Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Elantra Windshield Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Default Elantra Windshield Cracked

I used my car one day, then the next morning I found the windshield cracked.

It absolutely had not been cracked the day before, and nothing hit it while I was out.

I very carefully ran my finger all over the area where the cracked started. I could neither see nor feel anything at all....not the tiniest mark or divot or chip.

The Service Manager at my local Hyundai spent quite a bit of time looking and running his fingers over the area. He got a magnifying glass and did it all over again, spending several minutes doing this before proclaiming that yes, there was a tiny impact area that caused the crack. Case closed. No replacement under warranty.

As an aside, about two years ago I had a leak in the passenger side. After several attempts at trying to seal the windshield, they finally took out the windshield and re-installed and re-sealed it.

I am wondering if anyone else has had a problem with their windshiled.

Thanks for any help.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:40 PM

Only problems when something hits it hard enough just right..

Wife van suffered impact, started out as crack,, no big deal,, van set out in summer heat and cabin temp blew the crack all over the place.

My Dec-1988 (1989) Toyota w/335,000 mile still has original window, it is kinda blasted from debris over time, and have heard many a tick on the glass, but I have never busted my windshield yet.

I have crack some 4 or 5 HELLA headlamp housings on the Toyota (european housings for off road), and at close to $100 each, I aint buying anymore.

Last edited by sbr711; 02-08-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

How do you know nothing hit it while you were out? Maybe a kid threw a stone. Maybe a rock was kicked up by a car driving by. Either way, cracked windshields happen all the time and it's not Hyundai's fault. Replace it and move one. Yeah, it sucks but stuff happens.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Momcat55

It absolutely had not been cracked the day before, and nothing hit it while I was out.

I very carefully ran my finger all over the area where the cracked started. I could neither see nor feel anything at all....not the tiniest mark or divot or chip.

The Service Manager at my local Hyundai hid light kits spent quite a bit of time looking and running his fingers over the area. He got a magnifying glass and did it all over again, spending several minutes doing this before proclaiming that yes, there was a tiny impact area that caused the crack. Case closed. No replacement under warranty.

As an aside, about two years ago I had a leak in the passenger side. After several attempts at trying to seal the windshield, they finally took out the windshield and re-installed and re-sealed it.

Thanks for any help.
Yea that sucks but something had to have hit it for it to crack like that. It just happen to hit at the perfect strength and speed. Just hope it doesnt happen again =)

Old 02-17-2011, 08:30 AM

Its possible that if it wasn't installed correctly a crack could develop over time from one of the sides and spread inward towards the center. Most glass places will warranty their work, but its probably only for a year, so you may be out of luck. Check with your insurance to see if you have glass coverage.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:56 PM

Lots of insurance companies will repair (not replace) a cracked windshield for no charge, no deductible, and no hit to your insurance premiums. They will even come to your home or office. Takes about 20 minutes, and I've had this done a couple of times.

Depends on the size of the crack in the windshield - check with your insurance company. A small crack will ALWAYS turn in to a BIG crack if not repaired - it's just a matter of time.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Default Factory manufacturing windshield defect?

I bought my new Elantra 2011 at the beginning of January. I think there's a problem with the windshield. It seems to chip very easily even with a small pebble. Has anyone else experienced any similar problems? I already have 6 or 7 spots and it's been only 3 months.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Momcat55

The Service Manager at my local Hyundai spent quite a bit of time looking and running his fingers over the area. He got a magnifying glass and did it all over again, spending several minutes doing this before proclaiming that yes, there was a tiny impact area that caused the crack. Case closed. No replacement under warranty.

Thanks for any help.
I have 2009 Elantra, i had same problem with the windshield but since i had insurance to my car, they paid the repair cost.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:55 AM

Rented a 2011 Hyundai Elantra last week. Couple days later came out and windshield had crack - passenger side bottom. No chip mark(s), no potholes or curb incidents. Body flex? Returned car and was charged for new windshield. Replacement less than deductible. Anybody else have a mystery cracked windshield?

Old 11-22-2011, 01:59 AM

The windsheild in the '96 elantra i have has been replaced due to a crack forming in the right corner. of course not long after replacing guess what? another crack formed in the same spot! So we just said F it and left it alone. the crack went from edge to edge on the glass at the corner so it can't really get worse. I'm guessing there's a bend in the frame somewhere? who knows. there's no telling whats been done to it before my sister got it. (since its gone to my grandfather, then to me)

Quick Reply: Elantra Windshield Cracked