Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Elantra GLS 2010 MPG Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Default Elantra GLS 2010 MPG Problem

I'm back again with my 2010 Elantra GLS..I copied this from my posts on another Hyundai forum and thought someone here would have a suggestion..

My mileage is still well below any acceptable range. I am a careful driver and still am getting only 20.5 in the city and with a mixed 200 miles of city and highway, the very best I get is 24 mpg. I have 2600 miles. I live in South Fl...very flat terrain..

I have had it to 2 dealers/4 times..the last time was the first that either actually wrote down my complaints and I was given a service record, although it didn't even list the few complaints I gave the service writer. They told me I didn't need any paperwork,as it was entered in the computer..When I spoke with customer relations at Hyundai, they didn't find one entry.

I finally got the service manager to schedule an appointment with a factory field engineer on June 1. The service manager wants to have the car for a day before this so he can check the mileage.

If this problem cannot be corrected, I suppose I have no choice but to get involved legally...Ugh!

I will update after this episode is over.

Update 5/29/10 3000 miles

Although I have an appointment on Tue with the Hyundai factory engineer, the dealer suggested I bring in the car so they could test the mileage themselves. I did that yesterday and just picked up the car.

Their report says they drove the car for 49 miles both highway and city with the AC on and they got 29.1 MPG.

I must repeat that I drive/drove the car on the same local roads as they and use the same(various brands) of gas as they, and keep 34 in the tires. They could have performed this very test at one of the 3 previous visits. Their interest was to be able to inform the engineer that no problem was found.
I asked for a specific printout of the testing procedures, but was told by a gum chewing, snotty cashier, that this is all they're allowed to give me.

I have yet to get more than 21 MPG in city and max of 24 combined. I reiterate that I bought this 2010 on the basis of having driven the very same 2009 rental, and easily got 26 in the city and 34-36 combined. I saw the following site extolling all the great mileage achievements, but I'm not sure

http://green.autoblog.com/2009/09/21...el-efficiency/

I'vr been in this world for many years and all this reminds me of is the same lack of caring and service we used to get in the past, when only American car manufacturers existed.

If anyone has any suggestions about how to proceed without going toward litigation, I would appreciate it..