wondering if it's a sensor or something like that.

Thanks!

Old 05-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Default RE: Check Engine Light

Can anybody tell me how to get the code off of the car for the check engine light at home????
Yes, there was a procedure on older Hyundais using an analog multimeter to extract codes (see https://www.hyundaiforum.com/m_14674/tm.htm), but the only way I know to pull error codes off a OBDCII compliant Hyundai (like your 03 Elantra) is with a code scanner. You can buy a relative inexpensive scanner for ~$100 most anywhere, Walmart even carries them. Some auto parts stores will loan scanners or even scan the car and interpret the codes for you. Autozone is one store that provides this service. If you have a mechanic that you routinely do business with, they may pull the codes for a minimal charge. I have one that performs this service for $10 if he knows I'm likely to do the work myself, knowing he will get the business if I don't.

Also, once I get it, where can I find a list of the codes and what they mean?
Codes for Hyundai are available on their service site at http://www.hmaservice.com/. You have to register and login, but the site is free for public use. It's a bit quirky to navigate at times, but the site contains a gob of information. For the 03 Elantra, the engine codes are provided under the "shop" menus. All others including tranny codes are under the "DTC" menus. Be sure to read the site requirements when you register. You may have to download some free plugins for your browser. Also, many codes are not unique to Hyundai, but are used industry wide on all OBDCII cars. You can always google an error to see what responses come back.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Check Engine Light

Sometimes if the gas cap is not on tight the CEL will light. Make sure the cap clicks at least 3 times when tightening it.