Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

correct folder structure for 2011 Elantra?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Default correct folder structure for 2011 Elantra?

Hello everyone! So I bought a brand spankin new pearl white 2011 elantra, so far i'm absolutely loving this car. I bought the base model gls with the 6 spd manual, it shifts and runs like a dream. Anyway to the question, so im trying to use an 8gb USB thumbdrive (formatted in fat32, 2048bit allocation size) to play music through the stereo head unit. I have the folder structure like this artists\album\filename.mp3 the "artists" folders are located in the root of the drive. The files play play fine, but the folder structure just isnt there. I was expecting it to be a traditional folder structure where first you choose the folder with the name of the artist you want to listen to > then you select which album from that artist > then you select which track to play (the bottom of the tree is the only folder that actually contains any .mp3's) Unfortunately the head unit doesnt show the artist folders it just puts all the albums in one folder (instead of sorted by artist). Anyway any suggestions on how to get this figured out would be appreciated.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by kingweaver88
Hello everyone! So I bought a brand spankin new pearl white 2011 elantra, so far i'm absolutely loving this car. I bought the base model gls with the 6 spd manual, it shifts and runs like a dream. Anyway to the question, so im trying to use an 8gb USB thumbdrive (formatted in fat32, 2048bit allocation size) to play music through the stereo head unit. I have the folder structure like this artists\album\filename.mp3 the "artists" folders are located in the root of the drive. The files play play fine, but the folder structure just isnt there. I was expecting it to be a traditional folder structure where first you choose the folder with the name of the artist you want to listen to > then you select which album from that artist > then you select which track to play (the bottom of the tree is the only folder that actually contains any .mp3's) Unfortunately the head unit doesnt show the artist folders it just puts all the albums in one folder (instead of sorted by artist). Anyway any suggestions on how to get this figured out would be appreciated.
First off, Hi from another 2011 GLS owner. Just signed on and did my New Member intro.

I do have and run a usb flash drive with no problems. As far as the folder structures goes I use Windows Explorer to build my folders. It's something I always done. Hope this all makes sense as I honestly don't know how to explain it but will try my best.

Start first with the artist folder
then album folder
Next comes the more trickier part:
right click on the track/s in the album folder
click on properties
on the General tab type in the artist - track title. Pay special attention to the artist, space, dash, space, track title seqence
then click on the Summary tab
click on advanced if not visible
fill in the Artist, Album Title, Genre (not necessary) and Title areas
click OK and one track is set
you have to repeat these steps for each track invidually. It seems like quite a lot but easy once you got it figured out.

Remember also if you want the albums and songs in the correct manner it was recorded to insert numbers before each. Such as 1 first album, 2 second album, 3 third album and same with the songs. Also to note if more than 10 songs on a particular album to use 01 first song, 02 second song, 03 third song and so on. Same thing here with the use of the space bar.

After all is completed your album folder from the Window Explorer should show you something like this.

Van Halen - 01 Runnin' With The Devil
Van Halen - 02 Eruption
Van Halen - 03 You Really Got Me
Van Halen - 04 Ain't Talkin' Bout Love
Van Halen - 05 I'm The One
and so on

Hope this all made sense and helps you out.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by silvergls
First off, Hi from another 2011 GLS owner. Just signed on and did my New Member intro.

I do have and run a usb flash drive with no problems. As far as the folder structures goes I use Windows Explorer to build my folders. It's something I always done. Hope this all makes sense as I honestly don't know how to explain it but will try my best.

Start first with the artist folder
then album folder
Next comes the more trickier part:
right click on the track/s in the album folder
click on properties
on the General tab type in the artist - track title. Pay special attention to the artist, space, dash, space, track title seqence
then click on the Summary tab
click on advanced if not visible
fill in the Artist, Album Title, Genre (not necessary) and Title areas
click OK and one track is set
you have to repeat these steps for each track invidually. It seems like quite a lot but easy once you got it figured out.

Remember also if you want the albums and songs in the correct manner it was recorded to insert numbers before each. Such as 1 first album, 2 second album, 3 third album and same with the songs. Also to note if more than 10 songs on a particular album to use 01 first song, 02 second song, 03 third song and so on. Same thing here with the use of the space bar.

After all is completed your album folder from the Window Explorer should show you something like this.

Van Halen - 01 Runnin' With The Devil
Van Halen - 02 Eruption
Van Halen - 03 You Really Got Me
Van Halen - 04 Ain't Talkin' Bout Love
Van Halen - 05 I'm The One
and so on

Hope this all made sense and helps you out.
Thank you, yea it all makes sense. I never really got around to adding meta data tags to all my tracks but if this is the only way to get it to display properly then I better get started! Anyway thanks again, and i hope your enjoying your elantra gls as much as I am!

Old 01-08-2011, 06:55 PM

I guess i do have one more question, does anyone know what the largest usb drive capacity can be used? 16gb? 32gb?

Old 01-08-2011, 09:54 PM

Thank you, yea it all makes sense. I never really got around to adding meta data tags to all my tracks but if this is the only way to get it to display properly then I better get started! Anyway thanks again, and i hope your enjoying your elantra gls as much as I am!
No problem. I'm still learning something new everyday.
Yeah, still lovin' my gls. Very Happy indeed!

I guess i do have one more question, does anyone know what the largest usb drive capacity can be used? 16gb? 32gb?
Though I only own 8g flash drives I did a 16g test once with a 16g sd card in a usb adapter and it worked perfectly fine.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:41 AM

word, so 16gb is a positive, anyone know if a 32gb will work? I may just get a couple 16gb ones if not. That might be easier to deal with anyway, less albums to sort through per disk.