Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

PLS HELP! What the heck is going on with my Hyundai Elantra?? Video Included!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Default PLS HELP! What the heck is going on with my Hyundai Elantra?? Video Included!!

so my car has been havin this problem for the last 2 months or so the first time it happened was about 2 months ago...i tried to start the engine it made a funny noise wouldnt start...tried again an hour later and it started with no problem....

ran perfectly fine for the next couple of weeks but then it happened again...same thing funny noise wouldnt start...waited an hour or so and it magically started working again

well fast forward to this morning it happened again and this time i was close enough to my house to get the noise/visuals on camera

please watch this video to hear/see the noises that it makes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja1gUka7Qkc

please take note that towards the end the car starts losing its juice and it isnt even able to make a rattling noise anymore.

also please note i took it to Kragen a week ago and had them perform a battery/alternator test the guy said my battery looked completely fine..

what gives? anyone have any idea whats going on?

by the way my alarm is also "stuck" now...i went and locked my car with the little beeper..10 min later i needed to go back in the car and get something it wouldnt unlock with the beeper anyjmore so i had to unlock the car manually this set off the alarm but not the normal alarm noise that it makes...its making this chirping noise

so now in addition to my car not starting + making a weird noise when i try to start it..i have to deal with the chirping alarm

PLEASE HELP!

Old 03-21-2009, 04:30 PM

Clean the battery posts and replace both the positive and negative battery cables with new ones.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by ken99
Clean the battery posts and replace both the positive and negative battery cables with new ones.

im not saavy with cars at all can you tell me what you mean by clean battery post and replace +- cables with new ones?

how is that different from replacing the whole battery?

Old 03-21-2009, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by HyundaiCarProblem
im not saavy with cars at all can you tell me what you mean by clean battery post and replace +- cables with new ones?

how is that different from replacing the whole battery?
Because you are not replacing the battery. Have new cables installed that connect the battery to the car's electrical system. These often corrode as bad as the battery posts themselves. The posts are where the cables connect to the battery. Those should be cleaned anytime new cables are attached or the battery is serviced. A mechanic will understand.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by ken99
Because you are not replacing the battery. Have new cables installed that connect the battery to the car's electrical system. These often corrode as bad as the battery posts themselves. The posts are where the cables connect to the battery. Those should be cleaned anytime new cables are attached or the battery is serviced. A mechanic will understand.
hello and thank you for your response

if i may ask..

1.) how do you know just by the video that the battery cables need to be replaced and posts cleaned instead of just replacing the whole battery?

2.)how much do u think it will cost to replace the cables/have posts cleaned by a mechanic?

thank
s

Old 03-21-2009, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by HyundaiCarProblem
1.) how do you know just by the video that the battery cables need to be replaced and posts cleaned instead of just replacing the whole battery?
The click-click-click you hear when you turn the key is the starter solanoid. The solanoid is nothing more than a heavy duty relay switch that transfers the full current load of the battery to the starter. This is the sound the solanoid makes when insufficient current is available. Autozone said your battery and alternator checked out OK. I would guess the cables and connectors are corroded bad enough that the alternator is having trouble charging the battery to capacity. Insufficient current from battery would also make the alarm go nuts. Do I know this is absolutely sure? No, but I think it is as good of diagnosis as one can make over the internet.

2.)how much do u think it will cost to replace the cables/have posts cleaned by a mechanic?
OEM parts from an aftermarket supplier should be $25 to 35. An hour of independent labor is ?...$65 in my area. I am guessing $90 to 100. Less if less labor is needed. More for both if you take the car to a Hyundai dealership.