Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Correct output for crank position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:55 PM

No change.. it was not the crank position sensor. I am out of ideas folks..

edit: I checked the timing belt.. I put a chalk mark on it to make sure its moving, and it is.

Is it possible that the rest of the injectors need to be replaced? There was a chalky deposit in the fuel rail.. I replaced injector #4 because I thought it was faulty, and now the #4 plug is always wet when trying to start.

Last edited by bernd; 01-14-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:08 PM

I pulled the rail out and put a shop rag underneath it. Tried starting it, and the only evidence of fuel spray is coming from #4, the new injector. Huh... I guess that's the problem, but I didn't suspect all of the injectors would go at the same time. I'll update once I get the remaining injectors replaced.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bernd
I pulled the rail out and put a shop rag underneath it. Tried starting it, and the only evidence of fuel spray is coming from #4, the new injector. Huh... I guess that's the problem, but I didn't suspect all of the injectors would go at the same time. I'll update once I get the remaining injectors replaced.
yeah that is REALLY strange if all injectors went at once....in theory its impossible! maybe something got into the fuel and jammed them up? as rare and odd as it would be, only thing i can think of.

here's what i'd do: go to a junkyard and get a bunch of injectors for the same engine. they're easy to pull, you can get them cheap...if you're honest and don't pocket them.

come home and swap in the new ones. if it works, well something really bloody odd happened...if not then i suspect a wiring or ECU issue. hell, i'd even pull a spare ECU at the junkers. sometimes trial and error is the easiest way to diagnose.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:49 PM

Update: I bought a used fuel rail and a set of injectors from a parts car, installed it and she started right up. When I took apart the original fuel rail the first time, I found a white chalky substance deposited along the bottom. I don't know what caused it.. ethanol? water in the gas? I think that stuff worked its way into the injectors binding them up. I'm just glad its running again.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Banned

good work man always a good feeling when you figure out something like that, and sometimes you do have to replace parts and hope it works. a quick trick for injectors i should have remembered (my bad): get a mechanics stethoscope, they're not expensive. it just as a steel rod on it instead of the hollow pad you use on humans. put it on an injector and you should be able to hear a definite snap from it.

the chalky substance...i'm almost wondering if its aluminum oxide, the fuel rail is aluminum. cheap gas caused corrosion over long term, then some of that crap got into the injectors and blocked them up.

i'd replace the fuel filter while you're at it. if its anything else going on, its going to be saturated with that crap.