Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Heater Control Knob/lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Default Heater Control ****/lights

I just bought a 2002 Elantra GT for my daughter.
Just a minor annoyance but I noticed the lights behind the heater control **** is out. How does one remove the dial and get to the bulb? Does the dial just pull out? I assume there is a bulb behind the dial and not indside the dial.

Thanks.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Heater Control ****/lights

You have to pull the whole unit out. However, the first thing to try is to push the **** in HARD. My bulb went out, and I did that and it came back on. It's gone off a couple times since then, and pushing on the name turned it back on.

If that doesn't work, you have to remove the control. It's not as hard as you would think, even when you hear that you have to remove the whole dash fascia. To remove the fascia, take out the ash tray. Behind it are two Philips head screws. Take them out. Take out the two other screws in the instrument cluster bezel (above it). Then just pull out starting at the ash tray end, and pull outward, pulling the pop-fasteners out, until you get all the way around to the door. Finally, disconnect the electrical connectors for the clock, switches, etc. that are mounted in the fascia. Each one has a tab that needs to be pressed to release the connector. Once all the wires are disconnected, the fascia comes right off. The first time you do this, it'll probably take about a half hour. The second time is about 5-10 minutes.

Once the fascia is off, you can see the screws that mount the AC Heater Control. Remove them and you should be able to pull it out.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:51 PM
Default RE: Heater Control ****/lights

Thanks! I will give it a try tomorrow.
Your detailed response isvery clear and much appreciated. It elimates the guesswork!
I also did some further surfing got lucky and found the appropriate line drawings at http://www.hmaservice.com/.

Cheers!