Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

probably an well discussed problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 09:11 PM
Default probably an well discussed problem

Hi
I am new to Hyundais and just purchased a 2001 Elantra 1800 auto hatch.
When driving last weekend after 100km and using more accellerator to go uphill the car started dying. After dropping back to 50kph it came good.
Research indicated a bad fuel filter.
After downoading instructions I replaced the filter however the write up said I had 8 screws to remove the pump, it actually had a big round threaded cap.
Everything went back, but the car won't start. Trying to startr in 5 second goes went through 20 attempts to start with no luck. I can hear the pump running for a second or so after each stat attempt.
If I remove the fuel line off the top of the pump and turn the kry on fuel squirts up about 100mm 0r 4 inches so I assume the pump works, or should it squirt higher?
I have read that the seal for the fuel pump with the two washers and O rings need to be a perfect seal or no pressure build up, but would a poor seal allow fuel to squirt up the 100mm or should it really power upwards with the ignition on?
Any help would be appreciated
Cheers
Ian

Old 02-25-2014, 06:51 AM

Spray should be stronger. Sounds like you may have put together incorrect. By reading your system I would have to say you may have a missfire problem. (Worn spark plugs and or ignition wires) . Is the check engine light on? Also the only way to verify correct fuel pressure is by using a fuel pressure gauge using special adapter .

Old 02-26-2014, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Erichshonda
Spray should be stronger. Sounds like you may have put together incorrect. By reading your system I would have to say you may have a missfire problem. (Worn spark plugs and or ignition wires) . Is the check engine light on? Also the only way to verify correct fuel pressure is by using a fuel pressure gauge using special adapter .
Thanks for your response. I have had the pump assembly out and in about 8 times and still no start.
I swapped the new filter back out and put the old one back in and the car started on the second five second turn over. Now I don't know what to think. Could it be a faulty filter?
At least I am back on the road, but nothing has been resolved.
Cheers

Old 02-27-2014, 05:39 AM

Did you buy a oem Hyundai fuel filter of aftermarket? If aftermarket maybe that's part of this problem.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:57 PM

The filter only came in a plastic bag from someone who bought for thier own car and sold the car before using it, so it may have OEM or no name gear.
Cheers