Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Power Stearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Default Power Stearing

Do I really need a special power stearing fluid for my 1997 Elantra?? the "Stealer Ship" wanted over $12 for a small bolltle! Or can I buy someting at Checker or Autozone that will do?
Thanks, Chris

Old 04-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Default RE: Power Stearing

It's your lucky day! The attachment is a copy of the steering lubrication chart to your 97 Elantra. It specifies Dexron II automatic transmission fluid for the power steering pump. Dexron II has evolved into Dexron III. You can go to Walmart or most any discount store (as well as Checker and Autozone) to buy this. Given what petroleum prices are, you're still likely to spend $5/quart. Also, avoid "universal" power steering fluids. My daughter has a 97 Nissan Sentra which also uses Dexron II/III in the PS pump. She had her oil changed at one of those quicky places that used a "universal" fluid to top off the power steering. The seals in the steering rack now leak because the incompatable fluid corroded them.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4972/655234AD363C4A6C9270B7DDD693DB4B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-29-2008, 10:09 PM

Well then my next question is can I just use automatic transmission fluid? Or do i still need to but a seperate power steering fluid?

Old 04-29-2008, 10:53 PM

Well then my next question is can I just use automatic transmission fluid? Or do i still need to but a seperate power steering fluid?
Hmmm...I'm not sure I understand your question or questions, so I'll try to cover as many bases as possible.

All automatic transmission fluids and power steering fluids are simply hydraulic fluids. On many, many cars the same type of hydraulic fluid is used in both systems. Your car is not one of those. The fluid specified by Hyundai for use in your power steering is "Dexron II/III" type automatic transmission fluid. While Dexron II/III is specified for your power steering system, your transmission requires a differnet type, Hyundai SP-II (now SP-III) automatic transmission fluid. Never mix different type fluids for use in either the power steering or transmission. The specifications for Dexron II/III is widely licensed by GM for manufacturing by a large number of companies, therefore, competition makes it one of the cheaper types to buy. SP-III is a proprietary formulation developed by Mitsubishi and used exclusively by Mitsubishi and Hyundai, hence it tends to be more expensive. Yes, I could have told you to go buy "Dexron III power steering fluid", but you would have then been further confused when the guy at Autozone handed you a quart of Dexron III ATF instead.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:14 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm all straightend out now!!

Old 05-01-2008, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: ken99

Hmmm...I'm not sure I understand your question or questions, so I'll try to cover as many bases as possible.

All automatic transmission fluids and power steering fluids are hydraulic fluids. On many, many cars the same type of hydraulic fluid is used in both systems. Your car is not one of those. The fluid specified by Hyundai for use in your power steering is "Dextron II/III" type automatic transmission fluid. While Dextron II/III is specified for your power steering system, your transmission requires a differnet type, Hyundai SP-II (now SP-III) automatic transmission fluid. Never mix different type fluids for use in either the power steering or transmission. The specifications for Dextron II/III is widely licensed by GM for manufacturing by a large number of companies, therefore, competition makes it one of the cheaper types to buy. SP-III is a proprietary formulation developed by Mitsubishi and used exclusively by Mitsubishi and Hyundai, hence it tends to be more expensive. Yes, I could have told you to go buy "Dextron III power steering fluid", but you would have then been further confused when the guy at Autozone handed you a quart of Dextron III ATF instead.
Sorry to pick nits here but it's DEXRON fluid, not DEXTRON. I know this is a minor thing but it's a very common mistake a lot of people make.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:51 PM

Sorry to pick nits here but it's DEXRON fluid, not DEXTRON. I know this is a minor thing but it's a very common mistake a lot of people make.
Thank you. I've corrected my postings.