Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

AT question..

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 03:21 AM
Default AT question..

I have an '03 Elantra gls (auto. transmission).. I was wondering: why is it that the automatic is so slow with its acceleration?
Also, I've had sort of a problem, or occurrence for some time now with my elantra- when accelerating, around 70 mph, the rpm's seem to lower a few hundred as if there is some kind of hindrance.. Why is this?

Old 06-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Default RE: AT question..

How many miles and have you had the AT serviced at its perscribed intervals? And if so what did this consist of? Dealer visit? What fuid was used by said technician?

Old 06-06-2006, 01:11 PM

It has about 62k miles, and I've just recently had my transmission fluid changed using Valvoline Maxlife at a local shop that I go to for maintanence.

Old 06-06-2006, 04:27 PM

Yeah, from what Ive gathered...youre screwed! Hyundais since 1996 require special (dealer only) SP-III ATF...good luck with all that.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:03 AM

Did this problem develop after you changed to the Vavoline Maxlife? I ask as my 2002 Mitsubishi Galant requires SP III and I changed it sometime back at 80,000 miles to Valvoline Maxlife which is a semi-synthetic. Valvoline indicates Maxlife meets/exceeds SP III, however, I had problems with Maxlife in my transmission. I changed my fluid to full synthetic AMSOIL and my transmission performs great. AMSOIL is a superior product to Valvoline Maxlife which I'm sure Valvoline would disagree. You may consider changing your fluid back to SP III or AMSOIL Synthetic. You will find AMSOIL Synthetic more expensive.