Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Power loss on first acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 04:26 AM
Default Power loss on first acceleration

Hi All,

I have a 98 1.6gls auto elantra. When I start it after it has been standing for a while (half a day or so) like in the morning and after work, it will start fine and rev up and go back down to idle but as soon as I touch the accelerator, be it in neutral drive or reverse it loses power and feels like it is going to die but then suddenly picks up and goes.

This only happens right after I start the car for the first 100m or so of stop go... Then the car is fine and accelerates instantly without the lag, as if it needs to warm up so it looks like the issue is temperature related.

I have checked for vacuum leaks around the tappet cover with carb cleaner, I have removed the negative terminal from the battery for 10 mins to reset the ECU, I have put my foot flat on the accelerator and put the ignition to ON for a minute and then off and still it does the same.

I have replaced the ATF fluid and serviced the car but I still have the power loss.

I have check the coolant temperature sensor and that seems to be working fine - could there be another sensor that could be causing this ?

All help will be appreciated!

Thanks
Travis

Old 11-17-2015, 07:44 PM

You are going to have to do several tests first before finding out what the problem is.
My suspect would be the IAC valve or TPS.