Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

check engine light, won't receive fuel at pump...???

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Default check engine light, won't receive fuel at pump...???

I have a 2001 elantra that the check engine light is on. I thought it might be the fuel cap not tightened properly so I tightened it and reset the system. The engine light went off for a day or so and then came back on. The car is running perfectly, so I wasn't overly worried about it. Then I tried to fuel up and I wasn't able to put more than half a gallon in it at a time without the pump clicking off as if it were full. I knew it wasn't full so I thought maybe a bad pump. It wasn't because it happened repeatedly at every pump no matter how slow I put the fuel in. I even replaced the fuel cap but that didn't do any good. Check engine light is still on, car runs perfect, but I can't fill the car up without spending 30 mins at the pump [:@]. I had autozone scan it and it pulled up a code that they said was indicative of a vent problem. Any suggestions of what the problem is and how to fix it. Thanks

Old 01-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Banned
Default RE: check engine light, won't receive fuel at pump...???

So did you note what the codes were when you went to Autozone?

Anyway, the problem is the ventilation purge valve, the canister flow valve, and or the charcoal canister is the problem. It's extreemly common on Elantras. It was caused by overfilling the gas tank past when it shuts off the first time, which floods the canister, causes the charcoal to float out and clog up the system. I have the same problem. It cost a fortune to fix correctly, as you need all those parts to fix it. The 5 cent solution is to take the flow valve, the the purge valve, and the hoses off and clean all the charcoal out. The quick fix it to pull the big hose off the charcoal canister, this will allow you to fill the tank, but will cause the trouble code system to throw a PO455 code, and light the check engine light.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:15 AM

thanks jsinton. I do not recall the exact code it threw but the PO455 sounds familiar. Like I said, the car runs just fine. Its a pain in the @$$ to fuel. Unfortunately, I do not know my way around a hyundai. Is there a place on this forum that helps with repair?

Old 01-12-2009, 07:29 AM
Banned

Join the hmaservice.com official Hyundai service site. There's lots of info there.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:54 AM

I'll try that, thanks again

Old 01-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Banned

Found the troubleshooting proceedure:

general diagnostic procedures: hard-to-fill fuel tank[/align]DESCRIPTION[/align]All 1999 and later Hyundai vehicles incorporate a new emission control system known as On-Board Refueling Vapor Recovery (ORVR). A general schematic of the system is provided below. [/align]Some owners may experience difficulty filling their vehicle with gasoline and a premature shut off condition as a result of the gas pump nozzles installed at their gas stations. The nozzles at these stations are in the process of being retrofitted or replaced by the nozzle manufacturers. In the meantime, owners should follow instructions posted near the gas pump, and/or try filling the vehicle at a different gas station.[/align]If the refueling difficulty continues, verify that the 1/2" vapor path from the fill vent valve on the gas tank to the air filter on the charcoal canister (see schematic below) is completely
free and clear. To perform the procedure below, make sure the fuel tank is below 1/4 tank full.[/align]To quickly determine the general location of a possible vapor path restriction:[/align]Disconnect the hose connected to the canister side of the liquid-vapor separator (see schematic below).[/ul]Take the vehicle to a known "good" or major brand gas station.If the vehicle readily accepts fuel, the restriction is located between the liquid vapor separator and the air filter.[/align][/ul]If the vehicle does not easily accept fuel, the restriction is located between the liquid vapor separator and the fuel tank.[/align][/ul][/ul][/align]On-Board Refueling Vapor Recovery (ORVR) Schematic[/align]The following components are contained in the ORVR system:[/align]Vapor hoses[/align]Liquid-Vapor Separator(s)[/align]Fuel Fill Vent Valve[/align]Fuel Cut Valve (anti-spitback)[/align]Canister Close Valve[/align]Air Filter[/align]Charcoal Canister[/align][/ul][/align]After the restriction has been isolated to either half of the system, inspect each component to make sure it is free and clear of any restrictions. Verify that no
back pressure can be felt anywhere between the fill vent valve and the air filter at the canister.[/align]NOTE[/align]1999 Accents have two (2) liquid vapor separators: one located on top of the fuel tank, the other located alongside the filler neck.
[/align][/align][/align][/align]When checking the liquid vapor separator, blow through one end of the pipe using lung power. NO
back pressure should be felt. [/align][/align]Verify that the Fill Vent Valve is open by carefully removing the valve and confirming that the white plastic shut-off plunger moves freely inside its cage.[/align][/align]If the fuel cut valve plunger is stuck closed, a hard-to-fill condition may result. Verify that the plunger moves up and down freely allowing fuel to enter the tank, but does not allow fuel to travel up the neck (under pressure). The plunger should be "up" (closed) in its free state. [/align][/align]IMPORTANT[/align]When working with the Fill Vent Valve and associated plumbing, be sure to replace the hoses into the proper hose clips to prevent fuel from getting trapped / puddled in the vapor hose. Return fuel from the liquid-vapor separator must have a clear path to drain back to the tank.
[/align][/align]Four Way Valve [/align]Purpose:
The Four Way Valve provides an additional vapor path to the canister during refueling. [/align][/align]NOTE[/align]1999 Sonatas have a Four Way Valve located between the liquid vapor separator and fuel tank.
[/align][/align]Proper operation of the valve is as follows: [/align] Air flows freely in either direction through the 1/2" ports. [/align] Air flows freely in either direction through the 1/4" ports.[/align] Air flows from 1/2" port to the 1/4" port when blowing into one of the 1/2" ports while plugging the other 1/2" port.[/align] Air does not
flow from 1/4" port to the 1/2" port when blowing into one of the 1/4" ports while plugging the other 1/4" port.[/align][/ol][/align][/align][/align]warranty information:[/align]Normal warranty operation codes and times apply.[/align][/align][/align][/align]

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:09 PM

WOWjsinton! I really appreciate the great response and directions. Thanks for going out of your way to help me out. As soon as the tank gets down to a quarter I'll try this procedure and post the results. Thanks alot man!!

Old 01-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Banned
Default RE: check engine light, won'

No problem. Let me know how it goes, I got the same problem, but I'm too busy right now.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:22 AM

i have the same problem on my 99 elantra. i can get excellent gas mileage. so far, i've managed to get about 34mpg. the trouble at the pump can be very frustrating. last time i filled up, it took 9 minutes.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:26 AM

2001 elantra could not fill gas easily, and also trouble codes P0455 and P0446. Using above info found kink in 1/2 inch hose leaving charcoal canister where it passes thru the mud shield/housing. This solved all my problems. Thanks for all the help senior members.

Quick Reply: check engine light, won't receive fuel at pump...???