Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

My Car think's the Door is open

Old 03-31-2008, 09:25 PM
Default My Car think's the Door is open

I sure hope I can describe this well enough. You know when you leave the keys in the car and you try to get out and lock the doors, the car warns you and will not let you lock the doors because the keys are still in the ignition? The little chime goes off to alert you to the fact that the keys are still in the ignition.

My trouble is, now, as soon as you put the key in the ignition, the car must think the door is open (although the door open light does not come on the dash) because the light on the lower part of the door is always on, the chime is always going off and even though you are sitting in the seat with the door shut, the car will not allow the doors to lock.

Does that make sense? You get in the car and shut the door. The light on the lower panel of the drivers side is on all the time. As soon as I put the key in the ignition, the chime begins and the doors will not stay locked.

Any ideas on what is going on and how I might fix it?

Thanks for any help!

Old 03-31-2008, 10:26 PM
Default RE: My Car think's the Door is open

Check the button switch mounted in the sill of the door, usually on the forward sill between the door hinges. These sometimes corrode from exposure to moisture and road salts. Try pushing it in with your finger and see it works smoothly or hardly moves at all. It should spring out when released. If the switch doesn't have much play in it or doesn't spring back very far, try pulling it out. Pushing the switch all the way in should turn the door light out. If it doesn't, the switch is bad and should be replaced. Also, check the switches on all doors, including the back hatch (if a hatchback). Sometime this problem is caused by a switch on another door besides the driver.

If one of the door sill switches isn't the problem, then your problem is more complicated.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:41 AM

Thanks for your response. After reading your advice, I went out this morning, flashlight in hand to see if that would help.

I did find the switch but all four door switches seem to be working fine. Even on the driver's side where the problem is, when I push it in, the light on the dash telling me a door is open goes out and so does the dome light. Yet the light on the door stays on and the car will not let the doors lock, (when the key is in the ignition and you are sitting in the driver's seat, you can lock the doors if you are outside of the car).

If this is as you say and is a bit more complicated, is this someone any car repair place should be able to figure out and fix or would I need to take it to the Hyundai dealer? (Sorry, I know so little about cars!) The dealer is some distance away and I have a very trustworthy repair shop nearby?

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2008, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

What kind of car? If you have an Elantra hatchback or an SUV (Tucson, Sante Fe, etc) maybe the problem is the rear hatch or the hatch glass is not fully closed.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:46 AM

It is an Elantra GLS I think. No hatch back. 2001 if that helps.

Any ideas?