Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Low Speed Engine Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Default Low Speed Engine Stalling

Bought myself an auto 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS Sedan in Feb. of 2007. Up until this moment I have had only minor issues with this car. Now, I am having a problem with low-speed engine stalling. The car will literally die after driving it for thirty minutes or so and it won't start again for almost 45 mins after the fact. It died while getting off the freeway yesterday and died two more times from Renton to Seatac. Concerned that this could be the MAF sensor. A friend said possibly a crank shaft sensor. I also have an issue with the heater. It just stopped working one day and only blows cold air now. And my right tail light blows out every 4 to 6 months. Anybody got any ideas???

-Patricia

Old 05-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Default RE: Low Speed Engine Stalling

The car will literally die after driving it for thirty minutes or so and it won't start again for almost 45 mins after the fact. It died while getting off the freeway yesterday and died two more times from Renton to Seatac. Concerned that this could be the MAF sensor. A friend said possibly a crank shaft sensor.
A bad MAF sensor might make the idle rough and kill the gas mileage, but I've never experienced engine stalling. I do agree that the symptom are consistent with a failing crankshaft position sensor. Either way, you should get the car connected to a code scanner that can determine what error codes are stored in the car's computer. These can be rented or borrowed from auto parts stores, or you can take it to a mechanic. This would be the first step in diagnosing the problem. I'm surpirsed the check engine light hasn't come on and stayed on.

I also have an issue with the heater. It just stopped working one day and only blows cold air now.
This is usually caused by poor coolant flow from a low coolant level in the radiator. I would check that level as soon as possible. At the same time, check the condition and adjustment of the belt driving the water pump. A failing water pump would be the worse case scenario for this situation (which if leaking, would leave the radiator low). You haven't noticed that the engine is starting to run on the hot side when it stalls, have you?

And my right tail light blows out every 4 to 6 months.
Hmmm, are you sure the bulbs are burning out? I'd check the ground wire to the right rear light. It may be corroding or loose, but by pulling out the back of the fixture and changing the bulb you may be establishing just enough ground contact to keep it working again short term. Otherwise, make sure the fixture is screwed up tight against the body and not jiggling loose. May be someone else has a better idea for this problem.

Good luck.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Default RE: Low Speed Engine Stalling

low speed stalling could be caused by fuel pump. poor ground, pump connector might be burning out.